Questions about Xbox Series X

As someone that's been exclusively gaming on PC for many years now, there were a few things I was interested about when it comes to the new consoles, mainly the Xbox Series X.

I was wanting to know about how games work on it. I've heard that if you own Xbox games on it then you can also play them on PC, and was wondering how that process works. Is it just streaming to the PC, or can you actually download and install it on the PC and play it that way. Also how does Xbox live versions of PC games compare to Steam releases. I ask cause I seen something some years back how for one game (might have been one of the Tomb Raider games) there were little to no configurable settings for the graphics. Are you basically locked to what the console can put out?

Also when it comes to Xbox live, do I need to be a gold member to be able to play Xbox games on PC, or to use other online services such as Hulu.

I'm mainly interested in looking into getting the Xbox because the possibility of GTA 6 taking a year or so to arrive on PC, also the console prices are pretty appealing. Also I don't have any gaming devices in my bedroom, so it would be a nice way to game a bit before I go to bed at night, while also being able to game on my PC with any games I buy for the Xbox

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

1 hour ago, Inception9269 said:

I was wanting to know about how games work on it. I've heard that if you own Xbox games on it then you can also play them on PC, and was wondering how that process works.

It only applies to specific games that are part of Play Anywhere, such as the Forza games and Halo.  AFAIK no third-party game is included.  You have to install them via the Xbox App on PC.

Last I checked you don't need Xbox Live Gold to play online on PC, but I'd double check what their website says in case this has changed.

GTA 6 almost certainly will not be included.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

As someone that's been exclusively gaming on PC for many years now, there were a few things I was interested about when it comes to the new consoles, mainly the Xbox Series X.

I was wanting to know about how games work on it. I've heard that if you own Xbox games on it then you can also play them on PC, and was wondering how that process works. Is it just streaming to the PC, or can you actually download and install it on the PC and play it that way. Also how does Xbox live versions of PC games compare to Steam releases. I ask cause I seen something some years back how for one game (might have been one of the Tomb Raider games) there were little to no configurable settings for the graphics. Are you basically locked to what the console can put out?

Also when it comes to Xbox live, do I need to be a gold member to be able to play Xbox games on PC, or to use other online services such as Hulu.

I'm mainly interested in looking into getting the Xbox because the possibility of GTA 6 taking a year or so to arrive on PC, also the console prices are pretty appealing. Also I don't have any gaming devices in my bedroom, so it would be a nice way to game a bit before I go to bed at night, while also being able to game on my PC with any games I buy for the Xbox

The Games are simply ported for Xbox + PC. It's really quite that simple. You can Stream on PC to play consoles, if your PC is too weak but that's only for Xbox Pass Ultimate. XBOX vs Steam nowadays are more or less the same, Microsoft finally removed the dumb folder encryption for their games, so many mods that work on steam can more or less work on xbox PC versions of the game more or less. 

AFAIK there is a list of what each "tier does" but I'm fairly sure the cheapest options allow both playing games on PC and XBOX, but there is a tier that is required for xbox console to play online. ( Your Xbox account is tied to both XBOX console + PC so you can just swap back and forth between playing console or PC + list of games available for both )

id' just buy a used console honestly, it's more cheaper/vastly easier to obtain. Just make sure it works and you're pretty golden.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

3 minutes ago, SImoHayha said:

The Games are simply ported for Xbox + PC. It's really quite that simple. You can Stream on PC to play consoles, if your PC is too weak but that's only for Xbox Pass Ultimate. XBOX vs Steam nowadays are more or less the same, Microsoft finally removed the dumb folder encryption for their games, so many mods that work on steam can more or less work on xbox PC versions of the game more or less. 

AFAIK there is a list of what each "tier does" but I'm fairly sure the cheapest options allow both playing games on PC and XBOX, but there is a tier that is required for xbox console to play online. ( Your Xbox account is tied to both XBOX console + PC so you can just swap back and forth between playing console or PC + list of games available for both )

id' just buy a used console honestly, it's more cheaper/vastly easier to obtain. Just make sure it works and you're pretty golden.

My PC is rock solid, 7800x3D cpu with 3080 ti. The main appeal for the Xbox is the ability to share games between it and my PC, while also being able to play GTA 6 when that comes out. Also, I read online that with the Edge browser on the console it supposedly is possible to take advantage of Geforce Now to stream games from your Steam library to the console. I'll likely do more research on this before I move forward with anything. I'll likely wait until Black Friday / Cyber Monday before buying anything, to see if there's any good deals.

I honestly haven't messed around with consoles for a few years now, and haven't had any interest in them for a really long time. When it comes to my TV, the only times I ever use it is at the end of the day for an hour or so before going to sleep, but with the Xbox it would allow me to be able to play games again in the comfort of my bedroom, with the added value of potentially being able to access my Steam games from it.

I also want to rule out the PS5 and the Switch as options. I genuinely despise both Sony and Nintendo for various reasons, and in the case of the Switch I see no reason to go for it, considering there's other avenues that can be explored there. As for the PS5, the only game of theirs that I'm even remotely interested in that isn't on Steam yet is GoW Ragnarok, but not enough to make me want to buy a PS5.

you own Xbox games on it then you can also play them on PC

Heavily depends on the Dev. For instance Dead Cells does not share the save file between my console and my pc while Spelunky 2 and Hollow Knight will. Side note the use of couston skins in bedrock on PC will not sync to series X. 

Is it just streaming to the PC

You technically can do sorta cloud gaming off of the console but you are better off seeing if you can download it to your pc. For your sake do this as a last resort because the connection to the Xbox is a far cry from the glory days of Xbox Console Companion (RIP)

Gold has been discontinued(RIP also) in favor of a Heavily stripped down version of game pass. TLDR you need a sub for ONLINE MULTIPLAYER GAMING 

Also the Series X is basically a significantly more powerful Xbox one but with a few features removed: Toslink, HDMI IN(for routing a cable box through, and an IR out

Also, if you run out of storage you don't need to use the proprietary port on the back. You can plug in an external drive to the Xbox though it is limited to usb 5gig and like the lithium battery magic mouse in dumb ideas, the only usb that can do this is the front one. You know, for charging docks, their wireless headset, and the Elite series 2 controller. You are best off using it for non Series X games and get this: captures(TAKE THAT SONY).

PS,

To download the games on PC you will need wait for it: The Xbox app *Distant Screams*. There is a way to set permissions to your PC for offline playing of your games. Also, not all games on the Series X are on PC and vice versa meaning GTA 6 will be stuck to the console

If you want to use Steam Input for accessibility regarding a dumb binding that can't be fixed in game (or if you want a turbo button) you will need to find a program to interface the uwp file to exe on Steam. It as frustrating as it sounds. I found one called "UWP Hook" but I don't remember where I found it

One note as well, the Series X also does not support Kinect and when I say that the 5 people that like it for its gimmicks and terrible Alexa ripoff are raging at this

19 hours ago, ARandomPerson said:

PS,

To download the games on PC you will need wait for it: The Xbox app *Distant Screams*. There is a way to set permissions to your PC for offline playing of your games. Also, not all games on the Series X are on PC and vice versa meaning GTA 6 will be stuck to the console

If you want to use Steam Input for accessibility regarding a dumb binding that can't be fixed in game (or if you want a turbo button) you will need to find a program to interface the uwp file to exe on Steam. It as frustrating as it sounds. I found one called "UWP Hook" but I don't remember where I found it

One note as well, the Series X also does not support Kinect and when I say that the 5 people that like it for its gimmicks and terrible Alexa ripoff are raging at this

I ultimately decided to go out and buy the Series X now instead of waiting, since who knows if I'd even be able to get one come Holiday season, since that's what everyone will be doing. Also with my friends employee discount at his workplace I was able to save nearly $50. Also I am pretty impressed by all that you can get from the Game Pass service.

I looked around online and found this one service called Parsec, which appears to be a much better way to play my Steam games on this console, by removing into my PC through the Edge browser.

I think Geforce Now is the only viable option for cloud gaming, it supports steam/ubi/xbox/epic games and if your internet is above average with a decent ping it looks pretty close to native and on top of that supports 4k/120 on a 4080 card with a decent CPU. I have been using it for forza motorsport and am able to get 70-90fps at 4k maxed RTX on. it doesn't always look good with my setup but 99 percent of the time its close enough to native I forget im streaming, their really isn't moments of this looks bad I should run 4k/30 natively instead, its just good. I tried xbox cloud and it was a blotchy mess, maybe you guys have better luck but here in canada it looks terrible