3600 + 3070, 550 or 850W

Moonzy

im pairing a 3600 with a 3070, can i get away with 550W or it's better to bump up to 850W?
it's a typical gaming PC with 1 or 2 HDD max, no OC or undervolting, will be running stock

i alr have the parts, but i also dont wanna just toss in the 850W if i dont have to because of weight constraints.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Should be fine, 3070 will draw 250w max, 3600 will do about 150 max, so that leaves the rest for the other components. If it is a good quality psu it should be fine, which one is it?

Just now, Blasty Blosty said:

Should be fine, 3070 will draw 250w max, 3600 will do about 150 max, so that leaves the rest for the other components. If it is a good quality psu it should be fine, which one is it?

CX550M or RM850x

It is a "low-end" power supply, but I think it will work. If you want to be certain and avoid any issues, then get a new PSU. But it should turn on and game just fine.

14 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

It is a "low-end" power supply, but I think it will work. If you want to be certain and avoid any issues, then get a new PSU. But it should turn on and game just fine.

I suddenly remembered that the CX550M got paired with a 3090 under 100% 24/7 load for several months, so i am not comfortable giving it to someone to use on a daily basis

RM850x it is

case closed

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I suddenly remembered that the CX550M got paired with a 3090 under 100% 24/7 load for several months, so i am not comfortable giving it to someone to use on a daily basis

RM850x it is

case closed

Good shout, better to be safe than sorry

CX550M has a double forward topology on the primary side. With a 3070 GPU it would have coil wine and probably the transformer makes a loud noise because it can't handle power spikes.

1 hour ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Surprised it could handle a 3090 tbh

3900x undervolted to 0.8v or something, plus 3090 running at 70% power limit or something, but it's still near 500W mark total, 24/7 non-stop load for half a year

my UPS went kaput from that (blown MOSFET), lol, i doubt the PSU is far either
im bringing the system to other countries to give it away to a non-techy person, so i probably wanna stay on the safe side

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

3900x undervolted to 0.8v or something, plus 3090 running at 70% power limit or something, but it's still near 500W mark total, 24/7 non-stop load for half a year

my UPS went kaput from that (blown MOSFET), lol, i doubt the PSU is far either
im bringing the system to other countries to give it away to a non-techy person, so i probably wanna stay on the safe side

Fair enough, power supplies are vitally important to keep in good shape