An 8TB drive is not recognised in an old machine

ianm_ozzy

Hi

It is an old motherboard z77-D3h-MVP  16GB - latest BIOS. i7-3770k cpu.

I back to use it for backups specifically truenas and setup shares.

The drive is not shown  by the BIOS at all.

It is an 8TB seagate ironwolf.

The drive itself works as I tried it in an external sata docking station. It was recognised and can read the files on it.

I Tried different connections & sata cables. An old 2TB  connected with the same one is fine.

It uses an old 500W power supply. 

I have a few sata SSDs in there also - 4 of.

Thoughts I had:

The power supply struggles and cannot power it - but one hard drive?

A pcie  sata adapter that can recognise it? 

Any suggestion not involving spending a lot of cash are appreciated.

Thanks

Main Machine: CPU: 5800X3D  RAM: 32GB  GPU: RTX 3080  M/B: ASUS B550-E Storage: 2 x 256GB NVME boot, 1/2 TB NVME OS: Windows 10, Ubuntu 22.04

Server1:  M92p micro  CPU: i5-3470T  RAM: 8GB OS: Proxmox  Virtual Machines: Opnsense router, LXC containers: netboot server, download manager

Server2: CPU: 3600X  RAM: 64GB M/B MSI B450 Tomahawk  OS: Proxmox  Virtual machines: Windows 10, 3 x Ubuntu Linux, Truenas scale (16TB logical storage)

19 minutes ago, ianm_ozzy said:

It could just be the motherboard is old and it doesn't recognize what a 8TB drive is.  Or the old motherboard doesn't support a particular standard of the SATA for the HDD. So that might explain why the external dock can load up your 8TB but the motherboard itself wont.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

24 minutes ago, ianm_ozzy said:

The power supply struggles and cannot power it - but one hard drive?

Sits in an enclosure? Recognizes in a dock on the same machine? Maybe the enclosure is cooked? 

1 minute ago, SImoHayha said:

Or the old motherboard doesn't support a particular standard of the SATA for the HDD. So that might explain why the external dock can load up your 8TB but the motherboard itself wont.

Possibly, but if you've pulled the drive out of the enclosure to dock it, I'd more likely say the enclosure's cooked. They still interface over USB. 

2 minutes ago, s3_gunzel said:

Sits in an enclosure? Recognizes in a dock on the same machine? Maybe the enclosure is cooked? 

Possibly, but if you've pulled the drive out of the enclosure to dock it, I'd more likely say the enclosure's cooked. They still interface over USB. 

I think he said that the HDD doesn't work when plugged into the motherboard via SATA port.

But when he takes it out to put into a docking station, the system recognizes it. I doubt the "enclosure is cooked" since the enclosure/Dock station is the thing that is well recognizing it.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

40 minutes ago, ianm_ozzy said:

I Tried different connections & sata cables.

10 minutes ago, SImoHayha said:

I think he said that the HDD doesn't work when plugged into the motherboard via SATA port.

Ah yes, so he did. I missed that bit. Thanks for pulling me up on that. Enclosure failure would have been far too simple. 

The drive was working fine in the enclosure connected to a different machine.

The situation is becoming a little stranger.
So It takes a while to boot when the drive is attached. I think the BIOS is trying to interact with it and fails.  It does not show in the BIOS in the ata option. All other drives do. The machine can still boot.

I booted up truenas scale on the machine in question,and logged into it.
I checked the SSD pool in case it broke anything.
Nothing broken and the drive is the as unused.

It makes no sense.
Not seen in BIOS, but can see it in the OS.

The question now is would it be safe to use as a backup machine?
Will it work as expected.

I need to determine if it is a power supply issue, or because it is an old old motherboard?

Useful info appreciated.
Thanks

Main Machine: CPU: 5800X3D  RAM: 32GB  GPU: RTX 3080  M/B: ASUS B550-E Storage: 2 x 256GB NVME boot, 1/2 TB NVME OS: Windows 10, Ubuntu 22.04

Server1:  M92p micro  CPU: i5-3470T  RAM: 8GB OS: Proxmox  Virtual Machines: Opnsense router, LXC containers: netboot server, download manager

Server2: CPU: 3600X  RAM: 64GB M/B MSI B450 Tomahawk  OS: Proxmox  Virtual machines: Windows 10, 3 x Ubuntu Linux, Truenas scale (16TB logical storage)

32 minutes ago, ianm_ozzy said:

well if the HDD cannot be seen in the BIOS when you plug the HDD to the motherboard. I think it's just the motherboard is old and doesn't know how to handle a 8TB HDD. Honestly you could just leave it in the external dock and use it that way I would, it still techincally works, though speeds won't be at top shape but you'll still be able to use it regardless.

2 hours ago, SImoHayha said:

well if the HDD cannot be seen in the BIOS when you plug the HDD to the motherboard. I think it's just the motherboard is old and doesn't know how to handle a 8TB HDD. Honestly you could just leave it in the external dock and use it that way I would, it still techincally works, though speeds won't be at top shape but you'll still be able to use it regardless.

External docks are flakey and not so reliable at the best of times, but have their uses.

The point of this is so I do not need to use it.

Now the drive is in a machine accessed using a network share, (2.5Gb) using zfs instead of the awful ntfs.    Also it can check the drive status through smart.  Those docks cannot do that.

I will copy the 6TB of games over to it tomorrow while out.  It is for  backup of my games.

6TB of  games downloads from steam and such, will have ll be a severe time issue.

14 hours ago, ianm_ozzy said:

It makes no sense.
Not seen in BIOS, but can see it in the OS.

Nope, quite normal, as by default, the bios/uefi will show you the boot option, and some of the CSM setting, and initiate type of HDD (MBR, GPT) just do not work together.

And well it also depends on the bios, some do show all connected devices (like in SATA options for hot plug etc), and other only show boot options in boot menu. 

Like just scroll down a little. 

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)