GPU/CPU compatibility question, GPU pick Etc..

DJpanda808
Go to solution Solved by TatamiMatt,
28 minutes ago, NotReak said:

If u don t upgrade to a Ti super version and just a 4070 super you can keep the 650W power supply and put that into the cpu

13600K should be plenty fine for that build, id maybe recommend a i7 13th gen or higher for a 7900xtx or 4080 or higher but for a 4070 or 7900xt or lower that should be plenty fine

Hi everyone thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond 🙂

I currently have an RTX 3060ti paired with an Intel I5 13600k, trident 16gb 3200mhz ram, 650W gold PSU and I think an Asus Strix B660 A (ddr4 support). (i currently use 1080p)

I wanted to upgrade my PC and go for a 27'' QHD monitor, here are the upgrades I was thinking of: 

-up the ram to 32gb 3600mhz

-Change the 3060ti for a 4070 TS 

-get an 850W PSU 

Tbh I don't want to change my CPU and/or my motherboard as I don't have money for all the changes even though I understand there might be a little bit of bottleneck if I get the 4070TS. Should I go for it? I can't change both my GPU and CPU so does my GPU pick make sense considering I play very heavy-duty games (preferably on high settings)?

You will always have a bottleneck in a system, and your i5 should be able to keep up with the GPU for the time being, you will get 95% of the performance with the setup.

Just now, Blasty Blosty said:

you will get 95% of the performance with the setup

As in the system will not be bottlenecked much, but a new cpu would help

Nevermind, after researching the CPU should be plenty powerful enough for the GPU

2 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

As in the system will not be bottlenecked much, but a new cpu would help

Nevermind, after researching the CPU should be plenty powerful enough for the GPU

Okay great thank you, so do my upgrade picks make sense? I really got lost in all the new/old 4070's and the 4080's so I wanna make sure the 4070TS is a good pick 

10 minutes ago, DJpanda808 said:

Okay great thank you, so do my upgrade picks make sense? I really got lost in all the new/old 4070's and the 4080's so I wanna make sure the 4070TS is a good pick 

I assume you mean the Ti Super? Personally I am going for just the Super when I upgrade, as it is cheaper and fits my budget better. But if your budget allows it, the Ti Super does offer superior performance and specs.

Your other upgrades also make sense, as 32GB of RAM may be beneficial and a higher wattage PSU is a good move, especially with a TS.

1 minute ago, Blasty Blosty said:

I assume you mean the Ti Super? Personally I am going for just the Super when I upgrade, as it is cheaper and fits my budget better. But if your budget allows it, the Ti Super does offer superior performance and specs.

Your other upgrades also make sense, as 32GB of RAM may be beneficial and a higher wattage PSU is a good move, especially with a TS.

I see, yeah I looked at the super a lot but for the first time in my life I want a high-capacity PC and as my budget doesn't allow the 4080 I think I'll go for the 4070 Ti super even though it'll push the budget a little. 

Thanks for reaching out ✌🏻

Just now, DJpanda808 said:

I see, yeah I looked at the super a lot but for the first time in my life I want a high-capacity PC and as my budget doesn't allow the 4080 I think I'll go for the 4070 Ti super even though it'll push the budget a little. 

Thanks for reaching out ✌🏻

No bother, hope the upgrades go well, and if they don't the community is here to help

If u don t upgrade to a Ti super version and just a 4070 super you can keep the 650W power supply and put that into the cpu

58 minutes ago, DJpanda808 said:

Hi everyone thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond 🙂

I currently have an RTX 3060ti paired with an Intel I5 13600k, trident 16gb 3200mhz ram, 650W gold PSU and I think an Asus Strix B660 A (ddr4 support). (i currently use 1080p)

I wanted to upgrade my PC and go for a 27'' QHD monitor, here are the upgrades I was thinking of: 

-up the ram to 32gb 3600mhz

-Change the 3060ti for a 4070 TS 

-get an 850W PSU 

Tbh I don't want to change my CPU and/or my motherboard as I don't have money for all the changes even though I understand there might be a little bit of bottleneck if I get the 4070TS. Should I go for it? I can't change both my GPU and CPU so does my GPU pick make sense considering I play very heavy-duty games (preferably on high settings)?

Dont get 3600MHz RAM, itll be useless to you, just get 3200MHz, you wont be able to run those extra 2 sticks at that speed

Unless you were buying a whole new kit

Do you do any Ray Tracing? If not a 7900xt might be a better choice, up to an extra 5% or so performance for about the same price or cheaper

If you are RTing, NVidia cards trump

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

28 minutes ago, NotReak said:

13600K should be plenty fine for that build, id maybe recommend a i7 13th gen or higher for a 7900xtx or 4080 or higher but for a 4070 or 7900xt or lower that should be plenty fine

System specs:

4 hours ago, DJpanda808 said:

650W gold PSU

What's the brand and model of this unit?

18 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Dont get 3600MHz RAM, itll be useless to you, just get 3200MHz, you wont be able to run those extra 2 sticks at that speed

Unless you were buying a whole new kit

Do you do any Ray Tracing? If not a 7900xt might be a better choice, up to an extra 5% or so performance for about the same price or cheaper

If you are RTing, NVidia cards trump

Oh, I won't have 4 ram sticks, I was planning on selling my current ones and just buying 2 sticks of 16gb-16gb (most likely corsair). I think my motherboard will be able to run 3600mhz no?

Also for your other question, yeah I did do some research on AMD vs NVIDIA but I do use ray tracing even with my 3060ti so yeah if I get a high-level card I will use RT and make the games look as beautiful as possible. But thank you for the info and suggestions!

15 hours ago, --SID-- said:

What's the brand and model of this unit?

I'm not with my PC rn and I bought it like 5 years ago so I don't remember the name of the brand 😅

I just know for a fact that it is gold rated and 650w

2 minutes ago, DJpanda808 said:

Oh, I won't have 4 ram sticks, I was planning on selling my current ones and just buying 2 sticks of 16gb-16gb (most likely corsair). I think my motherboard will be able to run 3600mhz no?

Also for your other question, yeah I did do some research on AMD vs NVIDIA but I do use ray tracing even with my 3060ti so yeah if I get a high-level card I will use RT and make the games look as beautiful as possible. But thank you for the info and suggestions!

Yeah thats perfectly fine then, just make sure the CL is as low as possible 3600CL18 is usually the sweet spot, or else itll actually perform worse than the 3200

4070TS should be leaps and bounds ahead of the 3060Ti for ray traced games etc then

System specs:

19 hours ago, NotReak said:

True, but the one main thing holding me back from that is that my CPU is a pretty new and still solid model for gaming, but in the graphics department I really want something that will hold good performance for as long as possible. Great idea though thank you for the recommendation!

3 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Yeah thats perfectly fine then, just make sure the CL is as low as possible 3600CL18 is usually the sweet spot, or else itll actually perform worse than the 3200

4070TS should be leaps and bounds ahead of the 3060Ti for ray traced games etc then

Ohhh that's true, it's been a while doing ram research since I got mine like 4 years ago and still using them hahah. In that case i'll definitely go for these ones "Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2x16) 3600 MHz DDR4 CL18"

Much appreciated !