Safely removing heatsink clips

da na
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

Usually I just squeeze the little pop-out tabs in with needlenose pliers and push them through the PCB. They might need to be pulled back out with a small flathead screwdriver afterward, but they're good to reuse at least a couple times.

I have a GeForce 7600 in desperate need of repasting - 73 idle on the desktop and 100 within seconds of launching FurMark - but its heatsink is held on by plastic clips with springs.

Much like these:   

Spoiler

image.png.7bae089fb20b0b4041c75f5158d10850.png

They work like drywall anchors in that they aren't supposed to come out once inserted. This is a pretty big problem because I cannot find replacements for these exact spring clips, after all the heatsink assembly is nearing 20 years old. 

I have tried squeezing the end with pliers and pulling the pin from the other side, they usually get part of the way through the PCB and then get stuck. 

I also feel like these clips provide poor mounting pressure, would it be an awful idea to replace these clips with a set of four bolts and nuts to hold the heatsink on? I'd use rubber washers to prevent contact with nearby SMD components and to hopefully prevent the GPU die from shattering from slightly uneven pressure as I screwed them into place. The card has no backplate so I can't just easily replace these with screws, I'd need something to hold them on the other side.

Any help would be appreciated! 

P.S. please no "buy new GPU" responses.

1 minute ago, da na said:

would it be an awful idea to replace these clips with a set of four bolts and nuts to hold the heatsink on? I'd use rubber washers to prevent contact with nearby SMD components and to hopefully prevent the GPU die from shattering from slightly uneven pressure as I screwed them into place.

That would probably work fine, if you feel fancy you could also spring load them by putting a spring between the screw head and the heatsink, maybe with a washer to stop the spring from sliding over the screw head.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

3 minutes ago, da na said:

I have a GeForce 7600 in desperate need of repasting - 73 idle on the desktop and 100 within seconds of launching FurMark - but its heatsink is held on by plastic clips with springs.

Much like these:   

Hide contents

image.png.7bae089fb20b0b4041c75f5158d10850.png

They work like drywall anchors in that they aren't supposed to come out once inserted. This is a pretty big problem because I cannot find replacements for these exact spring clips, after all the heatsink assembly is nearing 20 years old. 

I have tried squeezing the end with pliers and pulling the pin from the other side, they usually get part of the way through the PCB and then get stuck. 

I also feel like these clips provide poor mounting pressure, would it be an awful idea to replace these clips with a set of four bolts and nuts to hold the heatsink on? I'd use rubber washers to prevent contact with nearby SMD components and to hopefully prevent the GPU die from shattering from slightly uneven pressure as I screwed them into place. The card has no backplate so I can't just easily replace these with screws, I'd need something to hold them on the other side.

Does it look something like this?

POINT OF VIEW NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT 256MB R-VGA150812 PCIe 8717344964470 |  eBay

If so, how do these lock into place as it just looks like  little bit of spring loaded plastic, do the spring loaded parts lock something into place?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Usually I just squeeze the little pop-out tabs in with needlenose pliers and push them through the PCB. They might need to be pulled back out with a small flathead screwdriver afterward, but they're good to reuse at least a couple times.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 minutes ago, da na said:

would it be an awful idea to replace these clips with a set of four bolts and nuts to hold the heatsink on? I'd use rubber washers to prevent contact with nearby SMD components and to hopefully prevent the GPU die from shattering from slightly uneven pressure as I screwed them into place. The card has no backplate so I can't just easily replace these with screws, I'd need something to hold them on the other side.

IMHO, if you can make sure it's safe for the GPU, mainly not shorting something or worse. I don't see why not

I'm not gonna tell you to buy a new gpu, I'd just tell you to stop buying and using ancient stuffs 😛

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

4 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Does it look something like this?

POINT OF VIEW NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT 256MB R-VGA150812 PCIe 8717344964470 |  eBay

If so, how do these lock into place as it just looks like  little bit of spring loaded plastic, do the spring loaded parts lock something into place?

Lovely card!

Mine are much simpler, just a T with a V on the bottom. 

The spring is on the top side of the PCB in the shaft of the T-shape. The bottom bit contracts as it is pulled thru the PCB then expands to hold in place. 

image.png

6 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Thanks! I'd never considered using a screwdriver to set the clips back to their starting position; that worked great in getting it secured.

Card used a very dry old thermal pad, no wonder it was so hot

image.thumb.png.d78f2c7c731789fb706fc7571b3a5c68.png