Looking for some expertise.

Hello ladies and gents, 

I am FINALLY this year building my new desktop. I've been waiting a long, long time for this so I'm pretty excited. Was wondering if there's any issue with using 2 x (2x32GB) memory kits from corsair to max out my RAM. I know I probably don't need 128GB, but that's besides the point. This is going to be my only and last chance to build what I want for probably a very very long time, so practicalities is sort of secondary to wants this time around. 

Anyway, here's my list of parts. I'm open to any friendly advice about any of them, but in particular I want to know about the memory question. Will 2 x 64GB kits (So 4 x 32GB modules) function as a whole 128GB kit? Is there any disadvantage to doing it this way? Looking for honest and friendly advice. Thanks in advance!

MOBO - Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Formula
CPU - Intel Core i9 14900K

Memory - CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 6400MHz CL32 (CMH64GX5M2B6400C32W)

GPU - MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GDRR6X
Storage - Samsung 990 Pro 4TB
AIO - MasterLiquid 360 ATMOS
Case Fans - 6 x MasterFan MF140
PSU - ASUS Thor 1200P

8 minutes ago, CDNBC250 said:

Was wondering if there's any issue with using 2 x (2x32GB) memory kits from corsair to max out my RAM.

Yes. 4 DIMM configs are notoriously bad with DDR5 with 4x32GB/4x48GB being a special breed of bad, at best being limited to super slow memory speeds like 4400MT/s, or at worst the system just not booting.

I know I probably don't need 128GB, but that's besides the point.

Then don't run 4 DIMMs of memory. 

Is there any disadvantage to doing it this way?

Yes, boot times will be atrocious, memory speeds will be atrocious, and if you aren't using that memory there isn't any reason to do this. 

If you're dead set on having a ludicrous amount of RAM, get 2x48GB as that should work at something like 6000 CL30/6400 CL32 without too much trouble. From my experience, boot times will still likely be terrible, but no where near as bad as 4x32GB or 4x48GB. 

Yeah 4 dims on ddr5 is just bad right now. You basically have to sacrifice alot of performance just for the extra memory. Also I doubt 64gb of ram will be an issue anytime soon and like someone else suggested you can always go 2x48 if you really are worried about ram being an issue like 7 years from now. 

Thanks everyone for your time and responses. I am very disappointed to hear about the current issues with DDR5. I'll have to look again because I'm doing a white build (sort of just fell into it), so I don't know if Corsair has any Vengeance 2x48GB kits in white. At the very least I can run with 64GB, which is still quite a bit. 

Thanks again!