AM4 OR AM5

I'm currently running an I7 8700 with some Corsair ddr4 3600mhz and a rx5700xt. 

Most of my favourite games are really CPU intensive like Hoi4, Anno 1800, Cities Skylines 2 and I've noticed quite a major bottleneck.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a R7 5000 or 7000. My problem is that I don't really have a massive budget but I also do want to be future proof so I'm not sure if I should get AM4 or AM5.

All advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance!

I don't know a lot of jack about AM5, but I have lots of... AM4.

Why not Intel? Their CPUs are good too.

Get some D5 while at it, it might be worth if you're building up a secondary rig.

Ooo another paradox fan

Paradox has thing thing called shitty game optimization, so amds stronger fewer cores are way better.

AM5 will be supported for longer, am4 is actually dead now. Am5 is the future, go with that.

Can we see the build?

I thought paradox was a spaniel dog... must have been the school. Lol.

Honest opinion? Yes, go D5. Make it Intel while at it.

3 minutes ago, Motifator said:

I thought paradox was a spaniel dog... must have been the school. Lol.

Honest opinion? Yes, go D5. Make it Intel while at it.

Why intel? He’s gaming and nothing else. And he’s gaming paradox games, optimized for single core performance

Just now, Linuswasright said:

Why intel? He’s gaming and nothing else. And he’s gaming paradox games, optimized for single core performance

You really got me on the 7th there... 😄 

Intel is good too... though. You don't know how much of it he plays and whatever else he does.

2 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Intel is good too... though. You don't know how much of it he plays and whatever else he does.

Sorry, my amd fanboyism is showing. For everything he’s mentioned, amd cooks, and it’s generally also going to be cheaper. 15th gen might change that, but I think it’s unlikely b/c of the cost of p&e cores. I think, in general and overall, for price to performance, and cooks. Same with graphics cards

8 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Got a bit over 5000h between those 3 games I listed 😅

2 minutes ago, Kuldar_Joel said:

Got a bit over 5000h between those 3 games I listed 😅

lol be so fr

500hrs hoi4 300vicky3 100eu4

Depends on your budget.

AM4 with the 5800x3d would be a cheaper upgrade, since you would only need a cheap b450 motherboard and the CPU. Could ever get a used motherboard and potentially a used CPU as well.

AM5 would require you to buy new RAM as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

If you're keeping it AM4, just get a CPU with an iGPU. Trust me, when this whole system goes down and they pull your gaming plug out, you'll understand why...

realistically though, there are lots of good AM4 CPUs to this day...

would I still recommend a dead platform? Uh... nope. Go D5.

36 minutes ago, Motifator said:

If you're keeping it AM4, just get a CPU with an iGPU. Trust me, when this whole system goes down and they pull your gaming plug out, you'll understand why...

realistically though, there are lots of good AM4 CPUs to this day...

would I still recommend a dead platform? Uh... nope. Go D5.

Huh? And what’s D5?

1 hour ago, Linuswasright said:

Huh? And what’s D5?

AM4 is still passable. Some of the components are fine, can be bought new, etc.

It doesn't take DDR5 but that's a lot of cash to begin with.

There's not much inherited wrong with buying an older platform. Most DDR5 is still overpriced or crap from what I've been gathering.

4 minutes ago, Motifator said:

AM4 is still passable. Some of the components are fine, can be bought new, etc.

It doesn't take DDR5 but that's a lot of cash to begin with.

There's not much inherited wrong with buying an older platform. Most DDR5 is still overpriced or crap from what I've been gathering.

Bruh who writes it d5 and not ddr5

Why get an igpu when a gpu lets u upgrade and keep graphics

13 minutes ago, Linuswasright said:

Bruh who writes it d5 and not ddr5

Why get an igpu when a gpu lets u upgrade and keep graphics

What's wrong with a CPU that includes an iGPU though? Ultimately it's the best of both worlds if you want to minimalize the configuration, aka going ITX.

If your whole life is gaming on a PC, sure keep the GPU, focus on it whatever.

Otherwise, since this guy is building another PC... they might as well make it two PCs and get a CPU with an iGPU. Heck I run 4 PCs in my house and am thinking to run more... 

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

What's wrong with a CPU that includes an iGPU though? Ultimately it's the best of both worlds if you want to minimalize the configuration, aka going ITX.

If your whole life is gaming on a PC, sure keep the GPU, focus on it whatever.

Otherwise, since this guy is building another PC... they might as well make it two PCs and get a CPU with an iGPU. Heck I run 4 PCs in my house and am thinking to run more... 

where’d he say build another? I thought he wanted something he could upgrade easily, which I guess igpu fits in. But price to performance, you can build a system that has a gpu that performs better, and if he does a big leap forward you can always use the gpu for something. Also, where did he say go itx?

one final counterpoint; hoi4 no gusto slow single core CPUs, especially with low l3 cache (wow another productive day in paradox offices doing nothing), and most igpu are those two problems. He wants bang for buck, not super specific stuff. Igpu s are good in very specific times (except when they are super baller) and you can build upgradable systems, that perform better, and where the guy doesn’t need to buy a gpu later down the line when he upgrades his slow cpu.

23 minutes ago, Kuldar_Joel said:

Would my Rx 5700xt bottleneck a r5 7600?

In paradox games? My Rx 7600 goes like 0% in hoi. In everything else? Probably. A better gpu would be good. What’s you budget, and do you have a pcpp list? Also, you’ll still notice a big bump up in performance if you’re cpu bottlenecked rn, you’ll just see a bigger one when u get a better gpu down the line. It should still hit past 100fps at 1440p