ancient ipad screen flickering and wont turn on

i have been pulling old tech things from around my house and seeing what i can do with them. This ipad a1219 does this whenever i plug it in. does anyone know what the issue might be and if its fixable. Idk if id to through with repairing it, but id like to know if its possible

the battery has gone completely flat and is probably ruined.
your best bet is to try to find a apple 30 pin to firewire cable and the special firewire port charger. those for whatever reason charge the devices harder and in some cases can make it run even without a working battery.

Otherwise just let it sit plugged in for a day and see what happens

36 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

the battery has gone completely flat and is probably ruined.
your best bet is to try to find a apple 30 pin to firewire cable and the special firewire port charger. those for whatever reason charge the devices harder and in some cases can make it run even without a working battery.

Otherwise just let it sit plugged in for a day and see what happens

okay ill give it a try. problem is i dont own one. they are kind of pricey and hard to find. I do have old macbooks with firewire ports. do you know if that extra power works from a macbook or will i need the charging brick aswell? Just tryna save some money

4 minutes ago, fps102 said:

okay ill give it a try. problem is i dont own one. they are kind of pricey and hard to find. I do have old macbooks with firewire ports. do you know if that extra power works from a macbook or will i need the charging brick aswell? Just tryna save some money

oh I wouldn't actually buy one unless you want to try recovering data off the thing.
you can probably get a working ipad mini or something for less than that special charger and cable, and the cable isnt even a given if it will fix the problem. it very likely wont.

I'd let it charge overnight, see if that does anything, if not. Toss it. Literally not worth putting time or money into. An iPad this old won't be useful for much. It will not have up to date versions of IOS or the Apps they are mainly used for. Outside of anything basic like safari or note taking it's useless. Even then Safari may be out of date to where it doesn't have the security updates necessary to even browse the web securely.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

27 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I'd let it charge overnight, see if that does anything, if not. Toss it. Literally not worth putting time or money into. An iPad this old won't be useful for much. It will not have up to date versions of IOS or the Apps they are mainly used for. Outside of anything basic like safari or note taking it's useless. Even then Safari may be out of date to where it doesn't have the security updates necessary to even browse the web securely.

its mainly for the thrill of it. not really trying to use it for anything. I know its pretty useless, but its fun. ill do what i can, dont feel like spending money on it right now, but if i have the money and something to do, why not

On 3/6/2024 at 1:55 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

I'd let it charge overnight, see if that does anything, if not. Toss it.

It won't work, the iPlate (iPad 1) has a flat battery. It happens to a lot of them.

Fortunately the fix is easy, it just requires sacrificing a USB-A cable. Kill a dying microUSB cable is my advice

I've done it to two iPlates and both have recovered.

elephants