First Time Watercooling

Hi there LTT Fourm. I live in one of the hottest parts of Australia and when playing games on my 3070 i can use about %40 before it gets to 90*c. 

I have a GeForce RTX™ 3070 GAMING OC 8G and i can't seem to find any starting point to learn how to watercool this thing, my cpu is air cooled and is fine that way unless its easier to just watercool the whole thing.

Link to my card: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3070GAMING-OC-8GD-rev-10/sp#sp (I am unsure if i have a Rev 1 or 2, please comment how i can find out)

This is the Backplate I havce been looking at: https://www.formulamod.net/en-au/products/bykski-3070-gpu-water-cooling-block-for-gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3070-graphics-card-liquid-cooler-system-n-gv3070gmoc-x

Any info on what else i need other than the backplate would be great too as i have never watercooled before and dont know what i need

Before water cooling, you might want to troubleshoot it first if it's the gpu that has the issue or it's really just too hot in your place. It's summer here in asia, even when I don't have my AC on at noon, my gpu don't even reach 80c at full load. Temp here in the afternoon is around 30-40c(35c at the moment of typing). what's the average ambient temperature there? So it reached 90c, but what's the idle temp? Does your case have decent airflow? what is the fan curve of your gpu? Because who knows, you might just need to repaste the gpu or fix/add thermal pads. Or you might even just need increase the fan curve.

15 minutes ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

Link to my card: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3070GAMING-OC-8GD-rev-10/sp#sp (I am unsure if i have a Rev 1 or 2, please comment how i can find out)

Rev 2 is just the LHR version

17 minutes ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

This is the Backplate I havce been looking at: https://www.formulamod.net/en-au/products/bykski-3070-gpu-water-cooling-block-for-gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3070-graphics-card-liquid-cooler-system-n-gv3070gmoc-x

Any info on what else i need other than the backplate would be great too as i have never watercooled before and dont know what i need

You can actually buy a whole DIY watercooling kit and with that, you would be all set. Choose between hard and soft tube also makes a lot of difference in looks and how much time you will need to finish it. It depends on your taste, but most people have an opinion that hard tubing looks cleaner. However, it would be much harder to form and bend.  Alternatively, you can also just water cool the gpu and keep the cpu on aircooler. But what's your case? It's actually much easier if your case has those features already, so that you don't have to customize it, like drillings into it.

Agree with the post above, if your gpu reaches 90 degrees on 40% load, there's something wrong with the cooling, not your ambient temp

Dont know how much this will help, but i dont know what a fan curve is.image_2024-03-06_175014692.png.99a452ebd1331ee4d4131fc3447d91be.png

2 hours ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

Dont know how much this will help, but i dont know what a fan curve is.image_2024-03-06_175014692.png.99a452ebd1331ee4d4131fc3447d91be.png

What's your ambient temp ?  A 3070 at 40% load should be around +30C over ambient max

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Ambient Temp in my room is around 28-30C and PC on desktop idle is a stable 56C

15 hours ago, PDifolco said:

What's your ambient temp ?  A 3070 at 40% load should be around +30C over ambient max

11 hours ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

Ambient Temp in my room is around 28-30C and PC on desktop idle is a stable 56C

CPU  temp ? Which CPU do you use ? 

It's a bit high on Intel but okay on AM5

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

10 hours ago, PDifolco said:

CPU  temp ? Which CPU do you use ? 

It's a bit high on Intel but okay on AM5

Ryzen 5 5600X, about 50C idle

10 minutes ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

Ryzen 5 5600X, about 50C idle

That's normal on such high ambient

But the GPU should at max +20 over ambient at idle/desktop and +60 at 100%, so something is wrong in your GPU if it reaches 90c at half load

Unless you measure in f**g Fahrenheit lol 

33 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

That's normal on such high ambient

But the GPU should at max +20 over ambient at idle/desktop and +60 at 100%, so something is wrong in your GPU if it reaches 90c at half load

Unless you measure in f**g Fahrenheit lol 

so just re-apply thermals? 

also people were speaking of fan curves, i still dont know what that is but if it can help than i want to learn

7 hours ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

so just re-apply thermals? 

also people were speaking of fan curves, i still dont know what that is but if it can help than i want to learn

Download MSI afterburner and FanControl, theyll allow you to control all the fans in your computer and undervolt your GC. What case and how many fans are you using and what cpu cooler do you have?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

22 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Download MSI afterburner and FanControl, theyll allow you to control all the fans in your computer and undervolt your GC. What case and how many fans are you using and what cpu cooler do you have?

Unfortunatly dont know case name but brand is Antek. im using 2 case fans and i have a stock AMD CPU cooler

20 hours ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

Unfortunatly dont know case name but brand is Antek. im using 2 case fans and i have a stock AMD CPU cooler

Antec  NX500M

On 3/8/2024 at 10:07 PM, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

msiafterburner is a software ware you can make a custom gpu fan curve not a case...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

19 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

msiafterburner is a software ware you can make a custom gpu fan curve not a case...

I know, this other guy just asked what case i'm using so that was what i was answering

On 3/8/2024 at 5:50 PM, TatamiMatt said:

What case and how many fans are you using

5 hours ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

I know, this other guy just asked what case i'm using so that was what i was answering

2 front case fans? Do you have a rear exhaust fan, if not id try get one as itll pull the hot air away from the wraith cooler and keep it running with cooler air

Did you have any joy setting up fan curves with those apps?

System specs:

23 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

2 front case fans? Do you have a rear exhaust fan, if not id try get one as itll pull the hot air away from the wraith cooler and keep it running with cooler air

Did you have any joy setting up fan curves with those apps?

One on top of the case, and one on back of case. Both fans facing exhaust. and no i still dont understand fan curves

3 minutes ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

One on top of the case, and one on back of case. Both fans facing exhaust. and no i still dont understand fan curves

Ah right, no worries, basically. make them as simple as possible, a complicated fan curve is well, complicated and ramps up and down a lot and sounds annoying because of the constant change in pitch, basically, have them at a noise level thats comfortable until you get to a temperature they need to increase, then up it to that, etc. Fan curves are usually specific to you, i have my fan curves very aggressive as i always wear closed back headphones and i cant hear them when theyre running 100% anyway, so my curves are pretty steep, if the noise level annoys you make them less steep

System specs:

On 3/12/2024 at 5:33 PM, TatamiMatt said:

Ah right, no worries, basically. make them as simple as possible, a complicated fan curve is well, complicated and ramps up and down a lot and sounds annoying because of the constant change in pitch, basically, have them at a noise level thats comfortable until you get to a temperature they need to increase, then up it to that, etc. Fan curves are usually specific to you, i have my fan curves very aggressive as i always wear closed back headphones and i cant hear them when theyre running 100% anyway, so my curves are pretty steep, if the noise level annoys you make them less steep

i bought two Noctua NF-A12x25-PWM fans today and they should arrive next week. where should i put them and facing what way? 

9 hours ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

i bought two Noctua NF-A12x25-PWM fans today and they should arrive next week. where should i put them and facing what way? 

Do you have any front mounted intake fans?

System specs:

17 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Do you have any front mounted intake fans?

no not currently, but once these fans arrive i will have a total of 4 Fans to work with, 2 Noctuas and 2 Stock CoolerMaster fans and I can re arrange to maximise the air flow

6 hours ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

no not currently, but once these fans arrive i will have a total of 4 Fans to work with, 2 Noctuas and 2 Stock CoolerMaster fans and I can re arrange to maximise the air flow

Yeah, fire them on front intake then

System specs:

So, they arrived today. I plugged one into my Sys_Fan 2 port... And suddenly no post, no boot, no image on screen, no beeps. Nothing

6 hours ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

So, they arrived today. I plugged one into my Sys_Fan 2 port... And suddenly no post, no boot, no image on screen, no beeps. Nothing

Oh my, does it work without them plugged in?

System specs: