Is this a good buy? a noobs question

Hi, im new to homelab and NAS, but i'we wanted a NAS for quite a while. Both to develop my skills in networking, but also to use as a mediastreaming server and storage.

I'we looked at different pre-built NAS, but recently decided to go for something 2nd hand.

Since i'm no expert in networking gear, and have no experience in enterprise gear, i feel like im stumbeling in the dark when encountering some of the ads.

Two of the ads that peaked my interest is from the same company.

• HPE DL380 G9
  • 16 core (32 logic) 
  • 256 GB RAM
  • 8x 4TB SAS discs
  • 2x 1TB  SSD Cache
  • Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 @2.1GHz
  • 5000 NOK (473 USD)

• HPE DL380 G8
  • 16 core (32 logic) 
  • 256 GB RAM
  • 8x  600GB SAS 10k Discs in Raid 5
  • Intel Xeon E5-2665 0 @ 2.4 GHz
  • 2500 NOK (237 USD)

Is any of these a good buy? If this is the wrong place to ask this, please let me know 🙂 

DL380 G9.png

HPE DL380 G8.png

Ryzen 7 3700X - Asus ROG strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi) - Corsair Vengeance LPX black (8x2 3600 MHz) - Western Digital SN500 250 GB - Seagate Barracuda 3 TB - Gainware GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Phoenix “GS” - Phanteks Eclipse P400A Black - Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 Watt

You need basically nothing to run a nas. These are old servers and will consume a lot of power being a network drive.

1 hour ago, Timelesscow said:

Since i'm no expert in networking gear, and have no experience in enterprise gear, i feel like im stumbeling in the dark when encountering some of the ads.

You don't need enterprise gear for a home NAS. At its heart, a server is just a computer, and you don't need a particularly powerful computer to be a decent home NAS (unless you are running some crazy setup for like 10+ friends/family members or something). I currently use my previous gaming PC (Ryzen 5 5600, 28GB of RAM, 2x8TB HDD) as a NAS and media server, and it's plenty for me and my parents (You probably want a little more storage than that, though). I could try to help you narrow down some specs for your specific use case if you want.

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

You need basically nothing to run a nas. These are old servers and will consume a lot of power being a network drive.

That's what I feared, power consumption is absolutely going to be a factor. Since I got no experience in enterprise gear I was wondering if this was usable in a homelab and if it's a good deal.

8 hours ago, NikolakiH said:

You don't need enterprise gear for a home NAS. At its heart, a server is just a computer, and you don't need a particularly powerful computer to be a decent home NAS (unless you are running some crazy setup for like 10+ friends/family members or something). I currently use my previous gaming PC (Ryzen 5 5600, 28GB of RAM, 2x8TB HDD) as a NAS and media server, and it's plenty for me and my parents (You probably want a little more storage than that, though). I could try to help you narrow down some specs for your specific use case if you want.

I realize that a server doesn't need powerful gear to run, and that I could just use my old gaminglaptop. When I came over the ads, I was manly looking for mITX (maybe even mATX) mobos AM4 (maybe even AM3+) with at least 6x sata3. Maybe a cheap AM4 Ryzen 3/5 (or something comparable from intel) that I can undervolt, but with the option to upgrade if I want to transcode 4K video. My plan is to have at least 4x 4TB in RAID 5. For me, the main problem is space. A chassis that is thin enough to be hidden in our closet. Thinking about getting a modcase 3d printed, or if I find something cheap SFF 2nd hand 🙂 

Ryzen 7 3700X - Asus ROG strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi) - Corsair Vengeance LPX black (8x2 3600 MHz) - Western Digital SN500 250 GB - Seagate Barracuda 3 TB - Gainware GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Phoenix “GS” - Phanteks Eclipse P400A Black - Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 Watt

3 hours ago, Timelesscow said:

upgrade if I want to transcode 4K video

Use jellyfin and a low power gpu.

Basically if you want to be cheap DO NOT get mitx. Get a atx or matx system add a lsi raid card (30$) for any sata you need and you're off.

Basically a 4th gen i5 is cheap and can be made quite power efficient. 16gb of ram and q ssd and boom done.

3 hours ago, Timelesscow said:

. A chassis that is thin enough to be hidden in our closet. T

What about ventilation? These things NEED fresh air to cool ans a closet has none of that.

Also a server is LOUD AS HELL!!!!! Like a LOUD vacuum cleaner that gives hearing damage if exposed to it for long periods.

21 hours ago, Timelesscow said:

That's what I feared, power consumption is absolutely going to be a factor.

Then some used models of branded commercial PCs would be a better deal for you. I utilized, for example, a used HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF PC as NAS. Equipped with Pentium G4600 & 2 spinners, it has done pretty well in basic storage, media streaming, and 4K transcoding, while consuming only 20W of power in idle. Also, this model has 4 PCIe slots for expansions such as additional Flash storage, networking & GPU computing.

In regard of power saving, the less spinners are equipped, the lower power would be drawn, and an array of 4x 4TB would be inferior to 2 larger drives.☺️