OpenWRT AP? time to upgrade

JQam

I been using the Netgear R7500v2 as an AP for several years now.  I use it inline with my pfSense router and a cisco sg300 switch. I know its getting a bit old and its time to upgrade.  Whats a newer router yall are running OpenWRT on that won't break the bank?

12 hours ago, JQam said:

I been using the Netgear R7500v2 as an AP for several years now.  I use it inline with my pfSense router and a cisco sg300 switch. I know its getting a bit old and its time to upgrade.  Whats a newer router yall are running OpenWRT on that won't break the bank?

What about the R7500v2 is old for you? What do you need in an AP that this one isn't satisfying? Why specifically able to run OpenWRT?

If you're focusing on OpenWRT support, you'll get the most compatibility on old hardware. While I recall WiFi 6 support being available in the current Linux kernel, support for WiFi 6E and WiFi 7 isn't exactly here yet. And the few WiFi 6E devices being supported (like the Acer Predator W6) are not exactly cheap.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:16 AM, Falcon1986 said:

What do you need in an AP that this one isn't satisfying?

Coil whine seems to be getting worse and it's annoying. 😬 I'm gonna have to find a replacement soon.

6 hours ago, JQam said:

Coil whine seems to be getting worse and it's annoying. 😬 I'm gonna have to find a replacement soon.

For close to gigabit WAN speeds - ASUS TUF-AX6000 ($386)

For close to 500Mbps WAN speeds - GL.iNET GL-AX1800 ($94) or Cudy AX1800 ($59.90)

I've not tested any of these personally, but what I've seen mentioned elsewhere. GL.iNET wireless routers come with an OpenWRT variant out of the box and are pretty good value for the money.

6 hours ago, JQam said:

Is there a reason you are using a router, rather than just using an actual AP?

17 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Is there a reason you are using a router, rather than just using an actual AP?

Well I have it set up as a good ol dumb AP.  I already had it and I knew I could put OpenWRT.  At one time I was using it as a router but after I got into pfSense I converted that nighthawk to the dark side.

12 hours ago, JQam said:

Well I have it set up as a good ol dumb AP. 

My thought being was that some APs might cheaper? 

Not sure how much area you are trying to cover.  

The U6 Lite for example is about $100 (plus the cost of a POE injector if you don't have POE). Or Wifi 7 if you want.

APs are nice as they are easy to swap out as wireless technology changes. 

6 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

My thought being was that some APs might cheaper? 

You make a good point.  I'll have to take a closer look at those.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, JQam said:

You make a good point.  I'll have to take a closer look at those.  Thank you!

I started out on pfsense and switched to OPNsense a while back. I  have two APs here at my house. I mounted them to electrical boxes to make swapping them easy. I know I've already swapped out to a new set once to upgrade wireless technology, and it was literally take the old ones down plug the new ones in and it was done.  (Since the upgraded ones were Ubquiti ones too, all my settings were transferred over, just had to adopt them).

Two is already overkill for my house, but if you need more or have a dead spot, it's easy to just add another. 

Lots of other brands make APs too as well, I've just had pretty decent luck out of the Unfi ones so far. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 8:08 PM, OhioYJ said:

I started out on pfsense and switched to OPNsense a while back.

I ordered a new mini-pc that I plan to try OPNsense on.  I been using pfSense for about five years now.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:08 PM, OhioYJ said:

Lots of other brands make APs too as well, I've just had pretty decent luck out of the Unfi ones so far. 

The more I think about it, I do like the idea of just having an AP out of the box and not have to mess with configuring OpenWRT.  I just need to find one with an ethernet port out to feed my daughters computers that's in the general location of the existing AP she runs off of hardwired.

6 hours ago, JQam said:

I ordered a new mini-pc that I plan to try OPNsense on.  I been using pfSense for about five years now.

I switched after the licensing mess. However it seems Netgage has a history of shennigans , so I'm happy with my switch. For me there was no difference other than OPNsense has much more frequent updates. 

6 hours ago, JQam said:

I just need to find one with an ethernet port out to feed my daughters computers that's in the general location of the existing AP she runs off of hardwired.

You could just use a switch? That would eliminate the need for the LAN out port, and open up more options. I know a while back I added more ports to all my rooms. I messed up when I originally ran cables and only put one port in each room.