Video Suggestion - Builds vs maintenance and objective testing

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
6 hours ago, brawler839 said:

Yeah, I was hoping for something with a bit more analysis. While this is a great video, it is mostly focused on air pressure and they don't really discuss topics like push vs pull on radiators, what are easier to clean, or various filter setups and styles. There was also no analysis done on cleaning them or how they preformed vs each other (maybe one that looked really dusty actually kept the heatsink fins cleaner and actually performed better). Also, while these computers were in relatively the same location, I was hoping with the Labs set up, that maybe something more controlled could be done.

Anyway, I would love to see some kind of go-back on this topic because I have wondered myself and see a lot of questions on this kind of stuff.

The cleaning aspect boils down to where majority of the dust and bigger particles go (airflow direction and what's there to stop them. With AIOs, radiator itself is where dirt gets caught. Unless there's good filter before it. So having rad first in line makes it easier to clean vs fans.

Though the logic of it was lost with Luke's build. IIRC it was brought up with exhaust AIO. That would assume you get massive dust accumulation already inside the case.

If you want to go for suggestion, the correct thread is this

Several times Linus has installed an AIO and claimed that installing fans in a certain configuration made it easier for cleaning. I was curious if any objective testing had been done to verify this claim. 

• Attempt to dirty up some computers and don't clean them, verify their performance drops.
  • Clean them up and try and judge the cleanliness vs time it took to clean them, or allow x amount of time to clean.
  • Verify performance after a set amount of cleaning.
  • Provide tips on how to build a computer with maintenance in mind (keeping a computer off the floor, different types of filters, positive pressure).

I feel like there was a video in the past where they had a few PCs that had been set out somewhere and they had cleaned them up. It would be something to this effect, but trying to be in a more controlled basis

They did actually a few years ago

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Yeah, I was hoping for something with a bit more analysis. While this is a great video, it is mostly focused on air pressure and they don't really discuss topics like push vs pull on radiators, what are easier to clean, or various filter setups and styles. There was also no analysis done on cleaning them or how they preformed vs each other (maybe one that looked really dusty actually kept the heatsink fins cleaner and actually performed better). Also, while these computers were in relatively the same location, I was hoping with the Labs set up, that maybe something more controlled could be done.

Anyway, I would love to see some kind of go-back on this topic because I have wondered myself and see a lot of questions on this kind of stuff.

gn has done test on dust build up too. well the dust on the filter will help collect and filter more dust... but at some point it blocks and slows the air flow. back then people smoked alot and helped build up of dust killing things and probly vaping having the same problem. anyway the test after years of not cleaning it at most might see a 5c difference. but its hard to really control all the the test so things might vary.

i think pull was best because it dosent cram the dust in to the fins.

gpus use to have a anty dust thing were it would revers the fans a bit or put them to full to help dices lodge dust.

but i mean you can just clean the pc evry few years anyway... if you care that much about dust...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

6 hours ago, brawler839 said:

The cleaning aspect boils down to where majority of the dust and bigger particles go (airflow direction and what's there to stop them. With AIOs, radiator itself is where dirt gets caught. Unless there's good filter before it. So having rad first in line makes it easier to clean vs fans.

Though the logic of it was lost with Luke's build. IIRC it was brought up with exhaust AIO. That would assume you get massive dust accumulation already inside the case.

If you want to go for suggestion, the correct thread is this

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv