I Built the Slowest Brand New PC and it Sucks.

JordB
16 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

did you.. watch the video? they compared it to a used pc of the same price to try and show why you should be buying used parts instead of the bottom of the barrel new pc

Nope. They deliberately chose the worst components.

That $380 budget can get you really good stuff without having to resort to the secondhand market. I just made this combo on pcpartpicker in 3 minutes that amounts to $312.94 + shipping:

ybfd64N.png

How does the 4600G fare against the Celeron G5900? Well... numbers speak for themselves.

RzlUTRS.png

20 hours ago, emosun said:

it still bugs me when they build these ultra low end machines and just run stock windows 11 and are surprised it runs bad.

agreed, but tbh the people that would buy these type of machines likely aren't gonna use anything other than win 10/11

I have noticed that having ram full (or at least have windows use swap memory from the ssd/hdd somehow is a major problem these days. Even on my decent gaming GPU, if the RAM is full the whole system is really going to a halt. I recently had to use a few docker containers that automatically grabbed 50% of my memory and 4 of my CPU threads and after a while of working my memory would fill up because I had more stuff running. And now I could do barely anything because windows couldn't keep up.

I suspect its either a bug or a driver issue that makes things slow down that much. Its old hardware in the video but not thát old. Even if your memory isn't entirely filled up, it could still be slowed down if there's a big swap drive present. Especially in Windows 11.

I'd like to see a new attempt with a much bigger RAM to see if that fixes the issue. And perhaps get a gaming rig with too little RAM to see what its performance penalty really is.

8 hours ago, powertoys said:

Nope. They deliberately chose the worst components.

That $380 budget can get you really good stuff without having to resort to the secondhand market. I just made this combo on pcpartpicker in 3 minutes that amounts to $312.94 + shipping:

How does the 4600G fare against the Celeron G5900? Well... numbers speak for themselves.

That's a pretty legit list, honestly. If you expanded it to match the $380 budget, you can fit a 2x8gb 3200MT kit in there with some tighter timings, a B550 motherboard that would support XMP, up it to a 5600G, and maybe squeeze a 500GB NVMe drive as well. Also the Radeon graphics in the 4600G/5600G are nearly identical performance to the GT 1030, so with the processor superiority I would much rather have the Ryzen system; At least down the line you can upgrade to discrete graphics and be way ahead on the processor.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I'd rather have the slowest PC be slower for games bu not buying the GT 1030 and splurging the extra for the SSD and more RAM and just use it for retro games to get you or your kids started.

Imagine spending $50 on a CPU and you get retro games now and you as a early teen or your kids grows, you can have a platform to expand to especially as say a 13-year-old gets it and plays some oblivion and when they played a lot of games and in 4 years, they're 17 and they got some dough, maybe get a used CPU for this now obsolete platform and maybe a GPU. That machine is like the PC equivalent between an Xbox 360 and PS4 as it is.