New, Used, or Repair: My Search for an AM4 MOBO Replacement

Hey All!

IDK if this is the place to post this, but I would love some guidance on how I should proceed in getting a MOBO replacement.

TL;DR - My Asus Tuf Gaming X570 PRO-Wifi has died yesterday and my warrenty expired back in October 2023. After reaching out to Asus, I have determine that my choices are to either send it in for repair (which they said could cost anywhere from $75-$200 depending on the hardware issue) or purchase a replacement (either new or used). I would Like some advice on If I should send my board in for repairs, or just say "screw it" and buy a different one.

My current system core components are:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Radeon RX 6900xt
  • 64gb (2x32gb) of Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz cl16 RAM
  • Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSD (OS)
  • Crucial P5 plus 4TB (games and projects)
  • Corsair RMx1000 PSU

The key features I want/need on my MOBO are:

• 2.5g Lan
  • Onboard Wifi 6 or higher + bluetooth
  • two M.2 slots (at least one being PCIe 4.0)
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2 USB-C Front panel connector

So far I have narrowed down my choices to the following MOBO under $200:

1. New Boards w/ 3 Yr Warranties:
  2. Used Boards w/o Warranties:

I am leaning towards buying the Gigabyte board, as it does like 80% of what my old board did, comes with a new warranty, and it seems like the best bang for the buck. However, I am not opposed to sending my board for repair. I have a laptop and an Xbox Series X, so I'm not deviceless on the computing and gaming front, but I dont know if its worth it to potential spend the same amount of money to repair it as it would cost to just by a replacement. As for used options, I am hesitant. While they are high end MOBO's, and newer than my current one, I have heard a lot of horror stories in regards to used boards, and I don't necessarily what to be in a similar situation in a year or so (at that point, it might make more sense to just upgrade to the AM5 platform).

So, what do you guys think I should do, should I go new, used, or repaired? I am also open to different options/perspectives if you have them! I dont REALLY want to change platforms rn, but if you have differnet MOBO suggestion, I am all ears!

The Black Garnet

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

MOBO: Asus Tuf X570 Gaming Pro (wifi)

RAM:  Crucial Ballistix 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 CL-16

GPU: XFX Speedster MERC 319 AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT

CASE: Corsair 4000D Airflow (Black)

Boot: SSD: Samsung 980 PRO Internal NVMe 1TB
Storage: SSD: Crucial P5 Plus 2TB

Cooling: AIO: MSI MAG Core Liquid 240R

4 minutes ago, FoodOcean said:

Hey All!

IDK if this is the place to post this, but I would love some guidance on how I should proceed in getting a MOBO replacement.

TL;DR - My Asus Tuf Gaming X570 PRO-Wifi has died yesterday and my warrenty expired back in October 2023. After reaching out to Asus, I have determine that my choices are to either send it in for repair (which they said could cost anywhere from $75-$200 depending on the hardware issue) or purchase a replacement (either new or used). I would Like some advice on If I should send my board in for repairs, or just say "screw it" and buy a different one.

My current system core components are:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Radeon RX 6900xt
  • 64gb (2x32gb) of Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz cl16 RAM
  • Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSD (OS)
  • Crucial P5 plus 4TB (games and projects)
  • Corsair RMx1000 PSU

The key features I want/need on my MOBO are:

• 2.5g Lan
  • Onboard Wifi 6 or higher + bluetooth
  • two M.2 slots (at least one being PCIe 4.0)
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2 USB-C Front panel connector

So far I have narrowed down my choices to the following MOBO under $200:

1. New Boards w/ 3 Yr Warranties:
  2. Used Boards w/o Warranties:

I am leaning towards buying the Gigabyte board, as it does like 80% of what my old board did, comes with a new warranty, and it seems like the best bang for the buck. However, I am not opposed to sending my board for repair. I have a laptop and an Xbox Series X, so I'm not deviceless on the computing and gaming front, but I dont know if its worth it to potential spend the same amount of money to repair it as it would cost to just by a replacement. As for used options, I am hesitant. While they are high end MOBO's, and newer than my current one, I have heard a lot of horror stories in regards to used boards, and I don't necessarily what to be in a similar situation in a year or so (at that point, it might make more sense to just upgrade to the AM5 platform).

So, what do you guys think I should do, should I go new, used, or repaired? I am also open to different options/perspectives if you have them! I dont REALLY want to change platforms rn, but if you have differnet MOBO suggestion, I am all ears!

id probably also just get the new board, it will probably take ages till they might fix the old one and you run the risk of paying more than a new one and a new board with a warranty, might not hurt, especially if you got the money

15 minutes ago, Jueyyy said:

id probably also just get the new board, it will probably take ages till they might fix the old one and you run the risk of paying more than a new one and a new board with a warranty, might not hurt, especially if you got the money

Yeah, I'm thinking/feeling the same. The only thing is, since the repair COULD cost up to $200, I would like to spend no more than that on a replacement. Otherwise, I could just send it in to be repaired, you know?

The Black Garnet

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

MOBO: Asus Tuf X570 Gaming Pro (wifi)

RAM:  Crucial Ballistix 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 CL-16

GPU: XFX Speedster MERC 319 AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT

CASE: Corsair 4000D Airflow (Black)

Boot: SSD: Samsung 980 PRO Internal NVMe 1TB
Storage: SSD: Crucial P5 Plus 2TB

Cooling: AIO: MSI MAG Core Liquid 240R

5 minutes ago, FoodOcean said:

Yeah, I'm thinking/feeling the same. The only thing is, since the repair COULD cost up to $200, I would like to spend no more than that on a replacement. Otherwise, I could just send it in to be repaired, you know?

yea but the gigabyte board was 140 right, i mean you could send the mobo in so they can check and give you a price and then determine but that will take some time

Just now, Jueyyy said:

yea but the gigabyte board was 140 right, i mean you could send the mobo in so they can check and give you a price and then determine but that will take some time

also i dont know if they do that never had to deal with repair services

really depend son if you have the money and how long you wanna wait till you can start gaming again