Jump to content

Adding a new PC to a network

FrankLessilis

I have a network of about 5 computers and a printer,I want to add a new PC to it.All the pcs and the printer is connected to a central box with interent cable.(prbably a switch)

Should I just connect the new PC with an Internet cable to the switch

I have very little knowledge on networking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, FrankLessilis said:

Should I just connect the new PC with an Internet cable to the switch

If it's just about getting internet access and access to the printer, Yes.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

 

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

OS: Debian 12 (it works, or at least tries to [as of now, it's majorly broken])

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, FrankLessilis said:

I have a network of about 5 computers and a printer,I want to add a new PC to it.All the pcs and the printer is connected to a central box with interent cable.(prbably a switch)

Should I just connect the new PC with an Internet cable to the switch

I have very little knowledge on networking

depending on how many ports are on that box...

 

most likely a router, if it also deliver internet to your home. 

 

by internet cable i assume you mean Ethernet cat5 or better cable. 

 

If it says Wifi on that box it is possible to connect wireless too, As most internet box'es don't have more than 5 ports for Local area network(LAN) but your can be different. It can be full as your printer counts as one connection too. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Average Nerd said:

If it's just about getting internet access and access to the printer, Yes.

All the computers have access to the printer and the Internet 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

depending on how many ports are on that box...

 

most likely a router, if it also deliver internet to your home. 

 

by internet cable i assume you mean Ethernet cat5 or better cable. 

 

If it says Wifi on that box it is possible to connect wireless too, As most internet box'es don't have more than 5 ports for Local area network(LAN) but your can be different. It can be full as your printer counts as one connection too. 

 

I don't think it has wifi,I'll check if there are ports available 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

depending on how many ports are on that box...

 

most likely a router, if it also deliver internet to your home. 

 

by internet cable i assume you mean Ethernet cat5 or better cable. 

 

If it says Wifi on that box it is possible to connect wireless too, As most internet box'es don't have more than 5 ports for Local area network(LAN) but your can be different. It can be full as your printer counts as one connection too. 

 

If the ports are available,it is just plug and play right? Connect the internet cable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, FrankLessilis said:

If the ports are available,it is just plug and play right? Connect the internet cable?

no clue what you have but yes, private routers/switches usually don't have vlan separation of cabled ports. 

 

EDIT: Except the WAN port, (internet) would naturaly be another network than the other ports. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Robchil said:

no clue what you have but yes, private routers/switches usually don't have vlan separation of cabled ports. 

 

EDIT: Except the WAN port, (internet) would naturaly be another network than the other ports. 

 

 

I will send a picture of it as soon as possible 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FrankLessilis said:

I will send a picture of it as soon as possible 

If you already have internet that port should be occupied, unless it's one that has a fiber port or SFP for internet.. then WAN should not be used. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×