How often should I replace the terminal paste on my CPU

LeeroyGoldmane

Like I haven’t replaced the thermal paste on my CPU ever since I first applied it years ago I’m a due replace the thermal paste cause inbuilt my pc pre pandemic and I’m not sure

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You replace it whenever temps seem abnormally high. This usually translates to 5-7 years but can be longer or shorter depending on the specific paste. 

So I’m due then alright I’ll get some new thermal paste when I can also I got thermal grizzly as recommended by Linus

2 minutes ago, KaliberKitsune said:

So I’m due then alright I’ll get some new thermal paste when I can also I got thermal grizzly as recommended by Linus

You don't really need to get Thermal Grizzly stuff though, for most computers you won't notice a difference between it and the significantly cheaper Arctic MX-4 and similar. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You replace it whenever temps seem abnormally high. This usually translates to 5-7 years but can be longer or shorter depending on the specific paste. 

Pretty much what he said, thermal paste basically can’t expire. If your temps are abnormally high though it could mean that your thermal paste got dried out.

3 hours ago, Fankywanky said:

Pretty much what he said, thermal paste basically can’t expire. If your temps are abnormally high though it could mean that your thermal paste got dried out.

Can the thermal paste dry out from disuse cause i haven’t turned my pc on in like weeks

3 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

cute profile pic 🙂

Hello

1 hour ago, KaliberKitsune said:

Can the thermal paste dry out from disuse cause i haven’t turned my pc on in like weeks

No you should be fine, it takes a lot to dry out thermal paste.

8 hours ago, KaliberKitsune said:

Like I haven’t replaced the thermal paste on my CPU ever since I first applied it years ago I’m a due replace the thermal paste cause inbuilt my pc pre pandemic and I’m not sure

counterquestion: are you experiencing any issues with your CPU?

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

2 hours ago, DeerDK said:

counterquestion: are you experiencing any issues with your CPU?

I’m not sure I don’t know my CPU could be burning up and the only way I’d find out is after it dies so I’m gonna just replace the thermal paste anyway just to be safe

9 minutes ago, KaliberKitsune said:

I’m not sure I don’t know my CPU could be burning up and the only way I’d find out is after it dies so I’m gonna just replace the thermal paste anyway just to be safe

it wont, theres enough protections built into the uefi 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

19 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

it wont, theres enough protections built into the uefi 

Still better safe than sorry 

1 hour ago, KaliberKitsune said:

Still better safe than sorry 

We guarantee you, it wont, not a bad idea to repaste it anyway, but your cpu wont burn out

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

2 hours ago, KaliberKitsune said:

if you use some sort of monitoring software, like MSI afterburner, you should be able to spot that long before it happens. Also, i think modern CPUs will thermal throttle (slow down) if they get too hot, so your first indication of malfunctioning thermalpaste would be a slow cpu.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

On 2/29/2024 at 5:28 PM, Fankywanky said:

Actually, TIM can expire. Some get better over time, like phase-change compound (e.g. Honeywell PTM7950), and some have to be replaced when your temps are no longer controlled like before. 

On 3/1/2024 at 4:00 AM, KaliberKitsune said:

It won't die unless the mobo kills it. If it's too hot, your computer will shut down to protect itself. There are lots of programs that can tell you what the CPU temps are, such as what came with your mobo, or you can get software from the CPU manufacturer, and there are many 3rd party programs, like HWInfo.

Please note that the temps your mobo gives may not be accurate, so it's always better to use a program that can read the sensors in your CPU. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂