Help - Want to create DIY LED Lighting for Wooden Slat Wall

Hi All,

I was looking for some advice - consider me a noobie when it comes to electronics, power supplies and matching everything correctly. 

Please see the image attached for what I am hoping to achieve. To get something like this from the manufacturer of the wall panels is around £200. 

What I think I know: 

- I would need a plastic diffuser track to diffuse the LEDs for a more smooth light output 

- Need some LED strips, Power Supply, some form of controller

- To avoid soldering I would most likely need to buy (e.g.) 5 1m strips and cut down 3 of them to get varying lengths and discard the extra LEDs. Not the most economical, i know, but I would really like to avoid much electronic work.

What I would like:

- I dont have a soldering Iron and would like to avoid doing this as I don't have any experience in it before

- A relative plug an play solution, even if the different components are from different manufacturers (e.g. plugging LED strip into power with pre-existing connector)

Nice to have:

- Smart hope integration (Apple Homekit, or even app based) 

- Black cables to help hide (not a deal breaker) 

If anyone could advise/suggest how to do this and what components to use that would be much appreciated! Or if anyone know where I could get something similar to this without the £200 price tag that would be much appreciated!! 

Thanks in advance,

Callum 

decorative-acoustic-slat-wall-panel-led-kit-warm-white-lighting-shh-interiors-270454.webp.16a5d8578f9bcc5e1d7eba48a1e4d647.webp

For the controller look into the WLED project

https://kno.wled.ge/

You can either DIY with an ESP32 board or get something ready-made.

There are crimp connectors for popular strips e.g. from BTF so you can cut and join with no soldering needed although that's still the more reliable solution. They have FCOB stips that are already more diffuse than individual pixel strips are.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

For the controller look into the WLED project

https://kno.wled.ge/

You can either DIY with an ESP32 board or get something ready-made.

There are crimp connectors for popular strips e.g. from BTF so you can cut and join with no soldering needed although that's still the more reliable solution. They have FCOB stips that are already more diffuse than individual pixel strips are.

Definitely recommend the FCOB strips (for your use I'd still use the additional diffuser covers). A lot of people like the prebuilt WLED controllers from https://quinled.info

I like smart home and home theater tech.

My 5.1 setup consists of: Sony x90cj 75" TV, Yamaha RX-V4A Receiver, Apple TV 4k gen 2, SVS SB-1000 Pro Sub, KEF Q350 L/R, KEF Q250c Center, KEF Q150 rears.

My smart home is based around Home Assistant.

4 hours ago, Callum3321 said:

- I would need a plastic diffuser track to diffuse the LEDs for a more smooth light output 

metal plate (cooling) -> LED strip -> foam -> plastic diffuser

- Need some LED strips, Power Supply, some form of controller

120 LED/m is enough.

With 60 LED/m the foam layer would be thicker than the wood  panel.

- A relative plug an play solution, even if the different components are from different manufacturers (e.g. plugging LED strip into power with pre-existing connector)

- Smart hope integration (Apple Homekit, or even app based) 

Tuya Zigbee LED controller. They are compatible with the Phillips Hue app.

People never go out of business.