2 TB of Hard Drive have just vanished

Go to solution Solved by Helpful Tech Witch,
Just now, MeerkatGamingYT said:

What would be your suggestion then? I've gone through the BIOS too and to no avail, it doesn't show up there at all either.

it wouldnt. You need to physically switch what motherboard port the hdd uses

Hi all, Thanks for taking the time and reading. I bought a 500gb M.2 and I initialised it. I go to look at my precious new fast SSD and find that I'm missing a whole drive. It seems to have been replaced with (Image 1). Images 2 & 3 show what it comes up as in Disk Management. The only option I get for it is to select properties and that is what Image 3 is showing. 2TB of data is a lot to just lose suddenly. Any help would be great, thanks! Don't be afraid to ask for more detail if need be!

Screenshot 2024-02-28 170141.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 170248.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 170320.png

Just a guess here:
Often, the M.2 port shares its internal sata connection with sata 0/1

Your hdd is probably in that port and thus insnt visible as the m.2 diabled those ports

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Helpful Tech Witch said:

Just a guess here:
Often, the M.2 port shares its internal sata connection with sata 0/1

Your hdd is probably in that port and thus insnt visible as the m.2 diabled those ports

What would be your suggestion then? I've gone through the BIOS too and to no avail, it doesn't show up there at all either.

Just now, MeerkatGamingYT said:

it wouldnt. You need to physically switch what motherboard port the hdd uses

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, MeerkatGamingYT said:

If the M.2 slot you installed your new SSD in shares lanes with some of your SATA ports, you won't see the SATA drive.

Is the missing drive SATA?

What model motherboard do you have? Its manual will tell you if anything shares PCIe lanes.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If the M.2 slot you installed your new SSD in shares lanes with some of your SATA ports, you won't see the SATA drive.

Is the missing drive SATA?

What model motherboard do you have? Its manual will tell you if anything shares PCIe lanes.

I switched it to the sata lane that all the other drives are in and it's just showed up! The Hard Drive is a SATA one yes.