Arctic Liquid Freezer III

Ralfi
13 hours ago, Ralfi said:

I鈥檓 curious to know if temps change when you pop out those disk covers so the top fan then has some air to work with.

also... intake? @Jax-Ur

@Jax-Ur
@NorKris聽and @Ralfi have good points. Remove the bay doors and flip the rad fans around so they're intaking instead of exhausting and see if that helps.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.馃お馃槀

Posted (edited)

With the front door open and running Cinebench R23 for 60 minutes (for both tests) the results are even. With the two 5.25" panels on the temperature was a solid 77掳C, with the two panels gone (better air flow) the temperature fluctuated between 76掳C and 77掳C, mostly around 76掳C with some peaks for a short while at 77掳C.

Room temperature was around 23.6掳C

So the two 5.25" makes no noticeable difference in this particular case.

@RevGAM聽I flipped the AIO fans a few days ago and they are in intake mode.

Edit: added chart below

Here is a chart for the ~60min that it ran with the door open.

OPEN = 5,25" bay trays are removed, better air flow for third AIO fan

CLOSED = 5,25" bay trays are in place, poor air flow for third AIO fan

If you go with the Tctl/Tdie values then there would indeed be that one 1 degree difference. If you go with CPU die then there is next to no difference.

These are all averaged out from a data set of around 1835 data points (30 data point per minute) collected by HWiNFO64 7.66-5271 during 60 + 60 minute run.

image.thumb.png.78cd506791c2203b16f0ee0ab3913d3d.png

Edited by Jax-Ur
Added chart

1 hour ago, Jax-Ur said:

With the front door open and running Cinebench R23 for 60 minutes (for both tests) the results are even. With the two 5.25" panels on the temperature was a solid 77掳C, with the two panels gone (better air flow) the temperature fluctuated between 76掳C and 77掳C, mostly around 76掳C with some peaks for a short while at 77掳C.

Room temperature was around 23.6掳C

So the two 5.25" makes no noticeable difference in this particular case.

Edit: added chart below

Here is a chart for the ~60min that it ran with the door open.

OPEN = 5,25" bay trays are removed, better air flow for third AIO fan

CLOSED = 5,25" bay trays are in place, poor air flow for third AIO fan

If you go with the Tctl/Tdie values then there would indeed be that one 1 degree difference. If you go with CPU die then there is next to no difference.

These are all averaged out from a data set of around 1835 data points (30 data point per minute) collected by HWiNFO64 7.66-5271 during 60 + 60 minute run.

image.thumb.png.78cd506791c2203b16f0ee0ab3913d3d.png

what side was the fans on when聽 u did open the front?

14 minutes ago, NorKris said:

1 hour ago, Jax-Ur said:

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

7 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

that does not answer my question

23 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Oh, sorry, I thought you were trying to confirm intake or exhaust.

11 hours ago, NorKris said:

Yeah that鈥檚 another comparison I鈥檇 like to see - whether a push or pull setup makes a big difference.

Having never used nor delved deeply into AIO use, I鈥檝e always wondered which is the best way to go:

• Having intake AIO fans push fresh, cool external air over the radiator, so you鈥檙e cooling the liquid more so, but also potentially heating the inside of your case via blowing聽the heat that鈥檚 travelled from聽the CPU into the radiator.
  • Or having exhaust AIO fans push the warmer, in-case air over the radiator, so the liquid won鈥檛 be as cool. In this scenario, would you need a higher RPM to improve cooling efficiency, compared to an intake setup?

12 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

Yeah that鈥檚 another comparison I鈥檇 like to see - whether a push or pull setup makes a big difference.

Having never used nor delved deeply into AIO use, I鈥檝e always wondered which is the best way to go:

• Having intake AIO fans push fresh, cool external air over the radiator, so you鈥檙e cooling the liquid more so, but also potentially heating the inside of your case via blowing聽the heat that鈥檚 travelled from聽the CPU into the radiator.
  • Or having exhaust AIO fans push the warmer, in-case air over the radiator, so the liquid won鈥檛 be as cool. In this scenario, would you need a higher RPM to improve cooling efficiency, compared to an intake setup?

thats an known factor.聽 push is better than pull聽

41 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

You're killing me, @Ralfi! 馃槈 I'm halfway done with seeing if the MSI results can be replicated (halfway because I have a large enough case that I have to use a vertical mount for the front and side, so I have to also do it with the GC in the mobo slot).

Just remind me that you want to know about that, too, ok? I'll get to it.

13 hours ago, NorKris said:

They are currently pulling intake through the AIO radiator. I want to test mounting two 140mm like I had with my Noctua NH-U12A that would push air through the radiator but I need to find longer screws to mount them properly as the 25mm that I used before are not long enough now that the radiator is mounted.

Once I get this setup I'll run Cinebench again and see if the temperature drops further, it should in theory at least as it pushes cold air through the radiator.

Like this:

20240310_104331.jpg

20240310_104319.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jax-Ur said:

They are currently pulling intake through the AIO radiator. I want to test mounting two 140mm like I had with my Noctua NH-U12A that would push air through the radiator but I need to find longer screws to mount them properly as the 25mm that I used before are not long enough now that the radiator is mounted.

Once I get this setup I'll run Cinebench again and see if the temperature drops further, it should in theory at least as it pushes cold air through the radiator.

Like this:

20240310_104331.jpg

20240310_104319.jpg

im a fan of this 馃槃聽 this sould be better than the first option

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

im a fan of this 馃槃聽 this sould be better than the first option

Do you mean push config?

6 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Do you mean push config?

yes, pushing in is better than pulling out... dont think dirty now 馃槷

Just now, NorKris said:

yes, pushing in is better than pulling out... dont think dirty now 馃槷

I like it both ways. Oh wait, you were talking about cooling a rad. My bad. 馃ぃ馃槣

I was unable to find correct screws in any of the hardware stores I visited today so I had to McGyver the 140mm fans in front with zip ties. I ran the test without the front dust cover as it would not fit due to the zip ties.

After running Cinebench twice 60 mins with 5.25 bays closed and open here are the results and with two 140mm front pushing air through the radiator (and the three 120mm pulling air through the radiators here are the result. I have split the graphs into two for easier reading.

Room temperature ~23.4掳C

3x120mm 5.25 COVERED = 5.25" bays covered, three default AIO fans pulling cold air through the radiation

3x120mm 5.25 OPEN聽= 5.25" bays open, three default AIO fans pulling cold air through the radiation

3x120mm + 2x140mm 5.25 COVERED聽= two 140mm fans in front pushing air through the radiators, 5.25" bays covered, three default AIO fans pulling cold air through the radiation

3x120mm + 2x140mm 5.25 OPEN= two 140mm fans in front pushing air through the radiators, 5.25" bays open, three default AIO fans pulling cold air through the radiation

image.thumb.png.b4c70a0199b5b337ce2c8024cdff2602.png

image.thumb.png.4bfd772486f4154f58e14144fd782d05.png

Edit: for whatever reason running with the 140mm fans pushing air and the two 5.25" bays closed looks to yield a slightly better result.

Edit2: new charts with hopefully better colors

@RevGAM@NorKris@Ralfi

6 minutes ago, Jax-Ur said:

I was unable to find correct screws in any of the hardware stores I visited today so I had to McGyver the 140mm fans in front with zip ties. I ran the test without the front dust cover as it would not fit due to the zip ties.

After running Cinebench twice 60 mins with 5.25 bays closed and open here are the results and with two 140mm front pushing air through the radiator (and the three 120mm pulling air through the radiators here are the result. I have split the graphs into two for easier reading.

Room temperature ~23.4掳C

CLOSED = 5.25" bays closed, three default AIO fans pulling cold air through the radiation

OPEN = 5.25" bays open, three default AIO fans pulling cold air through the radiation

140 CLOSED = two 140mm fans in front pushing air through the radiators, 5.25" bays closed, three default AIO fans pulling cold air through the radiation

140 OPEN = two 140mm fans in front pushing air through the radiators, 5.25" bays open, three default AIO fans pulling cold air through the radiation

@RevGAM@NorKris@Ralfi

colors are so close,聽 just cant聽

12 minutes ago, NorKris said:

colors are so close,聽 just cant聽

yeah I had trouble on deciding on the colors, I'll upload better versions soon.

Edit: new colors, no idea if those are easier to read...

Edited by Jax-Ur
Edit: new colors

11 minutes ago, Jax-Ur said:

yeah I had trouble on deciding on the colors, I'll upload better versions soon.

Edit: new colors, no idea if those are easier to read...

but im confused.聽 Average of CPU die C聽 聽No fans? closed聽 聽vs聽聽Average of CPU die C 140 closed

8 minutes ago, NorKris said:

but im confused.聽 Average of CPU die C聽 聽No fans? closed聽 聽vs聽聽Average of CPU die C 140 closed

closed = means the 5.25" bay door closed, those two seen at top of the picture below. The case front door is open in all scenarios.

Also in all four scenarios the three AIO fans pull air through the radiator.

20240304_175109.jpg.d605f12aa5861f85646f4f3227e06802.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jax-Ur said:

closed = means the 5.25" bay door closed, those two seen at top of the picture below. The case front door is open in all scenarios.

still confused lol聽

Just now, NorKris said:

still confused lol聽

I did the test because @Ralfi聽was curios, see

5 minutes ago, Jax-Ur said:

I did the test because @Ralfi聽was curios, see

yes but what the F is the聽 "non 140" ?聽聽

image.thumb.png.6b872b2383c72280f622f1baebc61d59.png

2 minutes ago, NorKris said:

yes but what the F is the聽 "non 140" ?聽聽

oh, that just means that there I mounted the two 140mm fans with the 5.25 bays either covered or opened, like this:

20240310_200851.jpg

20240310_200744.jpg

1 minute ago, Jax-Ur said:

oh, that just means that there I mounted the two 140mm fans with the 5.25 bays either covered or opened, like this:

20240310_200851.jpg

20240310_200744.jpg

ok got it

dat don't make no sense, man. - Finger Licking Spocky - quickmeme

馃檪