I seem to have lost control of my case fans

OnionRings
Go to solution Solved by OnionRings,
8 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You likely have to readd the headers to Fan Control. Click the wrench in the app and rerun the detect.

image.png.a7a4c1a666b5d13759504d1cf4ddc0fd.png

That didnt work however the settings > edit sources did, not sure why, but it finally detected all of my fans, I have the CPU in the wrong one its on the pump header so ill swap them, but I was able to FINALLY get control of my 2 intakes and exhaust...

What a nightmare!!!

I dont know who to mark as solution, technically @RONOTHAN##I think got it in a DM, he thinks my cases hub doesnt have speed control built in, but I swore I had it all working before with my old case and motherboard, mind you my old case was quite literally the same type, I just grabbed the newer one to save some labor, as my BIL was getting my old motherboard anyway.

Not sure how I went from having full control on that one to none on this one but fuck it, RGB is working, speed control is working, eureka! 

Edit: and in case anybody was wondering, Yes the hub that came with the case does work as when I unplug the fans they stopped running, and the RGB for the front fans is still working I re Daisy chained The hub back into the other hub to get the RGB to work so there's nothing wrong with the hub. 

I believe part of the issue lies in how I hooked up my fans. So allow me to explain for clarification.

My case is the Lian Li lancool 216, it has 2 160mm intakes, a 140mm exhaust, and I have the galahad II trinity 360 SLF, the case comes with a hub on the back of the motherboard, and the cooler also came with a hub. I followed all the manuals on hooking everything up, and daisy chained my case fans into the coolers hub so they would have RGB, as my motherboard only has 2 RGB 5v connectors, and I would require 3 in total.

So I believe in plugging my case fans into the cooler hub, I lost control of those fans.

I am unsure how to wire this all correctly to enable RGB and speed control... I believe I would need to connect the case hub to the cooler hub somehow maybe? I will try to provide video or photos as this is hard to understand over text. Please stand by.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

With the hub there is likely a USB header you have to attach it into on your motherboard and then you would use the Lian Li software to control the fans, similar to Corsair's solution.

Only other thing could be is if they're 3 pin and not 4 pin. The hub likely only does PWM control, not DC control. If this is the case, you will need to plug them back into the motherboard for DC control. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

With the hub there is likely a USB header you have to attach it into on your motherboard and then you would use the Lian Li software to control the fans, similar to Corsair's solution.

Only other thing could be is if they're 3 pin and not 4 pin. The hub likely only does PWM control, not DC control. If this is the case, you will need to plug them back into the motherboard for DC control. 

Ok, I have a video uploading to hopefully help, but you must be right, I must have forgotten a step somewhere somehow, maybe the video will shed light. The hub has 4 pins, so I believe PWM should not be an issue.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

1 minute ago, OnionRings said:

Ok, I have a video uploading to hopefully help, but you must be right, I must have forgotten a step somewhere somehow, maybe the video will shed light. The hub has 4 pins, so I believe PWM should not be an issue.

but are the case fans 4 pin as well?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

but are the case fans 4 pin as well?

Oh, they should be, I can verify but I am certain they are as I had PWM control before I swapped my cooler and motherboard out. I used to use fan control recommended by ronothan, and all was well before the switch, so I clearly just borked something. 

I just rewatched my video and also looked at the guide again, so the guide shows that the hub is connected to the motherboard via a USB, so perhaps I hooked that up wrong.

I am attaching those below I thought I already did, bit scatter brained.

IMG_20240225_150943.jpg

IMG_20240225_151022.jpg

CPU

ok, did you download the Lian Li software for the hub? That is how you will control anything plugged into the box hub, not the RGB hub that came with the case. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

ok, did you download the Lian Li software for the hub? That is how you will control anything plugged into the box hub, not the RGB hub that came with the case. 

I downloaded L connect 3, is there another software? L connect only does lightning as far as I can tell.

I tried using fan control like I had last time, it only detected my GPU.

I am trying to verify cables and such now.

Edit: L connect does do speed, theres only 1 option. Which I believe is the cooler?

image.png.24ef07b710307dc7c8594e830f15616d.png

CPU

Ok in that previous post/photo, I just confirmed thats the cooler fans, I dropped em to as low as they'll go (210rpm) and physically saw them slow down. Case fans were un effected.

CPU

ok, so your 2 front fans and single back fan are connected to the RGB/Fan hub that came with the case? There should be a 4 pin cable likely with only 2 wires in it that should be plugged into a fan header on the motherboard or conversely I think you can plug it into the box hub in one of the open fan ports. You do have the case hub plugged in with sata power correct to power it?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

ok, so your 2 front fans and single back fan are connected to the RGB/Fan hub that came with the case? There should be a 4 pin cable likely with only 2 wires in it that should be plugged into a fan header on the motherboard or conversely I think you can plug it into the box hub in one of the open fan ports. You do have the case hub plugged in with sata power correct to power it?

Yes, both the case hub and the cooler hub have sata running to them. I did notice an extra port on top of the cooler hub, let me see if I can somehow hook that up, maybe thats the missing link. 

CPU

These are all I have left from the accessories included. These are like 3 pin to 5v adapters or something, no 4 pins.

I might have to like re wire this whole damn setup to figure this out, and that's not exciting news lol.

Is it safe to move plugs around while the system is running so I can diagnose as I go? Or is that gonna short circuit or fry something lol? 

IMG_20240225_155429.jpg

CPU

I need to do some deeper investigating, I somehow made the same mistake with my brother in laws build, same case, also can only control his CPU fan. I am baffled on what I managed to do wrong with his, he doesn't even have an AIO like me, just my old NHD15 which just simply plugs into the CPU fan header, and his case fans are all routed into the case hub like they should be, and then the case hub is plugged into sata like it should be, so I am stumped.

CPU

7 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

I need to do some deeper investigating, I somehow made the same mistake with my brother in laws build, same case, also can only control his CPU fan. I am baffled on what I managed to do wrong with his, he doesn't even have an AIO like me, just my old NHD15 which just simply plugs into the CPU fan header, and his case fans are all routed into the case hub like they should be, and then the case hub is plugged into sata like it should be, so I am stumped.

There should be a cable out of the hub that plugs into a motherboard fan header. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

37 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

There should be a cable out of the hub that plugs into a motherboard fan header. 

Yep there is, and it was plugged in to a sys fan header, so im baffled.

Im going to attach another video its a bit longer winded and I address a person named jimmy as it was intended for them but it will work.

Basically my guess is I somehow need to connect the 2 hubs? Or maybe not use the hub at all? Im not entirely sure.

https://youtu.be/GLtyClSXfRs?si=giVsICtf9aMFUGyv

CPU

Man im gonna lose my marbles, still nothing shows up in fan control, im gonna check the bios next... I also unplugged a fan while the PC was running and quite literally nothing stopped?? The fuck?? What is this conglomeration?? 

CPU

Ok so CPU is plugged in CPU fan header, have control over rad, but the hub is plugged into sysfan1 as the manual said to plug it into a sysfan header, but yet in the bios system 1 says 0 rpm??? 

CPU

So I gave up on the hub and ive plugged every single fan into a sysfan header instead, which appears to now show on bios, but they still wont show up on fan control.

I am still completely stumped, I figured this would work after all that, they ARE 4 pin fans every single one had 4 holes, and my motherboard sysfan headers are all 4 pin, so what now??? Lol my brain hurts man...

CPU

9 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

So I gave up on the hub and ive plugged every single fan into a sysfan header instead, which appears to now show on bios, but they still wont show up on fan control.

I am still completely stumped, I figured this would work after all that, they ARE 4 pin fans every single one had 4 holes, and my motherboard sysfan headers are all 4 pin, so what now??? Lol my brain hurts man...

You likely have to readd the headers to Fan Control. Click the wrench in the app and rerun the detect.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

8 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

That didnt work however the settings > edit sources did, not sure why, but it finally detected all of my fans, I have the CPU in the wrong one its on the pump header so ill swap them, but I was able to FINALLY get control of my 2 intakes and exhaust...

What a nightmare!!!

I dont know who to mark as solution, technically @RONOTHAN##I think got it in a DM, he thinks my cases hub doesnt have speed control built in, but I swore I had it all working before with my old case and motherboard, mind you my old case was quite literally the same type, I just grabbed the newer one to save some labor, as my BIL was getting my old motherboard anyway.

Not sure how I went from having full control on that one to none on this one but fuck it, RGB is working, speed control is working, eureka! 

Edit: and in case anybody was wondering, Yes the hub that came with the case does work as when I unplug the fans they stopped running, and the RGB for the front fans is still working I re Daisy chained The hub back into the other hub to get the RGB to work so there's nothing wrong with the hub. 

CPU