I9-11900KF thermal throttling to 2.5Ghz with 240 mm AIO

zodern
Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

@zodern

The biggest problem with Intel CPUs is that the default voltage is set too high. Reducing the excess voltage can make a big difference.

I have a similar 10850K. It is a 14nm CPU just like yours but it has 10 cores instead of 8. According to the internet, it runs hot. After I adjusted the voltage I found that it does not run hot at all. I overclocked it to the same speed that a 10900K runs at. When fully loaded running Cinebench it only reaches 66°C. For cooling I am using a 240mm Corsair RGB PRO XT.

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/p/cpu-coolers/cw-9060043-ww/icue-h100i-rgb-pro-xt-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060043-ww

zJuSAPA.png 

Try running Cinebench and see what HWiNFO reports for Vcore voltage. It is probably more than 1.3 V. 

I reduced the AC/DC loadline values in the BIOS to reduce the CPU voltage. Have a look in the BIOS for this setting. With a pre-built computer, your BIOS options are probably very limited. 

If you do not have access to the loadline settings then try using ThrottleStop to reduce your core and cache voltage. Post screenshots of the ThrottleStop main window, the FIVR and TPL windows if you need help. Turn on the Log File option when playing a game or doing any testing so you have a record of your CPU performance. Attach some screenshots and a log file to your next post. 

Hello,
so last year I bought a new PC, a prebuilt from Lenovo (Legion T7-34IMZ5 Desktop (Lenovo) - Type 90Q9), 

it has a i9-11900KF with a 240 mm AIO. But the CPU instantly reaches temperatures of around 92-98°C and thermal throttles during gaming. After gaming some time or even just a few seconds of prime95 the CPU settles at around 92 °C and a clock speed of ~2.5GHz. 

My question is, is a 240 mm AIO simply not good enough or is there something wrong with the cooler.  

Thanks for any help

Nope the 11900k runs HOT

Hope ya didnt pay too much for this old rig last year.

Anyway lenvo uses a quite whimpy aio in their legions. Totally fine for not stupid inneficient chips but the 11900k is one sadly.

Basically clean it out from dust with some compressed air machine or a pc duster or similar.

Then if it still is going high you may wanna change the cooler. luckaly lenovo is still somewhat normal with their gaming systems and you can install a arctic liquid freezer ii 360 in the front.

It's an 11900K dude. 14nm at its peak. That too in a prebuilt. What do you expect?

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

I cleaned it out completely, and the performance was still the same. I'm just trying to figure out if the AIO is broken, meaning the warranty would cover it. But Lenovo systems don't report any fan speed data or pump speed so I'm not sure if it's even working.

I guess the CPU is probably just too much to handle for the AIO, but i think the PC used to run at least a bit better. Anyway, I'm probably just going to buy something like the AIO you recomended.

Quick question, I'm looking at arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 and the Lian Li Galahad II Trinity 360 Performance, any recommendations on what should perform better.

@zodern

The biggest problem with Intel CPUs is that the default voltage is set too high. Reducing the excess voltage can make a big difference.

I have a similar 10850K. It is a 14nm CPU just like yours but it has 10 cores instead of 8. According to the internet, it runs hot. After I adjusted the voltage I found that it does not run hot at all. I overclocked it to the same speed that a 10900K runs at. When fully loaded running Cinebench it only reaches 66°C. For cooling I am using a 240mm Corsair RGB PRO XT.

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/p/cpu-coolers/cw-9060043-ww/icue-h100i-rgb-pro-xt-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060043-ww

zJuSAPA.png 

Try running Cinebench and see what HWiNFO reports for Vcore voltage. It is probably more than 1.3 V. 

I reduced the AC/DC loadline values in the BIOS to reduce the CPU voltage. Have a look in the BIOS for this setting. With a pre-built computer, your BIOS options are probably very limited. 

If you do not have access to the loadline settings then try using ThrottleStop to reduce your core and cache voltage. Post screenshots of the ThrottleStop main window, the FIVR and TPL windows if you need help. Turn on the Log File option when playing a game or doing any testing so you have a record of your CPU performance. Attach some screenshots and a log file to your next post. 

2 hours ago, zodern said:

Hello,
so last year I bought a new PC, a prebuilt from Lenovo (Legion T7-34IMZ5 Desktop (Lenovo) - Type 90Q9), 

it has a i9-11900KF with a 240 mm AIO. But the CPU instantly reaches temperatures of around 92-98°C and thermal throttles during gaming. After gaming some time or even just a few seconds of prime95 the CPU settles at around 92 °C and a clock speed of ~2.5GHz. 

My question is, is a 240 mm AIO simply not good enough or is there something wrong with the cooler.  

Thanks for any help

Have you checked the pump is in working condition or enough coolant inside the tube?