How durable is an RJ45 connector

Caveman0407
Go to solution Solved by ToboRobot,

Depends on the standard it was built to.  Likely in the hundreds though... 

https://futurereadysolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/ONE-RJ45-Connectors-Datasheet-190107.0.pdf

Insertion/Extraction cycles ≥ 1250 Cycles

In this post, I tried to do a janky setup for my phone to be connected to ethernet. Now, I want to ask if the connector will break as a result of this (I have an ethernet cable that's plugged to my laptop and when I switch to phone, I have to unplug and re-plug the ethernet everytime). Basically, I'd imagine that RJ45 is designed to be plugged in for a pretty long time and not plugged in and out many times. Or am I wrong?

Generally, they can plug and unplug many times for years. However, it's always possible it could break. The only thing I've ever had break on an RJ45 before from regular plugging and unplugging was the plastic clip on top that secures it in place. This does not prevent that connector from working, it simply means that it is now only held in by friction. If you aren't moving around your laptop when using it like this, it would be no problem. So if you just keep the laptop stationary when using it for a couple of days until you can get a new cable, you're fine.

Ethernet cable is dirt cheap. You could replace the head if you are comfortable with that or you can just buy a new cable if this happens. A 2m (6 foot) cable of Cat 5E costs about $5. Even if the cable lasts you for only a year each time, that's about 1.3 cents per day of cost. The electricity to use the laptop is more than that.

8 minutes ago, Caveman0407 said:

In this post, I tried to do a janky setup for my phone to be connected to ethernet. Now, I want to ask if the connector will break as a result of this (I have an ethernet cable that's plugged to my laptop and when I switch to phone, I have to unplug and re-plug the ethernet everytime). Basically, I'd imagine that RJ45 is designed to be plugged in for a pretty long time and not plugged in and out many times. Or am I wrong?

RJ-45 is very durable, the male end is very easy to replace with a crimper tool if its damaged.

The female end is usually easy to tell what's wrong, since the pins won't be parallel or damaged. That's less common than a broken retention clip on the male end or mashed contacts on the male end.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

The most fragile part is the little clip you have to press to release the connector from a jack. When that breaks, there's nothing but friction holding the rest of the connector in place.

I've seen some chewed-up modular connectors in my day, but the only time they've been completely useless was when they got smashed.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

22 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Generally, they can plug and unplug many times for years. However, it's always possible it could break. The only thing I've ever had break on an RJ45 before from regular plugging and unplugging was the plastic clip on top that secures it in place. This does not prevent that connector from working, it simply means that it is now only held in by friction. If you aren't moving around your laptop when using it like this, it would be no problem. So if you just keep the laptop stationary when using it for a couple of days until you can get a new cable, you're fine.

Ethernet cable is dirt cheap. You could replace the head if you are comfortable with that or you can just buy a new cable if this happens. A 2m (6 foot) cable of Cat 5E costs about $5. Even if the cable lasts you for only a year each time, that's about 1.3 cents per day of cost. The electricity to use the laptop is more than that.

I'd expect the clip to be broken first. I have used a few of those without the clips and they work fine. In fact, my ethernet clip is kinda worn down to the point it hasn't broken off but it leaves the connector friction mounted. Anyways, I also have a 15m Cat6 ethernet run going from my router (outside my room) to my room, before my laptop. So having to replace the entire thing would be a hassle. However, I have lots of ethernet slack from that. So I guess I could just replace the head. I don't have the tool for replacing that but I have a friend who can probably help me. 

38 minutes ago, Caveman0407 said:

I'd expect the clip to be broken first. I have used a few of those without the clips and they work fine. In fact, my ethernet clip is kinda worn down to the point it hasn't broken off but it leaves the connector friction mounted. Anyways, I also have a 15m Cat6 ethernet run going from my router (outside my room) to my room, before my laptop. So having to replace the entire thing would be a hassle. However, I have lots of ethernet slack from that. So I guess I could just replace the head. I don't have the tool for replacing that but I have a friend who can probably help me. 

Cutting and recrimping is easy overall. You don't even need to strip the wires, just get a crimping tool and a box of heads. Its a solid reason to always give yourself slack in the line in case its necessary, gladly you did. 

The harder part is having the tools to check the cable afterwards (if there's problems, but I always validate the cable before I use it). The tester I like to use is two pieces, one of each on either end of the cable, one sends pulses sequentially and the other provides indication. So as long as the receiving end goes properly 1-8 sequentially, then you're good. 

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017