Poweredge 

2950 x3

Ibm x3650 

Hp proliant dl380 g7 v6

R710 x2

Poweredge? 1650

Powerconnect 5224

I have these and a cse 847 i think 45 bay supermicro jbod 4u x2

So the jbod units have external 8088 connectors x4 and I'm wondering if it's best to take them to 8466 4 port or to use the 12gb/s 2 port 8088 pcie, i do however already also have a hba that uses 8644 and want to connect something together to get the jbod running plex, steamcache, downloads and cloud backup storage so i can keep all data safe.

The main issue currently is i don't know which server to use as a head if any at all and also i was looking into the r281-n40 server linus used for his supermicro build but that seems out of my reach not being something i can get 2nd hand yet. Any advice?

4 hours ago, TheLastSeeker said:

Equipment on hand

Poweredge 

2950 x3

Ibm x3650 

Hp proliant dl380 g7 v6

R710 x2

Poweredge? 1650

Powerconnect 5224

I have these and a cse 847 i think 45 bay supermicro jbod 4u x2

So the jbod units have external 8088 connectors x4 and I'm wondering if it's best to take them to 8466 4 port or to use the 12gb/s 2 port 8088 pcie, i do however already also have a hba that uses 8644 and want to connect something together to get the jbod running plex, steamcache, downloads and cloud backup storage so i can keep all data safe.

The main issue currently is i don't know which server to use as a head if any at all and also i was looking into the r281-n40 server linus used for his supermicro build but that seems out of my reach not being something i can get 2nd hand yet. Any advice?

If it's a JBOD, then you don't need anything other than powersupply, harddrives, case and sas expander.

https://chrisbergeron.com/2020/03/07/diy_das_part1/

11 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

If it's a JBOD, then you don't need anything other than powersupply, harddrives, case and sas expander.

https://chrisbergeron.com/2020/03/07/diy_das_part1/

While somewhat true the jbod has 8 8088 externals and no internals to really do anything, so i was looking for good suggestions of what servers / cards would be best overall to handle the many connections and the management of such with room for sfp+ 10gb. The r281 linus used had great expansion and also sfp ports but it's hard getting close recommendations to such that have that room in a 2u unit, most seem to have few rear pci slots