Camper media server

Hey all,

My father recently asked me if I could configure him a small media server to put their movies/ tv shows on so they could watch tv while they're up in the mountains or traveling. The server needs to be able to communicate with their TV even when they don't have reception on their hotspot, not entirely sure how to make that happen or if it is even possible. I am definitely a noob when it comes to server related things so the more user friendly the better.

My initial thought process is getting a cheap mini pc such as the link posted at the bottom and putting a larger m.2 in it, partitioning a small section for the OS, using the rest as storage, and adding an additional 2.5" SSD to up the capacity. He already has a Netgear MR6500 hotspot router with unlimited data so that he can view how his solar panels are doing or adjust the thermostat in the trailer while it is in storage, so it already has a constantly powered internet connection (reception permitting). Im open to either plex or jellyfin, just whichever you smart people think will be easier to setup/ manage, again I'm new to this stuff.  

I'm not trying to break the bank or needing anything with a lot of horsepower, their TV is only 1080p and should be the only thing connecting to the server at any given moment.

With all that said, what are your thoughts? Do you think it will work? Is there a way to connect to the server when their hotspot does not have reception? (can I run a ethernet cable from the TV to the server to communicate when there's no internet? Maybe Bluetooth or even just running an HDMI cable to the TV?) Do I need to add anything to the TV to make it communicate to the server ( It is a Jensen JE5020 that is planned to be replaced with a nicer TV sometime in the far future) What would I need to do, to be able to access the server remotely to add movies and shows to it? 

Mini PC (Amazon)

The real question IMO isn't should you go with Plex or Jellyfin (both can serve fine with just LAN, no internet),
but do you actually need a media server... for just 1 client?

Instead, why not use home theater / media center software? Like Kodi.
It will most probably be easier for you to setup and maintain.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

A pre-built NAS from Synology, QNAP or Terramaster would be more feasible here; friendly to configure, and accessible from anywhere out of the box. You simply put some 1080P or 720P contents into the NAS, and install vendor's apps for TV and your family to watch them.🤔

19 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

The real question IMO isn't should you go with Plex or Jellyfin (both can serve fine with just LAN, no internet),
but do you actually need a media server... for just 1 client?

Instead, why not use home theater / media center software? Like Kodi.
It will most probably be easier for you to setup and maintain.

I have not heard of Kodi before, but I will look into it. That's why I asked here as I was not sure if there was an easier option, thank you!