Computer won't boot, looks like the PSU

Go to solution Solved by atrash,

It seems certain that the psu is busted. RMA it. If you hate waiting,get a new one and then sell off the rma unit.

So, I was just casually playing Minecraft when my computer decided to turn itself off. No blue screen, no nothing, just cut the power. I tried turning it on, but nothing happened.

I opened the case to see what was up, but everything looked fine, the motherboard light was on and everything. I then started disconnecting all the components, I took out the GPU, the RAM, even unplugged the 8 pin, but to no avail.

I disconnected everything from the power supply and did the trick with the green wire to turn it on with only two fans plugged in to it. That didn't work. I checked with another PSU and the fans worked.

When I turn the power on at the back of the PSU, it makes a clicking noise, although from Googling around a little bit, it seems to be its normal behaviour.

TL;DR: My PSU won't work even though it lights up the mobo light.

My specs:

PSU: Corsair RM 650

Mobo: Sabertooth Z77

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K (overclocked to 4.6GHz)

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance

GPU: MSI GTX 760

Don't really wanna deal with an RMA but it looks like I might have to. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

It seems certain that the psu is busted. RMA it. If you hate waiting,get a new one and then sell off the rma unit.

Yeah, did some more testing and it can't be anything other than the PSU. Switched it for a different one that I had lying around at it's perfectly fine. Kinda weird that the Corsair died, I've only had it for 2 or 3 months. Although it never did spin the fan, even though I was sure I crossed the 40% load required for it to do so. Maybe it overheated because the fan was not working when it was brand new.

flavioosh, on 23 May 2014 - 05:42 AM, said:

Yeah, did some more testing and it can't be anything other than the PSU. Switched it for a different one that I had lying around at it's perfectly fine. Kinda weird that the Corsair died, I've only had it for 2 or 3 months. Although it never did spin the fan, even though I was sure I crossed the 40% load required for it to do so. Maybe it overheated because the fan was not working when it was brand new.

Being a Corsair branded psu does not guarantee it to be a good or working psu. Corsair does not make psu. They rebrand them from several different oem. But they do have good rma and customer service from what I've heard. If you are on the look out for new psu, I can suggest other brands. I'm not to fond of the RM series tbh.