Over current after breaking my usb port

I have broken the inside of one of my usb ports and now when i start my pc it says:

"Over current have been detected on your USB device!!

System will shutdown after 15 seconds to protect your mainboard!!"

Is there any way to fix this problem without having to replace the USB port or the whole motherboard.

My motherboard is MSI A250M-A PRO

20240217_155111.thumb.jpg.bba9beefafe8f5dc24f649ac2761fbcf.jpg20240217_155053.thumb.jpg.35e7c9dbe71d213d33cb573c522ddc4c.jpg

turn off your computer, and unplug all cables, including, very obviously, the power cable.

Leave it for 10 minutes.

Do not skip those steps.

Use a small, thing flatheaded screwdriver tip to pry those pins AWAY from the inner housing - the pins should be touching _absolutely nothing at all_, not even each other.

Once you have done that, put some electrical tape over the socket and never touch it again.

Try booting.

You may have fried the USB hub chip inside but those pins touching the housing/each other is likely the cause.

16 minutes ago, whispous said:

turn off your computer, and unplug all cables, including, very obviously, the power cable.

Leave it for 10 minutes.

Do not skip those steps.

Use a small, thing flatheaded screwdriver tip to pry those pins AWAY from the inner housing - the pins should be touching _absolutely nothing at all_, not even each other.

Once you have done that, put some electrical tape over the socket and never touch it again.

Try booting.

You may have fried the USB hub chip inside but those pins touching the housing/each other is likely the cause.

@CiglaYeah, this is about your only option now.
Goodluck.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

22 minutes ago, Cigla said:

Is there any way to fix this problem without having to replace the USB port or the whole motherboard.

That mangled pin is shorting +5v to ground. Your motherboard detects this and shuts the USB controller off to protect it.

image.png.8112082ab94081276e1bc8d3eb5d8306.png

image.png.e8bb875685e7d4b87e158a7b7ecc3fcb.png

Like others said, you need to get all the pins on that port separated so they're not touching the sides or each other. Once that pin stops touching the side, your motherboard should work again and you can forget that port exists.

You should be able to do this with a tiny screwdriver, or bend a little hook in the end of an unbent paper clip, or pick up a cheap pick set like this one

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

To add to what the others here have said, it looks like your motherboard isn't quite mounted properly, judging by the angle of the audio jacks on the bottom, they look askew to me, and that's probably what lead to the damage to that specific USB port in the first place. So if you feel comfortable remounting it, I'd definitely go ahead and do so...

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /