PCIe cable question

eggowlred
Go to solution Solved by seon123,
52 minutes ago, eggowlred said:

do I need to upgrade my PSU to support PCIe gen 5 power adapters or will I be fine 

No, you don't even need an adapter. This one from Corsair is compatible with your PSU. Do not just get any random 12VHPWR cable, as that might fry your graphics card. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cp-8920284/600w-pcie-5-0-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-power-cable-cp-8920284

Just make sure to plug one connector into one labelled VGA1, and the other into one labelled VGA2. 

I have a non PCIe gen 5 PSU (msi mpg a850gf) and I’m upgrading to an rtx 4080 do I need to upgrade my PSU to support PCIe gen 5 power adapters or will I be fine 

Nope, you don't need to. It just means that those new PSU have a native 16pin. But you can always just use multiple 8pin adapters.

52 minutes ago, eggowlred said:

do I need to upgrade my PSU to support PCIe gen 5 power adapters or will I be fine 

No, you don't even need an adapter. This one from Corsair is compatible with your PSU. Do not just get any random 12VHPWR cable, as that might fry your graphics card. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cp-8920284/600w-pcie-5-0-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-power-cable-cp-8920284

Just make sure to plug one connector into one labelled VGA1, and the other into one labelled VGA2. 

:)

19 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Can’t I just use two 8 pin connectors because isn’t the gpu gonna come with the needed cables

8 hours ago, eggowlred said:

Can’t I just use two 8 pin connectors because isn’t the gpu gonna come with the needed cables

Well, you can.

Just less tidy and might have clearance issue depending on PC case & what card model it is.

Because the included adapter is bulky as F

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, you can.

Just less tidy and might have clearance issue depending on PC case & what card model it is.

Because the included adapter is bulky as F

I have a Corsair 5000d airflow and don’t care about the cable management and I'm probably gonna buy one of the cards at the $1000 MSRP (when prices are normal I’m not waiting to buy one at msrp or scalper prices)

10 hours ago, eggowlred said:

The GPU comes with an adapter, not with native cables. It's good practice to avoid adapters and extensions, and it's a $20 purchase for your $1000 graphics card. 

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

The GPU comes with an adapter, not with native cables. It's good practice to avoid adapters and extensions, and it's a $20 purchase for your $1000 graphics card. 

Is the adapter that the gpu comes with gonna fry my PSU or gpu connecting that adapter to the cables that came with my psu

1 hour ago, eggowlred said:

Is the adapter that the gpu comes with gonna fry my PSU or gpu connecting that adapter to the cables that came with my psu

It adds points of failure, which would make it more possible for something like that to happen. 

48 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It adds points of failure, which would make it more possible for something like that to happen. 

I’m just going to use it for gaming no overclocking is it still useable without it frying as soon as I get it

3 hours ago, eggowlred said:

I’m just going to use it for gaming no overclocking is it still useable without it frying as soon as I get it

Will it fry it immediately ? most likely not. Unless you really fucked up somehow.

Can you use adapter and keep the GPU safe for years ? yep, unless something got fucked up somehow.

But I do agree with @seon123 that adapters adds more point of failure.

With current gen (NVIDIA) high end GPU (especially with the damn new connector), you don't need to OC to have a burned connector, apparently.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

41 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Will it fry it immediately ? most likely not. Unless you really fucked up somehow.

Can you use adapter and keep the GPU safe for years ? yep, unless something got fucked up somehow.

But I do agree with @seon123 that adapters adds more point of failure.

With current gen (NVIDIA) high end GPU (especially with the damn new connector), you don't need to OC to have a burned connector, apparently.

In the case the gpu dies because of the connector am I able to RMA it?

17 minutes ago, eggowlred said:

In the case the gpu dies because of the connector am I able to RMA it?

If it can be proven that's the root cause of the issue.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

34 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If it can be proven that's the root cause of the issue.

Alright