GPU docks without PSU?

aisle9

I swear I’ve seen YouTubers with GPU docks that plug directly into the wall and don’t require a PSU. It’s not the expensive ASUS ones, just small docks like you’d see for mining, only with a cord that plugs into a wall wart instead of needing PCI-E power from a PSU. Is there such a thing?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Aren't you talking about some of those thunderbolt eGPU solutions that have the PSU built-in? They still need a PSU anyway, the only difference is that it's built into the product already.

I can remember gigabyte's one out the top of my head: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080IXEB-10GD-rev-10#kf

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I think you mean the ones wih a built in psu?

There werr thosr aliexpress specials that just had a 75w ripoff pico psu that powered the pcie slot but well those caught fire because the quality was 0.

I gave up trying to find an affordable one. It seems easier just to build a PC.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

I think you mean the ones wih a built in psu?

There werr thosr aliexpress specials that just had a 75w ripoff pico psu that powered the pcie slot but well those caught fire because the quality was 0.

Actually, yeah, I think those are the ones I was thinking of. I won't bother then.

45 minutes ago, Avaviel said:

I gave up trying to find an affordable one. It seems easier just to build a PC.

I'm thinking long and hard about ditching my system in favor of a mini PC with something like a Ryzen 9 and 780M graphics under the hood, but still want to be able to hook up my RX 6700 when I want something beefier. There's no way a Ryzen 9 7940HS doesn't beat my Ryzen 5 5600 like a redheaded stepchild, but the 780M graphics aren't enough for 1440p gaming (let alone 4K, even for lighter titles). If I have to set up a flex ATX PSU or whatever on my desk to power a dock, then I might as well just stick with my ITX rig.

The other option here would be a mini PC with a laptop GPU built in, like an Arc 730M or RX 6600M graphics, but even those don't approach RX 6700 levels (and they're expensive as f*ck).

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.