Vega 56 only working with crappy PSU

Go to solution Solved by Zando_,

Vega cards are known for massive transient spikes (giant wattage spikes for a couple milliseconds). Your nice unit probably isn't set up to account for these if it's an older design, so it trips OCP/OPP and shuts off the PSU. Lots of good units had this issue when the Vega cards released, no mark against their quality just the OCP/OPP settings had to be updated, and have been on all the newer refreshes. The crappy unit likely does not care and is just allowing the GPU to do whatever it wants. 

Hello users of the LTT forum,

after a lot of reseating and troubleshooting I finally decided to try another PSU since my vega wasn't giving me a display signal.

I replaced my immaculate Straight Power 10 600 Watt Gold Efficiency PSU, which has been powering a much more power hungry GPU for about a year now, with a 450W System power 7. 

And this hail mary worked for some reason.

I'm sort of confused and also pissed since I wasted so much time on troubleshooting and cannot fathom why the vega only accepts my crappy 10 year old PSU.

I'm also not entirely sure whether I can now be certain that the GPU is fine since I've been planning to sell it if I got it to work.

Any input is appreciated, the card has been running Doom Eternal/Forza Horizon in 4k without issues for multiple hours now.

Pictured below: the GPU in question and the AMD Software while Doom is running.

Greetings from Germany, Kevin

20240214_194220.jpg

17079370461883440997934400076206.jpg

Vega cards are known for massive transient spikes (giant wattage spikes for a couple milliseconds). Your nice unit probably isn't set up to account for these if it's an older design, so it trips OCP/OPP and shuts off the PSU. Lots of good units had this issue when the Vega cards released, no mark against their quality just the OCP/OPP settings had to be updated, and have been on all the newer refreshes. The crappy unit likely does not care and is just allowing the GPU to do whatever it wants. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

11 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Makes a lot of sense, thanks!

had similar issues with a straight power 10... they're trash .

(my much cheaper pure power works lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Not to be rude, but you should have sold that Vega in 2021.  I had a dual vega 64 setup until then and I got $800 a pop for them from someone doing machine learning.  You could have gotten a 6600 on release for like $400 and that would have been significantly faster at less than half the power.

In relation to now, yeah those things are total braphogs on power.  You may still be able to sell the GPU to a hackintosher and get like a 1070 or something for   less that won't need nearly as much power and will probably game the same or slightly better.  You might even be able to swing a used 6600 or 5700xt that will be notably faster. 

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.