1 Gbps internet via ethernet cable, but games freeze sometimes...

dugacs

So I play Roblox (especially Phantom Forces) where this issue is more noticable but I also notice this in GTA Online, Fortnite and R6 Siege. We just bought a new modem which can do 1000 mbps brandwidth. Even with speedometer its like 860 mbps or something. We use a Tp-Link 5 port managed switch with 1Gbps support. Both of these are new, so I guess its software issue, but I don't know much about networking, so I do not have any clue about what is happening. And no, it isn't the cable, because I have "CAT 5E" type of cables which is like 50cm long. And from the modem, It's also the CAT 5E cable but its like 50-100m long (100 is too long I think so its more like 70 or 80)

My specs are:

-Cooler Master Elite Nex w700 PSU

-Asrock B450 Steel Legend Mobo

-Ryzen 5 5600x CPU

-Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6700XT

-2x8gb of Corsait Vengeance RGB Pro White 3200 MHz

-Kingston A400 240gb (Windows 11 and personal files)

-Kingston A400 480gb (for games)

@dugacs

1. Make and model of “modem” and switch? I assume that when you say “modem”, you actually mean internet gateway.
  2. Who is your ISP and what type of internet connection do you have?
  3. If you’re paying for 1Gbps internet service, that’s for download speed. What is your upload speed limit?
  4. Run speed tests at speedtest.net, fast.com and waveform.com. Pay attention to the latency values (unloaded and loaded) and post screenshots.

18 minutes ago, dugacs said:

So I play Roblox (especially Phantom Forces) where this issue is more noticable but I also notice this in GTA Online, Fortnite and R6 Siege. We just bought a new modem which can do 1000 mbps brandwidth. Even with speedometer its like 860 mbps or something. We use a Tp-Link 5 port managed switch with 1Gbps support. Both of these are new, so I guess its software issue, but I don't know much about networking, so I do not have any clue about what is happening. And no, it isn't the cable, because I have "CAT 5E" type of cables which is like 50cm long. And from the modem, It's also the CAT 5E cable but its like 50-100m long (100 is too long I think so its more like 70 or 80)

My specs are:

-Cooler Master Elite Nex w700 PSU

-Asrock B450 Steel Legend Mobo

-Ryzen 5 5600x CPU

-Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6700XT

-2x8gb of Corsait Vengeance RGB Pro White 3200 MHz

-Kingston A400 240gb (Windows 11 and personal files)

-Kingston A400 480gb (for games)

Are you able to test it bypassing the tp-link 5 port managed switch?

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

3 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

@dugacs

1. Make and model of “modem” and switch? I assume that when you say “modem”, you actually mean internet gateway.
  2. Who is your ISP and what type of internet connection do you have?
  3. If you’re paying for 1Gbps internet service, that’s for download speed. What is your upload speed limit?
  4. Run speed tests at speedtest.net, fast.com and waveform.com. Pay attention to the latency values (unloaded and loaded) and post screenshots.

1: I mean the thing that the ISP gives that uses a KOAX cable.

2: I have Vodafone, and 1Gbps is what I am paying for.

3: It is 41 Mbps

4: 15887202699.png

Just now, Agall said:

Are you able to test it bypassing the tp-link 5 port managed switch?

Unfortunately, my brother uses the swith too, and we had a router instead of it before, but same issue happened with that, that's why we changed it (and it was only 300mbps)

21 minutes ago, dugacs said:

Even with speedometer its like 860 mbps or something.

That's normal, seems fine. 

Regarding your games "freezing":

Determine what is functioning as your router, a simple ipconfig in a command prompt and looking for the "Default Gateway" is fine, take not of that IP address. 

Open another command prompt and type 

ping <the ip you got above> -t   (example: for me it would be ping 192.168.1.1 -t

Open another and type 

ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Hit enter

These are constant pings that will just quietly repeat over and over in the background while you play. When you experience an issue, quickly Alt-Tab out and check them to see if the pings start to fail during the time. 

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Determine what is functioning as your router, a simple ipconfig in a command prompt and looking for the "Default Gateway" is fine, take not of that IP address. 

ping <the ip you got above> -t   (example: for me it would be ping 192.168.1.1 -t

Open another and type 

ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Hit enter

These are constant pings that will just quietly repeat over and over in the background while you play. When you experience an issue, quickly Alt-Tab out and check them to see if the pings start to fail during the time. 

def gateway is 192.168.0.1 for me

6 minutes ago, dugacs said:

1: I mean the thing that the ISP gives that uses a KOAX cable.

2: I have Vodafone, and 1Gbps is what I am paying for.

3: It is 41 Mbps

4: 15887202699.png

Something to note as well, you're going to be limited by the servers you're connecting to with 1Gb/sec download speeds or even your CPU, especially if you're downloading Steam games. The server has to allow you to negotiate that speed and your CPU has to have enough processing power to handle all that data.

8 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Open another and type 

ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Hit enter

when i ping there is 4 lines of pings and all of them is roughtly the same

8 minutes ago, dugacs said:

Unfortunately, my brother uses the swith too, and we had a router instead of it before, but same issue happened with that, that's why we changed it (and it was only 300mbps)

Then I would isolate those variables out to see if its not your brother's system or the switch. Regarding latency in games and potential spikes or dropped packets, your download speed isn't the primary driver of those variables. You'd be able to have smooth gameplay with a steady 10Mb/sec connection. Comparably, an unreliable 1Gb/sec connection is going to be potentially unplayable.

If you have 4G LTE 4 or 5 out of 5 bars in your area, I would attempt to USB tether or hotspot with your phone to see if you still get the latency issues. I spent a couple years having to do this and its surprisingly playable with a stable LTE connection.

1 minute ago, dugacs said:

when i ping there is 4 lines of pings and all of them is roughtly the same

The point was the "-t" so it runs continuously in the background. They would indicate if there was some sort of network disruption with your local LAN leading to your games "freezing", as you said. You seem to be under the impression that its networking related so that's a quick way to isolate that.

It seems everyone is talking about speed but I'm not seeing in your post where that was an issue.

12 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

The point was the "-t" so it runs continuously in the background. They would indicate if there was some sort of network disruption with your local LAN leading to your games "freezing", as you said. You seem to be under the impression that its networking related so that's a quick way to isolate that.

It seems everyone is talking about speed but I'm not seeing in your post where that was an issue.

since i did the ping 8.8.8.8 -t it doesnt even freeze or that is not the reason I don't know but it doesn't freeze now.

@dugacs

The point about running speed tests at the different sites was to assess if there’s any bufferbloat to be concerned about. While many ISPs don’t offer any form of traffic management protocol on their gateway devices, you don’t tend to normally need it on gigabit connections. However, if your upload speed is limited, then you may benefit from applying it to upload traffic only.

Your speedtest.net result isn’t too concerning regarding speeds or latency. But keep in mind that these are tests between you and the speed test server, not the game server. However, you might have run the tests when the entire network was “quiet” and not notice any local disturbance. Do you notice the “freezing” when other people in the home are online? Are you or anyone else running background downloads/updates/P2P that could be choking the bandwidth?

There’s also the possibility that the game servers themselves, or the nodes en route, might be highly congested. This is something out of your control.