AMD Record Ram speeds!

Hey all, 

Many of you will not know me so allow me to introduce myself, I'm Lewis and I go by the username ObscureParadox over on HWBot, I just wanted to share something which I achieved today and am pretty proud of. 

Use the extremely budget ASRock B650M HDV/M.2 and AMD's new 8500G APU I was able to achieve a ram validation of 10800MHz which is at the time of writing is the highest ram validation ever achieved on an AMD platform and the 8th highest validation of any system type as can be seen here - https://hwbot.org/submission/5480169_obscureparadox_memory_frequency_ddr5_sdram_5397.1_mhz

This was done on a kit of Corsair Dominator Titanium 7200MHz 24GB*2 with air cooling on everything, no extreme cooling yet. Next step is to validate above 11000MHz and it is very much in reach as I can get it to bios currently but unable to get into windows just yet.

I hope you enjoy little achievements like this as much as I do 🙂

IMG_20240212_164538.jpg

IMG-20240212-WA0027.jpeg

yo @Somerandomtechyboi look at this lad

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I really need to stop looking at this, all it makes me want to do is drive to Micro Center and pick up this combo (probably 8600G rather than 8500G, but close enough). 

Good score though, maybe I'll beat your score if I can't resist the urge to pick one up. 

24 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I really need to stop looking at this, all it makes me want to do is drive to Micro Center and pick up this combo (probably 8600G rather than 8500G, but close enough). 

Good score though, maybe I'll beat your score if I can't resist the urge to pick one up. 

They're really a lot of fun, the board is shockingly good for these chips, especially given it's about the cheapest B650 board you can buy.

8600G was roughly the same here for me, I think 200MHz less I got at the top end but it's very much silicon lottery at that point. 

All the same I welcome the challenge!  It's nice to see people having fun on the AMD platform for a change too 🙂

51 minutes ago, ObscureParadox said:

Hey all, 

Many of you will not know me so allow me to introduce myself, I'm Lewis and I go by the username ObscureParadox over on HWBot, I just wanted to share something which I achieved today and am pretty proud of. 

Use the extremely budget ASRock B650M HDV/M.2 and AMD's new 8500G APU I was able to achieve a ram validation of 10800MHz which is at the time of writing is the highest ram validation ever achieved on an AMD platform and the 8th highest validation of any system type as can be seen here - https://hwbot.org/submission/5480169_obscureparadox_memory_frequency_ddr5_sdram_5397.1_mhz

This was done on a kit of Corsair Dominator Titanium 7200MHz 24GB*2 with air cooling on everything, no extreme cooling yet. Next step is to validate above 11000MHz and it is very much in reach as I can get it to bios currently but unable to get into windows just yet.

I hope you enjoy little achievements like this as much as I do 🙂

IMG_20240212_164538.jpg

IMG-20240212-WA0027.jpeg

Are you hitting ram limit or imc limit here? Cause cl54 suggests ram limit

B650m hdv is pretty ridicolous for how cheap it is, imagine a year or 2 down the line these boards going dirt cheap on the used market, capable of running an oced 7950x and 10000+ ddr5 (probably 11000+ at this rate), thatd be a hell of a deal

If only i had the cash now id totally buy one of those combos just to see how far i can push it both air and subzero (if i did have the money id go phase change) and also do some trial by fire aka degradation testing cause noone ever seems to do that anymore leading to nonsense voltage limits (mainly regarding vdimm cause that varies per ic)

Im curious what settings you are using for that oc, mainly vsoc and vdimm cause im the type thatd just start ramming 1.7v+ vdimm and 1.5v+ vsoc if it scaled that high =p  though i doubt the rams would even degrade since most good ics wont degrade at higher volts even insane volt like 2v+

My samsung gdies dont seem to give a shit wether i run 2v or 2.6v through em nor does my garbage samsung 1gbit f die but my 2gbit hynix cfrs start degrading over 2v, but i guess that is expected for such a mid ic since i could only do 2800c11 at 2.1v stable with it at one point (and now it seems to have degraded even further)

Vsoc however itll probably follow vcore max, not aware of anyone doing degradation testing but im pretty sure 1.5v will be enough for slight degradation to occur in a somewhat short period of time

currently still stuck on x58 trying to get 3200 ddr3 out of an i7 930 on air with some samsung gdie which is looking kinda fruitless and i think ill look for an ic thats lighter on the imc, maybe 1/2gbit hynix bfr/dfr. For now 3184c10 at 2.2v vdimm with vtt at 1.87v

And i have 40$ right now so im torn on wether to buy a g1 assassin or a xeon w3680 with an assortment of other parts (mainly more rams and some coolers + boards to turn into more money, maybe even a multimeter and trimpots) and im leaning toward the latter cause i really wanna see what these gdies can do and i wanna see 3600+ ddr3 on x58 maybe even 4000 if i get some hynix mfrs or maybe better binned gdies cause 3000c10 is already needing 2v and the board only goes up to 2.6v (which i can voltmod later if i really need 3v+) and c11 doesnt seem to do much so quite concerned if these will even push past 3600 ddr3

Maybe ill bin more nehalems and find one of those golden chips thatll do 4800 uncore at 1.6/1.7v vtt cause this 930 only does like 4200 max at 1.7v, maybe focus on xeons so i can sub cursed 3000+ ddr3 with ecc registered dimms for shits and giggles

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Are you hitting ram limit or imc limit here? Cause cl54 suggests ram limit

B650m hdv is pretty ridicolous for how cheap it is, imagine a year or 2 down the line these boards going dirt cheap on the used market, capable of running an oced 7950x and 10000+ ddr5 (probably 11000+ at this rate), thatd be a hell of a deal

If only i had the cash now id totally buy one of those combos just to see how far i can push it both air and subzero (if i did have the money id go phase change) and also do some trial by fire aka degradation testing cause noone ever seems to do that anymore leading to nonsense voltage limits (mainly regarding vdimm cause that varies per ic)

Im curious what settings you are using for that oc, mainly vsoc and vdimm cause im the type thatd just start ramming 1.7v+ vdimm and 1.5v+ vsoc if it scaled that high =p  though i doubt the rams would even degrade since most good ics wont degrade at higher volts even insane volt like 2v+

My samsung gdies dont seem to give a shit wether i run 2v or 2.6v through em nor does my garbage samsung 1gbit f die but my 2gbit hynix cfrs start degrading over 2v, but i guess that is expected for such a mid ic since i could only do 2800c11 at 2.1v stable with it at one point (and now it seems to have degraded even further)

Vsoc however itll probably follow vcore max, not aware of anyone doing degradation testing but im pretty sure 1.5v will be enough for slight degradation to occur in a somewhat short period of time

currently still stuck on x58 trying to get 3200 ddr3 out of an i7 930 on air with some samsung gdie which is looking kinda fruitless and i think ill look for an ic thats lighter on the imc, maybe 1/2gbit hynix bfr/dfr. For now 3184c10 at 2.2v vdimm with vtt at 1.87v

And i have 40$ right now so im torn on wether to buy a g1 assassin or a xeon w3680 with an assortment of other parts (mainly more rams and some coolers + boards to turn into more money, maybe even a multimeter and trimpots) and im leaning toward the latter cause i really wanna see what these gdies can do and i wanna see 3600+ ddr3 on x58 maybe even 4000 if i get some hynix mfrs or maybe better binned gdies cause 3000c10 is already needing 2v and the board only goes up to 2.6v (which i can voltmod later if i really need 3v+) and c11 doesnt seem to do much so quite concerned if these will even push past 3600 ddr3

Maybe ill bin more nehalems and find one of those golden chips thatll do 4800 uncore at 1.6/1.7v vtt cause this 930 only does like 4200 max at 1.7v, maybe focus on xeons so i can sub cursed 3000+ ddr3 with ecc registered dimms for shits and giggles

So I initially thought the same that it was ram limited but it seems after trying on a few different APU's that I'm actually IMC limited. The lower cas actually helped me to boot into windows for some reason, was more stable than CL60, so more testing to be done to find out why.

Roughly the key voltages were 1.48v VDDIO, 1.3v SOC, 1.15v VDDP.

Ram voltages were approximately 1.56v VDD, 1.52v VDDQ and 1.8v VPP. Higher seems to make the kit unstable, lower much the same, it's a balancing act once you get to these high frequencies.

55 minutes ago, ObscureParadox said:

So I initially thought the same that it was ram limited but it seems after trying on a few different APU's that I'm actually IMC limited. The lower cas actually helped me to boot into windows for some reason, was more stable than CL60, so more testing to be done to find out why.

Roughly the key voltages were 1.48v VDDIO, 1.3v SOC, 1.15v VDDP.

Ram voltages were approximately 1.56v VDD, 1.52v VDDQ and 1.8v VPP. Higher seems to make the kit unstable, lower much the same, it's a balancing act once you get to these high frequencies.

Can the soc go any higher or is it the same as ryzen 7000?

The apus and cpus have very different imcs so id be pretty suspicious of the 1.3v vsoc max being complete bullshit on the 8000g apus and id probably go and voltmod the board for trial by fire and an easy ram freq record

Ryzen 9000 will apparently have the same i/o die as 7000 so stuck with 1.3v vsoc

Im curious if you can tighten cl abit more at that freq or is that the limit of the ram and it wont tighten even if you crank the volts