Looking for recommendations to build my own NAS on a budget

Hello!

I am in need of a NAS, and I'd like to build my own if it would save me a few bucks. I'm pretty tech savvy, however I've not dealt with any form of NAS'es before, so don't assume I know too much, especially when it comes to software.

My needs are as follows:

-Small(ish?) form factor

-Quiet

-Energy Efficient

-At least 2 HDD slots, so I can RAID them, but expandability (up to 4?) would be nice

-An internal storage for the OS (preferrably a M.2 slot, but a small SATA SSD would do as well)

-Able to run FOSS operating systems like OpenMediaVault or TrueNAS. I don't like running proprietary software if I can help it.

-My budget is around 100$-200$, but I'm also interested in cheaper solutions if there are any.

I'll be using it mostly for personal cloud storage (Nextcloud), no VMs or 4k video streaming, so not a lot of horsepower is needed.

I've been researching my options and I've come across a few:

-A mini PC (like a raspberry) + DAS enclosure

-Repurposing an old PC into a NAS

-Building it from scratch (can get pricy)

-Just buying a new NAS (not a fan of this option, but do suggest me some)

-Buying a secondhand NAS (same as above, but slightly cheaper lol)

Can you tell me what pros and cons the above options have, and which will be best for my use case?

Also share any experience you have with unexpected pitfalls and other problems I might run into and how to avoid them.

Personally, building my own from a raspberry or old PC would be ideal, but I don't have any idea where to begin when it comes to cases (that are compact) and power supplies (that are efficient). Any suggestions and help would be appreciated! 🙂

14 minutes ago, Vulpen said:

Hello!

I am in need of a NAS, and I'd like to build my own if it would save me a few bucks. I'm pretty tech savvy, however I've not dealt with any form of NAS'es before, so don't assume I know too much, especially when it comes to software.

My needs are as follows:

-Small(ish?) form factor

-Quiet

-Energy Efficient

-At least 2 HDD slots, so I can RAID them, but expandability (up to 4?) would be nice

-An internal storage for the OS (preferrably a M.2 slot, but a small SATA SSD would do as well)

-Able to run FOSS operating systems like OpenMediaVault or TrueNAS. I don't like running proprietary software if I can help it.

-My budget is around 100$-200$, but I'm also interested in cheaper solutions if there are any.

I'll be using it mostly for personal cloud storage (Nextcloud), no VMs or 4k video streaming, so not a lot of horsepower is needed.

I've been researching my options and I've come across a few:

-A mini PC (like a raspberry) + DAS enclosure

-Repurposing an old PC into a NAS

-Building it from scratch (can get pricy)

-Just buying a new NAS (not a fan of this option, but do suggest me some)

-Buying a secondhand NAS (same as above, but slightly cheaper lol)

Can you tell me what pros and cons the above options have, and which will be best for my use case?

Also share any experience you have with unexpected pitfalls and other problems I might run into and how to avoid them.

Personally, building my own from a raspberry or old PC would be ideal, but I don't have any idea where to begin when it comes to cases (that are compact) and power supplies (that are efficient). Any suggestions and help would be appreciated! 🙂

IMO the best options are to either "Repurposing an old PC" or "Building it from scratch" (this can actually be done quite cheaply with used parts), but what exactly is best for you depends on the use case, the amount of storage needed, ect..

Could you give us more details about these things 🙂.

Also in the event you go down the route of "Building it from scratch" we'd need to know what country you'd be shopping in so we could find you good deals on parts.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

We will defiantly need more information on what exactly you want out of it and where you are. If you're in the US a prebuilt can be picked up pretty cheap but potential upgrades will be more limited down the road but you can piece together a system pretty cheap on ebay/marketplace and craigslist if you're not afraid to potentially lose one of your organs. 

Do you have any old parts that can be used?

How concerned are you for power efficiency? Some used hardware can be really cheap but may cost you on your power bill.

You aren't planning to hardware raid the drives right? If you can add some to your budget I really like unraid especially if you want to grow the storage down the road. It will let you just add a drive and rebuild. Truenas may have a similar function, when I set up my servers they didn't and I went unraid specifically because of the ease of expansion. Truenas had to have drives added as pools (It has been awhile so this may have changed). 

How are the prices of something like N100 in the place you live? It could be low power alternative to some old second-hand tech and probably better option than something like Synology.

If I am talking out of my ar*e, please tell me why - I am looking to upgrade my own NAS right now with similar needs as OP.

1 hour ago, MarkPol88 said:

How are the prices of something like N100 in the place you live? It could be low power alternative to some old second-hand tech and probably better option than something like Synology.

If I am talking out of my ar*e, please tell me why - I am looking to upgrade my own NAS right now with similar needs as OP.

I run a mini pc that has an n100 that runs windows as the host and virtualize truenas and pass in the drives from a 5 bay orico enclosure and that seems to work well. 

If there are mini pcs that can take multiple sata that could work but I haven't seen any, hence the enclosure and the need to run it virtualize under windows to get the usb enclosure to be stable. 

Woah, thanks for all the quick replies.

I'm from Bulgaria (eastern europe), and PC parts are on the pricier side here, due to VAT, and especially compared to our wages here, hence the low budget I set out for this project. A mini pc with N100 cpu here costs about 400-500 BGN, which is roughly 200-250 USD.

Still, I'd prefer giving more money now on a power-efficient machine, than giving them for power bills years down the line.

For now my storage requirements are rather humble, I think two HDDs in RAID of about 500-1000 gb would be more than enough for the time being, but I'd love to have the option of expanding down the line. I just don't want to be bottlenecked by something stupid like the usb header (in the case of miniPC+DAS) or the cpu speed, I want the storage to feel snappy and approach the max speed of the drive or network.

As I mentioned I'm not well versed in NAS software, so can someone explain how software and hardware RAID works and which one I should use?

I have a couple of old parts lying around from the ddr2 and ddr3 era, some motherboards, ram, cpus, but again I'm concerned with their energy consumption. If I went down the "build your own" road, wouldn't it be better to buy newer secondhand parts that are at least ddr4? Or maybe repurpose a laptop board? - at least they are made with energy efficiency in mind.

52 minutes ago, Vulpen said:

Woah, thanks for all the quick replies.

I'm from Bulgaria (eastern europe), and PC parts are on the pricier side here, due to VAT, and especially compared to our wages here, hence the low budget I set out for this project. A mini pc with N100 cpu here costs about 400-500 BGN, which is roughly 200-250 USD.

Still, I'd prefer giving more money now on a power-efficient machine, than giving them for power bills years down the line.

For now my storage requirements are rather humble, I think two HDDs in RAID of about 500-1000 gb would be more than enough for the time being, but I'd love to have the option of expanding down the line. I just don't want to be bottlenecked by something stupid like the usb header (in the case of miniPC+DAS) or the cpu speed, I want the storage to feel snappy and approach the max speed of the drive or network.

As I mentioned I'm not well versed in NAS software, so can someone explain how software and hardware RAID works and which one I should use?

I have a couple of old parts lying around from the ddr2 and ddr3 era, some motherboards, ram, cpus, but again I'm concerned with their energy consumption. If I went down the "build your own" road, wouldn't it be better to buy newer secondhand parts that are at least ddr4? Or maybe repurpose a laptop board? - at least they are made with energy efficiency in mind.

Any older generation stuff is going to take more power. That is going to be up to you depending on how much your energy costs if it is worth it to you.