i7 3770k overclock 6.3Ghz

I am somehow running a 3770k at 6.3ghz overclock. I without water cooling. With the MSI Z77A-GD55. With a Pad no paste. Single fan Deep cool 1 CPU fan. I been trying to find out why this is possible. I Have no issues with it at all. 500w system. CPU-Z does not get the see it. But the bios and Window 11 and 10 Task Manager see it. I am actually Having problem. With most program showing it. i DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY BUT I WANTED TO DOCUMENT THIS.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 094922.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 095138.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 090243.png

What do you mean CPU-Z doesn't see it?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I am running a overclock. Its stable. Temp is fine. Normally no higher than 37C. 

5 minutes ago, bigfensteve said:

I am running a overclock. Its stable. Temp is fine. Normally no higher than 37C. 

6.7GHz at 37C ?

You're kidding 😄

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

This is what I mean about CPU-Z it doesn't see it. I kind of copied and pasted. This from another thread website, my text anyways. I was asking what a better program to show the overclock. And found HWiNFO64 is more effective. So, I had to show it off. Hopping maybe Linus might see it. JK

Screenshot 2024-02-11 090324.png

That "turbo max" value in HwInfo properties doesn't mean it ever gets reached.

Look at tha actual clocks in HwInfo sensors.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I mean if you know a better way to read temps. It's been giving me mixed info. So, temp from the bios is all I have to go off of.

14 minutes ago, bigfensteve said:

I mean if you know a better way to read temps. It's been giving me mixed info. So, temp from the bios is all I have to go off of.

HWInfo should have temperature sensor readings for the CPU. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

it just stayed at 3,431.9 for all 4 cores and never moves. 

Screenshot 2024-02-11 111819.png

1 minute ago, bigfensteve said:

Screenshot 2024-02-11 111819.png

That means youve left it stock

If you wanna overclock

Set multiplier to 45

Set vcore to 1.3v

Thatll guarantee a stable 4.5ghz cause its a very conservative setting that even garbage chips should be able to hit

Looks like you are stuck at 3400.

6GHz is not in your future, sorry.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

Just now, bigfensteve said:

task manager dose 

Screenshot 2024-02-11 112019.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 111946.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 112058.png

Task Manager is wrong. Stress the CPU and see what clocks are reported using HWInfo. If the CPU is stuck at 3.4GHz, that's likely the real frequency, and something is locking it to 3.4GHz - probably BIOS related or a power setting in Windows. 

3 different programs different reads how can I be running 100% CPU usage. all the time?

Just now, bigfensteve said:

3 different programs different reads how can I be running 100% CPU usage. all the time?

CPU usage and frequency are not the same. 

52 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

CPU usage and frequency are not the same. 

Agreed - What it's telling you is that's the max the chip can do, not that it's actually running at that speed and note it's referring to "Boost", not clocks you are currently at.
Essentially it's saying "This is the max CPU multiplier for boost" and that's about it.
What HWinfo is telling you in that screen are the specs of the chip so you'll know.

You'll never get it running at that speed/multiplier without some really high voltages and sub-zero temps in use.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, bigfensteve said:

Then that's likely what's right. If you're not seeing it move, and don't have a max that matches what you'd expect the others are just reporting wrong values.

Happens with these old platforms, software data reporting wasn't really a standard and reliable thing yet.

As mentioned the "Turbo max" is meaningless, it's 6.1GHz on my CPU, yet it's never hit that speed ever.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Agreed - What it's telling you is that's the max the chip can do, not that it's actually running at that speed and note it's referring to "Boost", not clocks you are currently at.
Essentially it's saying "This is the max CPU multiplier for boost" and that's about it.
What HWinfo is telling you in that screen are the specs of the chip so you'll know.

You'll never get it running at that speed/multiplier without some really high voltages and sub-zero temps in use.

Also agree. 

But my point was that the part can be running at whatever frequency and doing minimal work, or just idling. The higher the frequency, the more performance can be extracted, but frequency does NOT imply how much work the CPU is inherently doing. 

Power saving features though can create a situation that is misleading. In those scenarios, frequency can correspond to load. 

That is...if the component is doing nothing, power saving features will cause the part to reduce clocks and voltage to save power, creating an impression that frequency and usage are the same. 

My 3770K tops out at 4700MHz all load stable. I do not bother with boost or anything like that with it. I think mine needs 1.375v for that speed, maybe a bit more. Been awhile since I fired up that OC Formula.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

My 3770K tops out at 4700MHz all load stable. I do not bother with boost or anything like that with it. I think mine needs 1.375v for that speed, maybe a bit more. Been awhile since I fired up that OC Formula.

Have to freeze mine just to get 6.0 or better from it: https://hwbot.org/submission/4716847_bones_superpi___1m_core_i7_3770k_5sec_922ms

Still need to get my OCF repaired after the last sub-zero session where a board component got wet and popped before I could shut it down.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Ya I never seen this type of bug before sorry for the confusion. I still don't understand. The bugs. I have figured out That it can get to 5 or 6ghz does anyone know. How to even use this buggy overclock settings. I got to 3.9ghz now without its lien to me. I did get it to 4.1ghz really 4 but had to set it at 4.1 to get it to 4. But it still reports 5ghz and 6.3ghz on task manager no matter what I do.