Why is TikTok CEO Shou Chew still lying?

Why is TikTok CEO Shou Chew claiming they have never provided data to the Chinese government when just a couple of months ago Linus screamed-

"NOOOO! BYTEDANCE! HOW COULD YOU?!"

-when they talked about that ByteDance has handed over data to the CCP? Or rather: why are Ted Cruz asking him this when it already public knowledge that they do? I'm not following this super closely so sorry if I've missed something and am being stupid here.

I want to add that yes Ted Cruz asks some stupid questions here like not understanding why the algorithm doesn't show more learning and educational content to American kids, when they obviously are not interested in that.

The main issue I have with these sort of questionnaires is that its a bunch of people who have no idea what actual questions to ask and what information to find out. example:

These are mostly to help make people feel better. Its simply some cfo/ceo going on stage and answering stupid questions with technically correct answers or circling the truth. No real information is gathered and no correctly worded questions that would actually make them sweat is asked.

Simply asking if TikTok sent data over to X country would be easy to say "no we didnt" because TikTok could claim they are a segment of their parent company Bytedance and its Bytedance sending the info to X country and Tiktok can claim they are unaware. Since they didnt ask the proper question its easy enough to sway the answer and thus public opinion.

They should get properly educated in the respective field users asking the questions with the other people present. There is so much more wrong with apps like TikTok then what videos simplify.