Evga 500GD Surge protection

J03tz13l
Go to solution Solved by OhYou_,

sure, most power supplies and any real surge protector contain whats called a MOV, metal oxide resistor.
it's job isnt to exactly protec your equipment, instead, what it does is just EAT the voltage spike.
In doing so, it pulls a ton of current and should trip a circuit breaker.

if you did not have to reset any breaker or reset the switch on your power strip, there either was no spike, it wasnt significant enough to cause damage, or the MOV is worn out. They only last a few surges.

Hello, I would like to know if my Evga 500GD power supply has built-in surge protection, because I am experiencing a lot of electrical instability lately. Recently, I was using my PC and a blackout occurred. I am afraid that it might have damaged some hardware.

Also, I have an external surge protector, but I've heard that they don't block spikes entirely, so some of them can still damage components.

sure, most power supplies and any real surge protector contain whats called a MOV, metal oxide resistor.
it's job isnt to exactly protec your equipment, instead, what it does is just EAT the voltage spike.

if you did not have to reset any breaker or reset the switch on your power strip, there either was no spike, it wasnt significant enough to cause damage, or the MOV is worn out. They only last a few surges.

9 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

Ok, thank you!

it can potentially cause corruption on your disk but i would have hoped windows would sort that out by now.

1 hour ago, J03tz13l said:

Can blackouts alone damage a pc?

Hardware isn't affected by blackouts alone. A blackout is essentially the same as just turning off your PC at the power supply switch, or hitting the power button while in BIOS(turning it off instantly). The main issue relates back to software. If the computer shuts down during normal operation, the software that's running could become corrupt. Corruption can also occur to individual files if you're writing data to a drive.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch