Help, New PC Build, 3rd PCIE Slot wont work and cant update Graphics Card or board

Go to solution Solved by WereZombie16,

I don't understand this but I was able to resolve the problem.

Long description of what I did to fix it below, sorry.

During troubleshooting as I said I was able to get the capture card to work in both the top and middle slots but not the bottom slot. I found an old article when searching on the elgato side and found that someone had a similar issue and they had to go back to an old elgato driver for their card. I went to the elgato site and downloaded the most recent software update for the capture software first. When i tried to update it informed me that i had the most recent update installed but asked if I wanted to uninstall and update anyway. I click yes and after all of the installation and updating was completed it started to work. I'm not sure why it didn't work with the same revision before but now my capture card and graphics cards are both working in my system. Thanks for the help and response.

Hey guys a short story of what is going on, I am a small time youtuber very small time and I built my first PC back in may of 2023. while checking the pc I used my capture card in all 3 ports to make sure they worked since I didn't have a graphics card yet and I noticed that the third slot controlled by the chipset wasn't working there is power to the capture card as I can see my Xbox on the tv but the pc cannot see the device in device manager or any software. Fast forward to November and I finally have a 6700 xt graphics card. I start to use it in the primary slot but the third slot where I need to use the capture card since it requires a x4 slot is showing the same issue. ASRock tech support recommended updating the Bios which I was unable to do so they replaced the entire motherboard.

Now: I have the new motherboard but I am seeing all the exact same issues. Third PCIE slot doesn't work. Cant update board bios, cant run updates for my Chipset or my graphics card either. Any time I try to run an update it gets stuck in a load screen. Any help would be much appreciated, first new PC and first PC Build.

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard: ASRock B650E PG RIPTIDE WIFI

Ram: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory

C Drive: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280

D Drive: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280

E Drive: Western Digital Blue 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM

36 minutes ago, WereZombie16 said:

Hey guys a short story of what is going on, I am a small time youtuber very small time and I built my first PC back in may of 2023. while checking the pc I used my capture card in all 3 ports to make sure they worked since I didn't have a graphics card yet and I noticed that the third slot controlled by the chipset wasn't working there is power to the capture card as I can see my Xbox on the tv but the pc cannot see the device in device manager or any software. Fast forward to November and I finally have a 6700 xt graphics card. I start to use it in the primary slot but the third slot where I need to use the capture card since it requires a x4 slot is showing the same issue. ASRock tech support recommended updating the Bios which I was unable to do so they replaced the entire motherboard.

Now: I have the new motherboard but I am seeing all the exact same issues. Third PCIE slot doesn't work. Cant update board bios, cant run updates for my Chipset or my graphics card either. Any time I try to run an update it gets stuck in a load screen. Any help would be much appreciated, first new PC and first PC Build.

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard: ASRock B650E PG RIPTIDE WIFI

Ram: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory

C Drive: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280

D Drive: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280

E Drive: Western Digital Blue 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM

Okay, admittedly this is a total guess but: it is possiable that the board dosn't expect the third PCIe slot to be populated unless the first slot is already populated. You may need to go into the bios and set the that slot to operate in x4 mode (instead of auto) to get it to work without a card installed in the first slot.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

52 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Okay, admittedly this is a total guess but: it is possiable that the board dosn't expect the third PCIe slot to be populated unless the first slot is already populated. You may need to go into the bios and set the that slot to operate in x4 mode (instead of auto) to get it to work without a card installed in the first slot.

Sorry, I may have left something out by accident. I actually had the same idea in regards to not having the first slot populated but once I got my graphics card in November I populated the first slot. But I will try the other part where I change the Auto to x4. Thank you I will test this today and see how it works out.

During troubleshooting as I said I was able to get the capture card to work in both the top and middle slots but not the bottom slot. I found an old article when searching on the elgato side and found that someone had a similar issue and they had to go back to an old elgato driver for their card. I went to the elgato site and downloaded the most recent software update for the capture software first. When i tried to update it informed me that i had the most recent update installed but asked if I wanted to uninstall and update anyway. I click yes and after all of the installation and updating was completed it started to work. I'm not sure why it didn't work with the same revision before but now my capture card and graphics cards are both working in my system. Thanks for the help and response.

2 hours ago, WereZombie16 said:

possibly wrongly installed, corrupted...broken...somehow? Idk but great that its working now! Enjoy!

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3