I want to upgrade my home network but have no Idea where to Start

MRG112

I currently have my default ISP router modem combo unit thing the specs are below. And a fiber connection from the street, I'm on the top plan and advertised speeds are 900mbs down 500 up. I get about 400 down 300 up depending on time of day.

And I want to upgrade my network, I don't know where to start I feel like I have watched hours of video's about it but now feel more lost than when I started.

I Don't have a fixed budget but聽 willing to go up to around $1000, but cheaper is better as long as I'm not losing out on performance.

I'm considering some for of mesh network like the TP Link DECO unit to have a unit up and downstairs' as there is no networking run through the house and I'm renting and cable's on the staircase are a deathtrap.

If anyone has any suggestion's on what I should get or where to go for some good info please let me know :), I know too much about general PC Stuff but completely聽lost looking at networking related things. Please help 馃檪

Model: Vodafone H-500-t

Dual Core Broadcom 400MHz CPU with 256MB DDR3 RAM
DSL/WAN router
1x ADSL/VDSL (RJ-11)
3 x Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ45)
1 x Gigabit Ethernet WAN (RJ45)
2 x FXS for analogue phones, fax, pos (RJ11)
1 x USB 2.0
4G/3G HSPA via MBB USB stick
Wi-Fi 11b/g/n/ac dual band concurrent: 5GHz Quantenna 4x4 聽MIMO and beam forming. 聽2,4GHz Broadcom 2x2
DSL chipset - Bcm6303

21 hours ago, MRG112 said:

I'm on the top plan and advertised speeds are 900mbs down 500 up. I get about 400 down 300 up depending on time of day.

And I want to upgrade my network, I don't know where to start I feel like I have watched hours of video's about it but now feel more lost than when I started.

So are you saying that using a wired connection to your ISP router gets 900/500, but connecting to it using wifi only gets 400/300?

Because if your concern is just that your wired speeds aren't as fast as what your ISP advertise: Then that would mean troubleshooting it with your ISP. You could try buying your own dedicated hardware like separate聽 modem, separate router, and separate wifi (or all in one modem/router/wifi, or a modem and a router/wifi), which may be better hardware than what your ISP gave you, but if the speed issue is on their end and not the hardware, then replacing hardware won't help.

If it is just that you want your wifi to be faster because wired speed > wifi...

21 hours ago, MRG112 said:

Wi-Fi 11b/g/n/ac dual band concurrent: 5GHz Quantenna 4x4 聽MIMO and beam forming. 聽2,4GHz Broadcom 2x2

So this means it is capable of some kind wifi 5/AC speeds.

So first, if you want faster wifi you can get the best wifi access point (AP) and it will make little to no difference if it only supports wifi 5/ac. Also, many devices only have a 1x1 or 2x2 antenna even for 5 GHz, which can cut its theoreticsl max throughput/link speed relative to an AP's advertised max with 4x4. So if an AP claims 2000 mbps theoretical max and has a 4x4, but your device only has a 1x1 antenna then theoretical max is 500 mbps, and chances are your ACTUAL max will be some amount lower depending on how far it is from the AP and a ton of other environmental factors.

So if you have devices that support wifi 6, then your current wifi 5 all in one can be holding back faster throughput. If your devices are only wifi 5, then your best bet is picking at least a wifi 6 (maybe wifi 5) that supports higher聽QAM/modulation numbers (like 512 or 1024) on 5 GHz band than your current all in one.

I have an ASUS Zen Wifi Mini mesh system that was a decent upgrade from wifi 5 to wifi 6. That's all I know about hardware that's remotely recent, as I only tend to upgrade my wifi going from one generation to the next only when my reception gets weak when I move homes. So I can't comment on how TP deco does other than I know that ASUS doesn't require a mobile app for most router/AP management.

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If it's just faster wifi then start by finding out what you're devices support, if they don't support wifi 6 or 7 a new router or access point may not help you.

Next would be to map out your wifi coverage using something like the wifiman app on your phone. Simply placing your wifi source in the right location may be a large improvement.

If you still find you aren't getting the speeds you're looking for buy new gear according to your budget. I like ubiquiti gear, but there are many good brands out there. If you decide to buy a router make sure you can put your ISP gear into bridge mode to avoid double NAT.