Setting up a Ubiquiti 24 port POE Switch

yanghoyoung

Hello all,

New to the forum and hoping someone can help me.

I have been on Reddit to try to get some answers and its been helpful but ulitmately still hasnt resolved my issue.

My current setup is an Arris Surfboard Modem. Netgear Tomahawk Router, and a Ubiquiti 24 port POE switch.

I'm trying to adopt the switch to my network.  through desktop application that I'm pusing to the browser. When i go to add a device nothing shows up. 

My path is I have a patch cable from the back of the router to port 1 on the switch, and a patch cable from my switch ( port 2) to my computer. 

It will not find the switch. I did buy the switch as a refurbished unit from B&H photo, and maybe there is something wrong with it. (I doubt it, because this my first time setting up a home network)

I also tried to do the device discovery from Ubiquiti, but the chrome file gives me a 404 error while the Java download gives me code I do not understand. 

Hoping someone can help me get this setup. 

Thanks again.

I've had this issue in the past. The desktop app has difficulty seeing new devices. You need to ssh into the switch and input a command to inform your controller.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204909754-UniFi-Network-Remote-Adoption-Layer-3

You will need to download an app called putty to ssh in. I believe the default user and password is ubnt.

You should be able to find the IP address of the switch on the settings menu of the touch screen on the switch.

Open putty, input the switch IP address and click connect, input your credentials user:ubnt password: ubnt. When logged in enter this command being sure to input the IP address of your controller: http://ip-of-host:8080/inform.