Worth upgrading to 2TB NVME for main drive?

g335

Hello,

I have a 1 Tb Samsung 980 pro for my main drive on my pc.  The pc is mainly for 3D design,rendering, movie editing, graphic design and gaming.  I put games on a separate drive. 

I find that the programs I want to install on the main drive(productiving software) are starting to take up lots of space.  The Adobe suite is big, the Cinema 4D and things are big, etc. 

Would a 2Tb be better to get? Samsung 990 pro or Sk hyunix Platinum P41  NVME ?

Should I do a clean install or copy the current drive to the new one?  I have a OEM Windows 11 Key, so if clean install  would I have to get a new license?

5 minutes ago, g335 said:

so if clean install  would I have to get a new license?

No, as you reinstalling to the same machine.

7 minutes ago, g335 said:

Should I do a clean install or copy the current drive to the new one? 

if want to clean install do so. Otherwise use Samsung magician to clone to new nvme.

On 2/4/2024 at 2:39 PM, g335 said:

Would a 2Tb be better to get? Samsung 990 pro or Sk hyunix Platinum P41  NVME ?

If your existing 1TB is filling up and you wouldn't be happy with the performance of whatever other drive you could move stuff to, then 2TB would be better. Comes down to how much of your data needs to be accessed at pcie 4 speeds at anytime.

It looks like if you believe sheer manufacturer specs the 990 Pro slightly beats P41 Platinum on every level at 2TB, as P41 Plat was more competitve against 980 Pro. Do your homework on actual review benchmarks though.

On 2/4/2024 at 2:39 PM, g335 said:

Should I do a clean install or copy the current drive to the new one?  I have a OEM Windows 11 Key, so if clean install  would I have to get a new license?

I heard that OEM keys are generally tied to the first system they're installed on and dont carry to another system like non-OEM licenses might, but I don't know that switching storage would mean "new hardware" in that way. So do so at your own risk until you find our otherwise.

Do a clean install if you are up for it, especially if youve changed mobos, GPu, or something major since older drivers can still linger. Otherwise, if you move TO a Samsung then Magician might be fine - I've used it twice going from HDD to Samsung SATA then that to Samsung NVME, and my first one went fine, but the second one failed to clone - Maybe I should've run as admin or tried in safe mode? It doesn't suggest or require it.

IIRC, Hynix might provide white-labeled Macrium Reflect free, and Macrium has worked every time for me so I recommend it for imaging even my boot drive and its okay for backup purposes too.

Without Samsung or Hynix tools, I forget if Partition Wizard can generate image files. If not, there's still some Macrium Reflect free version floating around, though they're not developing it and it won't be supported for long.

honestly I bought a 4tb samsung t7 shield for 260 on sale in canada and couldnt be more happy. I have 2tb and a 1tb on my main laptop and the 4tb is at 400gb full and lots of space left. its fast 650mbs constant and it gets the job done...highly recommend the t7 shield and a 4tb external might be the way to go if you ever need to move files, if you do alot of video editing then 4tb minimum

19 hours ago, jre84 said:

honestly I bought a 4tb samsung t7 shield for 260 on sale in canada and couldnt be more happy. I have 2tb and a 1tb on my main laptop and the 4tb is at 400gb full and lots of space left. its fast 650mbs constant and it gets the job done...highly recommend the t7 shield and a 4tb external might be the way to go if you ever need to move files, if you do alot of video editing then 4tb minimum

You keep your project files on the 4tb for editing? Why not a NVME in a external drive case?

I thought of that, mainly didnt opt for a external nvme because of fragility. this thing has and can be dropped. I was just throwing in my two cents as to what I have and what works. alot of times I think ok i need more space ill buy a ssd for my computers. then i think what will I be putting on them, so its just moveable files i think ill opt for a external and save hundreds. besides when nvme goes out this usb c drive will still be decent, longevity is at play it will last longer. if you just want to benefit on computer vs many then yes go for internal. if you dont mind the risk in getting a nvme adaptor and say installing a sn850x go for it, but the risk is there