Game crashes instantly with Discord on (SOLVED)

marcog2

Borderlands 3 is exhibiting some weird behavior for me. When nothing else demanding is on, it runs, but just the main menu cranks up to 99-100% GPU utilisation. It's getting around 190 fps, so I thought this was normal that it would just go as fast as it can. The problem arises when I have Discord on. The game crashes 5-20 seconds after starting up, not even reaching the menu. No error messages pop up either.

I haven't seen this behavior before in any other game. Drivers and Windows are up to date. Nothing in Event Viewing seems to obviously direct me towards the problem, although I'm not really sure what to even look for.

I assume it's not a hardware issue. I have an RX 7800 XT, Ryzen 7 5700G, and 16GB 3200 DDR4 RAM. Has anyone had this sort of problem before? Is there some sort of setting in Adrenalin or Steam or whatever I can change to fix this problem? 

**EDIT: Turned off Discord overlay, and the game launched and has run with no problem. I've never even used Discord overlay in my life. Annoying, but I'm glad the fix was simple.

23 minutes ago, marcog2 said:

Borderlands 3 is exhibiting some weird behavior for me. When nothing else demanding is on, it runs, but just the main menu cranks up to 99-100% GPU utilisation. It's getting around 190 fps, so I thought this was normal that it would just go as fast as it can. The problem arises when I have Discord on. The game crashes 5-20 seconds after starting up, not even reaching the menu. No error messages pop up either.

I haven't seen this behavior before in any other game. Drivers and Windows are up to date. Nothing in Event Viewing seems to obviously direct me towards the problem, although I'm not really sure what to even look for.

I assume it's not a hardware issue. I have an RX 7800 XT, Ryzen 7 5700G, and 16GB 3200 DDR4 RAM. Has anyone had this sort of problem before? Is there some sort of setting in Adrenalin or Steam or whatever I can change to fix this problem? 

Make sure your PC is stable and reset tuning to default in Adrenalin (revert overclocks and stuff).

Then you could try disabling hardware acceleration in Discord - but it shouldn't cause a problem. 

Can you do a "Complete System Stress Test?"

Steps ::

Step 1: Set up the built-in AMD Adrenalin Performance Overlay. Use this to monitor your PC's CPU/GPU while running the benchmarks. 

Step 2: Download the Unigine Heaven benchmark (GPU stress test) and run it. Run it twice, one time with all apps closed and one time with Discord open. 

Step 3: Download Cinebench R23 or 2024 - your choice (CPU test) and run the test. Just like Heaven benchmark, Run it twice, one time with all apps closed and one time with Discord open.

**These are benchmarks. The scores don't really matter - the whole point of running these tests is to make sure your PC doesn't crash under load with other apps open. 

Come back when you're done! 😉 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

5 hours ago, PowerPCFan said:

Make sure your PC is stable and reset tuning to default in Adrenalin (revert overclocks and stuff).

Then you could try disabling hardware acceleration in Discord - but it shouldn't cause a problem. 

Can you do a "Complete System Stress Test?"

Steps ::

Step 1: Set up the built-in AMD Adrenalin Performance Overlay. Use this to monitor your PC's CPU/GPU while running the benchmarks. 

Step 2: Download the Unigine Heaven benchmark (GPU stress test) and run it. Run it twice, one time with all apps closed and one time with Discord open. 

Step 3: Download Cinebench R23 or 2024 - your choice (CPU test) and run the test. Just like Heaven benchmark, Run it twice, one time with all apps closed and one time with Discord open.

**These are benchmarks. The scores don't really matter - the whole point of running these tests is to make sure your PC doesn't crash under load with other apps open. 

Come back when you're done! 😉 

Thanks so much for the advice! Really appreciate it! Tried this and no crashes. However, I think I might have found the problem. I turned off Discord's overlay (which I've never even used) and the game ran with no problem. Hopefully, nothing else comes up. 

But again, super appreciate the advice! I'm sure I'll have more use for these tools in the future. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, marcog2 said:

Thanks so much for the advice! Really appreciate it! Tried this and no crashes. However, I think I might have found the problem. I turned off Discord's overlay (which I've never even used) and the game ran with no problem. Hopefully, nothing else comes up. 

But again, super appreciate the advice! I'm sure I'll have more use for these tools in the future. Thanks again!

No prob - glad your PC works now! 🙂

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx