CPU Temps running hot

Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
22 minutes ago, Risteven said:

First time PC Builder, got parts for Christmas and built them:

Parts I think are relevant - 

AMD Ryzen 7 7700 X CPU

MSI MAG Coreliquid C360

Sometimes the PC boots, temps run normally, no issues. Idles at about 40C.

Other times, temps start rising on startup and just don’t stop. Sometimes it’s like the cooler slows the rising temps but they always eventually continue rising into the 90-100 range.

Was told too much thermal paste could be the issue, so I reapplied thermal paste last night, worked the first time I booted it up. Today, back to the same old issue. Is it an issue with the cooler itself? Did I put too much paste again? Help please 🙂

Let me know if there is any other info you need

I know MSI has had major issues with their R series of AIO's and the one you use could be affected.

That being said, the 7700x is designed to hit a thermal limit of 95c BEFORE anything else like downclocking or similar.

Seing temps up to 95c is completely fine ( if your cooler is working!! )

seeing 90-100c during idle is not correct.

AMD Ryzen 7 7700 X CPU

MSI MAG Coreliquid C360

Other times, temps start rising on startup and just don’t stop. Sometimes it’s like the cooler slows the rising temps but they always eventually continue rising into the 90-100 range.

Was told too much thermal paste could be the issue, so I reapplied thermal paste last night, worked the first time I booted it up. Today, back to the same old issue. Is it an issue with the cooler itself? Did I put too much paste again? Help please 🙂

too much paste is never the issue. Its more then likely a bad pump as the MSI AIO's are known to have issues. It is odd however it works sometimes but doesnt other times. Just double check the AIO PUMP plug and power plug, make sure they are seated fully.

22 minutes ago, Risteven said:

AMD Ryzen 7 7700 X CPU

MSI MAG Coreliquid C360

I know MSI has had major issues with their R series of AIO's and the one you use could be affected.

That being said, the 7700x is designed to hit a thermal limit of 95c BEFORE anything else like downclocking or similar.

Seing temps up to 95c is completely fine ( if your cooler is working!! )

seeing 90-100c during idle is not correct.

AIO's are just too much work for first time builders to diagnose and maintain. A $35 air cooler would be just fine with that chip.

What is the RPM? Its an MSI CoreLiquid so its entirely possible its all gummed up inside, those models have historically been trash. Where is the rad mounted, the pump is in the radiator.