is this unit a bomb?

aren332

https://bjorn3d.com/2006/09/antec-truepower-trio-650-watt-power-supply-unit/

My friend gave me this tp3-650 antec psu for fixing his pc, now im just wondering, how reliable is it? It has a little amount of dust, so it wasnt used for that long (unless it was cleaned) but my friend said he found it at a dumpster. Is it safe to put this unit into a working system?

6 minutes ago, aren332 said:

My friend gave me this tp3-650 antec psu for fixing his pc, now im just wondering, how reliable is it? It has a little amount of dust, so it wasnt used for that long (unless it was cleaned) but my friend said he found it at a dumpster. Is it safe to put this unit into a working system?

I'd pass on using that. Never know when it was bought and how long its been used before being thrown out in a dumpster...

The unit can be 18 years old at this point as it released in 2006.

I would put it back in the dumpster.

29 minutes ago, aren332 said:

Maybe not a bomb but rather a forgotten shell from a past war 😛 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, aren332 said:

Is it safe to put this unit into a working system?

If it was in a dumpster, it was probably there for a reason. I would't use it.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

A bomb? no no, this is an IED.

The housing is nice though, I've always liked the square grill pattern, I'd definitely use something like this for a small bench PSU, to power some light bulbs or LEDs, the wires always come in handy as well. Unless you're into electronics there's not much you can do with it.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

A bomb? no no, this is an IED.

The housing is nice though, I've always liked the square grill pattern, I'd definitely use something like this for a small bench PSU, to power some light bulbs or LEDs, the wires always come in handy as well. Unless you're into electronics there's not much you can do with it.

Only thing aside from that is what I've been doing with one out of a really old machine and that's using it to power the waterpump to my cooling system.
Gotta know how to wire it in so you can use the switch on the back to turn it on or off while it's plugged into the wall but that's what I've done with this one - Been working for about 5 years that way with no issues.

However, DO NOT connect it to the system itself.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

Only thing aside from that is what I've been doing with one out of a really old machine and that's using it to power the waterpump to my cooling system.
Gotta know how to wire it in so you can use the switch on the back to turn it on or off while it's plugged into the wall but that's what I've done with this one - Been working for about 5 years that way with no issues.

However, DO NOT connect it to the system itself.

Mine has funny confusing labels and I replaced the monitor power out with a neon switch which is green but glows amber. The wiring is gone in order to accomodate the lamp connector. Can output up to 8.3A which is pretty good for a noname unit.

2A3A.jpg.5be2d49d4c643d846c450a51afbcdff8.jpg

Got a whole box of them for spares, even a "gaming" one with a blue LED fan heh

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

Test it out of pc first like this https://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/atx_psu_startup/ (don't need a switch for testing piece of wire is good enough)

If you don't have a multimeter you can use a spare case fan or some simple 12 volt device like a dc motor to test 12volt(yellow wires) and 5volt(red wires) outputs, if it works than you won't have much problems. Old units might have problems handling overload loads (120-150%) if those big 450v capacitors dry up, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem since buck converters on motherbard/gpu have their own capacitors, you should be good if you don't push it too hard, components in quality PSUs are rated for around 10 years minimum and even after that if the capacitors are the weak link they degrade linearly, so it can be working good enough for 20+ years, but might not be able to handle torture loads like a new unit.

On 2/4/2024 at 4:38 PM, JovanD said:

Test it out of pc first like this https://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/atx_psu_startup/ (don't need a switch for testing piece of wire is good enough)

If you don't have a multimeter you can use a spare case fan or some simple 12 volt device like a dc motor to test 12volt(yellow wires) and 5volt(red wires) outputs, if it works than you won't have much problems. Old units might have problems handling overload loads (120-150%) if those big 450v capacitors dry up, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem since buck converters on motherbard/gpu have their own capacitors, you should be good if you don't push it too hard, components in quality PSUs are rated for around 10 years minimum and even after that if the capacitors are the weak link they degrade linearly, so it can be working good enough for 20+ years, but might not be able to handle torture loads like a new unit.

yeah i connected a 12v server fan to sata and it worked at full speed (10k rpm lmao). Also it seems to be a high end unit because it has a lot of cables like individual fan power cables with control

2 hours ago, aren332 said:

yeah i connected a 12v server fan to sata and it worked at full speed (10k rpm lmao). Also it seems to be a high end unit because it has a lot of cables like individual fan power cables with control

The TruePower series was not really a high-end unit, even at the time of release.

However, it was definitely better than some of the "650W" crap CoolerMaster, Thermalake, and even some other Antec models, available.

It has a lot of cables because of it's non-modular design, support for multiple graphics cards.

The "extra" Fan-only connectors are there because motherboards didn't have much fan headers back then.

I had an Antec TruePower Trio 430W back in ~2009, powering an upgraded Acer pre-built, running AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ with an ATi Radeon HD 4850. It was like $30? from Fry's Electronics (when they were still around and pretty big). The "Can it run Crysis" era.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

3 hours ago, -rascal- said:

The TruePower series was not really a high-end unit, even at the time of release.

However, it was definitely better than some of the "650W" crap CoolerMaster, Thermalake, and even some other Antec models, available.

It has a lot of cables because of it's non-modular design, support for multiple graphics cards.

The "extra" Fan-only connectors are there because motherboards didn't have much fan headers back then.

I had an Antec TruePower Trio 430W back in ~2009, powering an upgraded Acer pre-built, running AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ with an ATi Radeon HD 4850. It was like $30? from Fry's Electronics (when they were still around and pretty big). The "Can it run Crysis" era.

Main issue with older models of power supplies even higher end ones is that they had multi rail design, but they didn't label which cable was on which rail, so that was annoying if you wanted to run multiple GPUs and use molex to pci adapters. That Antec is kinda like x3 220W PSUs in one box, still useful though.