Updating very old version of win 10, should i use/download an update assistant?

Mark Kaine
Go to solution Solved by BlueChinchillaEatingDorito,
1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Let me prephase, i don't want to update, but in order to update dx12 to play some games i apparently have to... so far so good, but from previous experience i know that's going to tank my performance (idk the reason,  i just know that's a fact, we're talking like 25% of my pcs current performance,  current version is win 10 1809...)

so im just wondering if i should use an update assistant instead of just regular windows update?

mind you,  i probably also have to use sfc scan now and dism, cause currently i simply don't have the update program* (namely update orchestrator) on my system...... but then , still, would Microsoft update assistant help possibly? 

lastly i also don't want to do a fresh install because then im losing my logins and passwords... already tried that... performance still wasn't great and like half my passwors unrecoverable... (honestly not worth it to me, then i rather stay on 1809 lol) 

so again, update assistant or any similar programs that could help me with updating windows 10?

*clarification:

Hide contents

so just to be clear, i know what i did and how to reverse it:

renamed update orchestrator 

renamed the windows update alert thing, so it doesn't annoy me constantly 

used sledgehammer for good measure to be sure there are never any updates (hint: it does work!)

so i think i have to use sfc and dism and also turn updates on in sledgehammer before/after doing that ... (maybe sledgehammer alone would rename or recover the update process,  but i doubt that...)

and im honestly not sure if any of that matters,  i think the main problem is there are just too many updates and that messes something up, hence i think update assistant might be useful? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

If I remember correctly, you should be able to launch the Media Creation Tool and just run the Update this PC option.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Yep, someone did update from 1803 to 21H2 directly using that.

https://superuser.com/questions/1752883/how-to-do-an-in-place-upgrade-of-windows

Let me prephase, i don't want to update, but in order to update dx12 to play some games i apparently have to... so far so good, but from previous experience i know that's going to tank my performance (idk the reason,  i just know that's a fact, we're talking like 25% of my pcs current performance,  current version is win 10 1809...)

so im just wondering if i should use an update assistant instead of just regular windows update?

mind you,  i probably also have to use sfc scan now and dism, cause currently i simply don't have the update program* (namely update orchestrator) on my system...... but then , still, would Microsoft update assistant help possibly? 

lastly i also don't want to do a fresh install because then im losing my logins and passwords... already tried that... performance still wasn't great and like half my passwors unrecoverable... (honestly not worth it to me, then i rather stay on 1809 lol) 

so again, update assistant or any similar programs that could help me with updating windows 10?

*clarification:

Spoiler

used sledgehammer for good measure to be sure there are never any updates (hint: it does work!)

so i think i have to use sfc and dism and also turn updates on in sledgehammer before/after doing that ... (maybe sledgehammer alone would rename or recover the update process,  but i doubt that...)

and im honestly not sure if any of that matters,  i think the main problem is there are just too many updates and that messes something up, hence i think update assistant might be useful? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

*clarification:

Hide contents

If I remember correctly, you should be able to launch the Media Creation Tool and just run the Update this PC option.

https://superuser.com/questions/1752883/how-to-do-an-in-place-upgrade-of-windows

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

16 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

thanks!  that sounds like what i was looking for, I'll check it out! 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 2/3/2024 at 3:32 AM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yep, someone did update from 1803 to 21H2 directly using that

so its currently updating... the thing that took them 70 minutes took exactly 10 for me lol... eh.

still guessing the actual update will take a while

20240206_034746.thumb.jpg.bf72fc0b5ae46a4a9485d651deadee27.jpg

umm, dumb question,  should i have removed my Razer Wolverine V2 before starting this, should i remove it now? i read controllers can mess up updates, but idk if i should do that now since its already running >.< 

eh, i guess i just keep my fingers crossed either way! 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

@BlueChinchillaEatingDorito

and the thing (the actual update) that took 16 *hours* for them took exactly 15 minutes 😅

20240206_040314.thumb.jpg.e0db816eaca721600e6206c886736a6e.jpg

i guess my pc is just built differently  ~

but now off to see about performance >.< (im not very hopeful lol) 

edit: so far there are no performance issues, only tested one game tho... 

also updates turned off again,  until the next couple of years or so i guess... but yes, this was exactly the right idea...

i can't believe how fast it was, ~25 minutes in total!!! (unlike that other guy)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity