Anyone here done an office chair DIY cushion replacement?

cardsfanbj

I've been contemplating replacing the cushion in my office chair. I really like the Amazon basics chair I already have, aside from the lack of cushion in the seat. 

I've looked around and haven't found any chair I actually like that fits within my budget, whether at Sam's Club, Costco, Office Max/Depot, or the used office supply store near me. I'm aiming to keep it under $100. Craigslist and FB market are severely lacking in my area, haven't found anything there.

I'm a 3XL kinda guy, and nothing I've found actually has appealed to me yet. Everything is either not cushioned enough or it's too narrow. I'm also not a fan of leather, I prefer fabric or mesh. 

I'm not really sure what kind of foam to get, or where to get it. I've looked on Amazon and from the little I know I can tell its selection is terrible.
Cushion dimensions are approximately 20"x20", and thickness with the base is 2.5-3"

Locally, I don't have many craft stores that actually seem to carry upholstery foam. Hobby Lobby and Michael's either don't have anything, or if they do it's online not in store near me. JoAnn Fabrics does carry foam, but they only have 1 type (green high density polyurethane) with varying sizes available. (No locally owned craft stores near me that actually carry this kind of merchandise, everything that shows up are glorified custom vinyl cutting shops)

I really haven't found many people doing the same, and the ones I have found aren't great on the details.

I've posted in r/DIY and the only response I got was to try r/upholstery instead, which got nothing.
I've done some looking and have questions about what type of foam to use. Stuff listed on Amazon is lacking in the details, and

For my work chair, since I don't own it, I just bought one of those foam cushions that you place on top. It's been fine for me.

I know my mom actually bought replacement foam for her couch a while back. I googled couch cushion foam, and this seems to bring up all sorts of options. This likely would get you some firmer options, and much thicker ones as well. Might be a thought?

37 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

For my work chair, since I don't own it, I just bought one of those foam cushions that you place on top. It's been fine for me.

I know my mom actually bought replacement foam for her couch a while back. I googled couch cushion foam, and this seems to bring up all sorts of options. This likely would get you some firmer options, and much thicker ones as well. Might be a thought?

I've been using a cushion for the last few years. Problem is finding the right cushion in the right size. Like I said, I'm a 3XL size and every time I try a new cushion, it's too small

I've been using a Sharper Image gel cushion that I loved, but it lasts roughly 2 years and even if I wanted to replace it, it's discontinued. I originally got it 4 years ago at Sam's Club, that one broke down enough that it wasn't supportive anymore and found there were a few left on Amazon, but they're out there now, too. 

They also have an issue where the texture on the bottom wears out fairly quickly, and I remedy that by putting grip tape on the bottom in its place, but that seems to wear out, too. 

I've tried the "egg sitter" style of honeycomb gel cushions that seem to be the new hotness, but I did not find them comfortable long-term. 

The seat in my chair (Secret Lab Titan Evo) is very hard. I got a wheelchair memory foam style bottom seat cushion. It's pretty decent size - roughly 17-18" square. I sit in this seat about 10-12 hours per day when I work from home. This one is very similar because the one I got is no longer available but can vouch for it because I got the same one for my wife.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:50 PM, TheGreatestGazoo said:

That is the exact one I've been sitting on at work for the last year since our chairs are horrible.