Make your Android phone feel faster - for free

kasdashd

Just wanted to share this with anyone who didn't know about it. 

In the developer options on Android phones, which you can enable by tapping your build number 7 times, you can change the speed of the UI animations, or even disable them completely, just like you can disable all animations in WIndows. This make the phone feel faster, cause transitions happen instantly, instead of doing sliding animations and stuff like that. I'm actually surprised that these aren't disabled by default, or at least sped up from the default 1x speed to 0.5x speed. 

Anyway, most of you tech people in here probably already know about this, but some people might not, and might've just learned something new by now.

2 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

I'm actually surprised that these aren't disabled by default, or at least sped up from the default 1x speed to 0.5x speed.

😂 To think lack of animations was something a manager remarked negatively during one of my past workplace reviews… take your coworker as an example, he adds all these little animations that makes stuff feel a lot more professional.

That said, transitions can often help less experienced user to understand what's going on. So I can see why they are enabled by default. Experienced users can always disable them.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Animations are often there precisely to make things feel smoother.

With animation - the animation starts instantly, even if stuff is still loading

Without animation - if things haven't loaded yet you get an instant of nothing happening, which can be way more frustrating.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I can't say I feel as if I'm waiting on animations while trying to do something on my phone.

Animations can make a lot of transitions feel more cohesive, imo.