First custom server build

Budget (including currency): Cheap and cheerfulish, need all pcie lines i can muster for multiple windows and linux vms

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Angular builds, DataBase interactions with SQL Developer, DBeaver on Oracle and Mysql/MariaDB databases. GPU compute is not needed as far as i know at least, unless some of these tasks can benefit from GPU compute.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Today we run an older Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2696 v2 @ 2.50GHz platform. Single core Angular builds on our projects typically take about ~10 to 15 minutes, getting that down to 2-5 min would be a huge time saver.

We have been using HP Proliant G8 and G9 servers with some custom modificiations to be able to run nvme SSDs over a PCIE card so I know its the cpu bottlenecking us at the moment.

We have never built a custom server before and could really use some input on what to watch out for. We would like to get hold of a couple of AMD server cpus and then build 2 servers around that. What chassi to choose? What harddrives to use? I dont have experience with newer hardware. Some input on what nvme server harddrives to look for and how to configure them for VM use would be much appreciated.

We need to fit things into a 1U chassi, so we need this to be low profile server coolers with fans blowing across all components.

I will stop there 🙂  I am not sure what else to share. I am really looking forward to hear from someone that knows more about the server hardware side of things.