Connecting Wiim Mini to Dell MMS 5650 Speakers for 5.1

I am trying to connect my Wiim Mini to my Dell MMS 5650 speakers to get direct, 5.1 surround sound. The Wiim Mini has a SPDIF output( which to my knowledge will be digital and preserve the 6 channels versus the aux output which makes it stereo), so I need to use an external sound card/dac to convert the digital signal to analog surround.

The Dell MMS 5650 speakers has 3 lime-yellow-green TRS 3.5mm outputs for audio. I have looked using a variety of external sound cards, but none of them have been able to convert the digital signal from the Wiim Mini dierctly to the 3 TRS connectors which give the 6 5.1 channels.

I am looking for an external sound card that has a digital input (either optical or coaxial) and 6 analog outputs (TRS or RCA). connection for the lime-yellow-green TRS inputs on the Dell speakers.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Can the device even output 5.1 surround?
Can't find anything about output other than stereo.  You might want to try the wiimhome forum to confirm 5.1 output is possible before going any further down the rabbit hole.

But I'm just talking out my ass.

16 hours ago, johnsolo said:

I am trying to connect my Wiim Mini to my Dell MMS 5650 speakers to get direct, 5.1 surround sound. The Wiim Mini has a SPDIF output( which to my knowledge will be digital and preserve the 6 channels versus the aux output which makes it stereo), so I need to use an external sound card/dac to convert the digital signal to analog surround.

The Dell MMS 5650 speakers has 3 lime-yellow-green TRS 3.5mm outputs for audio. I have looked using a variety of external sound cards, but none of them have been able to convert the digital signal from the Wiim Mini dierctly to the 3 TRS connectors which give the 6 5.1 channels.

I am looking for an external sound card that has a digital input (either optical or coaxial) and 6 analog outputs (TRS or RCA). connection for the lime-yellow-green TRS inputs on the Dell speakers.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/SOUTHSKY-Digital-Decoder-Converter-Optical/dp/B08KD9NVXY/ref=mp_s_a_1_10_sspa?crid=3AI6JVVOAO6XP&keywords=toslink+5.1&qid=1706827036&sprefix=toslink+5.1%2Caps%2C5431&sr=8-10-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfbXRm&psc=1

This should work assuming the wiim outputs 5.1

9 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Only problem with that is it outputs the 5.1 in rca size…do I need a special one that just does the 3 trs or could I just do a little 3.mm to rca for each one and plug it in to the one you sent?

33 minutes ago, johnsolo said:

Only problem with that is it outputs the 5.1 in rca size…do I need a special one that just does the 3 trs or could I just do a little 3.mm to rca for each one and plug it in to the one you sent?

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Adapter-Splitter-Connects-Smartphone/dp/B09GW6JHY6/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=3.5mm%2Bto%2Brca%2Bcable&qid=1706862169&sr=8-4&th=1

Just get these. But have you confimed that the Wiim does surround sound? I would be surprised if i did. Seems to be a stereo device fro my quick search.