Networking upgrade question

SVThuh

Hi all, I currently have a very cobbled together home networking setup consisting of an HP Procurve 2810-24g 24port gigabit switch, with a 2.5gb switch integrated for 4 computers, that ties into the Procurve.  My wifi is handled by a Linksys WRT-3200ACM running OpnWRT.

Im trying to streamline all of this.  The whole of the house is wired, so all Apple TV's and Rokus are wired, as well as all desktops, and basically anything with a RJ45 port gets plugged in.  Im wondering if the following devices would work with and integrate into my existing setup.

Cable Modem -> Ubiquity ER-4 EdgeRouter -> ProCurve switch via SFP -> 2.5gbe switch -> Ubiquity UniFi AC Mesh AP - UAP-AC-M-US.

Am I out of line thinking it would be worth it to connect the EdgeRouter to the ProCurve via SFP?  I already have 4 HP SFP SX, J4858C modules I could use, I would just need a FO cable to attach, correct?

Thanks.

I mean like you are making things quite complicated for a home network?

Like just modem -> switch -> all devices including ap(s)

Its simple non complicated and works.

1 hour ago, SVThuh said:

Am I out of line thinking it would be worth it to connect the EdgeRouter to the ProCurve via SFP?  I already have 4 HP SFP SX, J4858C modules I could use, I would just need a FO cable to attach, correct?

Its all gigabit you dont need it like at all unless its extremely far away.

If its all for fun then well fuck it send it we ball. But from a pure functionality standpoint keep it as simple as possible and keep it clean.

You need many ports for cabled devices? Ok switch time. Aha you have one check.

Isp modem gets internet in and has a gigabit out? Alright perfect click into the switch.

Need wifi? Time for some acces points maybe a mesh. Click em into the switch.

Thats all you need really for a network setup.

Any reason for a 2.5gb switch? Like if you dont have that ethernet speed and dont have a reallt fast nas theres no use for it

51 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I mean like you are making things quite complicated for a home network?

Like just modem -> switch -> all devices including ap(s)

Its simple non complicated and works.

Its all gigabit you dont need it like at all unless its extremely far away.

If its all for fun then well fuck it send it we ball. But from a pure functionality standpoint keep it as simple as possible and keep it clean.

You need many ports for cabled devices? Ok switch time. Aha you have one check.

Isp modem gets internet in and has a gigabit out? Alright perfect click into the switch.

Need wifi? Time for some acces points maybe a mesh. Click em into the switch.

Thats all you need really for a network setup.

Any reason for a 2.5gb switch? Like if you dont have that ethernet speed and dont have a reallt fast nas theres no use for it

Cable modem doesn't have any routing capabilities, hence the router. I see what you mean about the SFP, copper is cheaper and easier.  The 2.5gb switch is for the three computers that acutally have 2.5gb ethernet nics (gaming pc, editing pc, unraid box).

3 hours ago, SVThuh said:

Cable Modem -> Ubiquity ER-4 EdgeRouter -> ProCurve switch via SFP -> 2.5gbe switch -> Ubiquity UniFi AC Mesh AP - UAP-AC-M-US.

Looks OK to me.

I wouldn't go out of my way for the SFP link. It's still gigabit after all, and you can reach that on ethernet. Unless you're running out of GbE ports on the ER-4...

3 hours ago, SVThuh said:

UAP-AC-M-US

Any reason for this AP in particular? Cost below MSRP, already have in possession, etc.?

6 hours ago, SVThuh said:

If you expect the ER-4 to enforce QoS SmartQueue which cannot be hardware offloaded, then you need to verify that the max SmartQueue throughput of the ER-4 won't bottleneck your internet speeds. For instance I know my ER-X with QoS SmartQueue maxed out at ~200mbps, so it was pointless for internet that was 400mbps down, but it was useful for 20mbps up.

My knowledge of ER-X is all I have to contribute to here other than make sure that you don't expect anything downstream from your 2.5 gbps switch to handle anything more than 1gbps per port.

9 hours ago, SVThuh said:

Cable modem doesn't have any routing capabilities, hence the router. I see what you mean about the SFP, copper is cheaper and easier.  The 2.5gb switch is for the three computers that acutally have 2.5gb ethernet nics (gaming pc, editing pc, unraid box).

Aha ok good to know.

Id stay eith copper till the day it doesnt cut it.

Router is thus needed. Then your setup idea is ok just whats the reaon for the expensive ap?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 1:09 AM, jaslion said:

Aha ok good to know.

Id stay eith copper till the day it doesnt cut it.

Router is thus needed. Then your setup idea is ok just whats the reaon for the expensive ap?

I just wanted something good that will just work.  

I actually scrapped this idea fully, except for my HP switch.  

I just bought a Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro, 2x uniFi 6+ APs, and two POE injectors.  I think I’ll be good for a while.