Extremely slow browser

Protomesh

My gaming computer has an issue. I can run games perfectly fine, Discord is fast. Steam is fast. Steam's own web browser (still using Chrome by default) is very fast.

But when I use an actual browser like Opera GX or desktop Chrome, they are EXTREMELY sluggish. Like I mean EXTREMELY.

I can run intensive games at high fps, my internet is very fast too and I am using an Nvme SSD, no hard drive. 

Opening simple tabs takes like 10 seconds, and if I have too many open they literally just freeze and turn into blank black pages because they won't load properly. 

YouTube is the worst. Even if I turn quality down to 144p, any attempts to start watching videos, or pause said videos is delayed by at least 20-30 seconds. Sometimes registering single clicks as double clicks due to the massive amount of lag.

Opening dask manager briefly seems to fix this issue, but after closing task manager the issue persists.

All my other programs are very fast like VLC media player or my emulators. Steam games are fast.

I tried looking up into it but no clue what to do. Someone suggested turning off hardware acceleration, which I did. It didn't help at all.

I have noticed this issue across multiple computers. Both my gaming desktop and my 2 laptops are all lagging in browsers recently (been happening for like 3 weeks now out of nowhere) before that there was no issue.

I have AdBlock on desktop but I don't use them on my laptops, yet those laptops are still lagging. So it's not an adblock related issue, yet this started happening exactly as there were rumors going around of YouTube artificially slowing itself if AdBlock is in use.

Idk what to do. It's not hardware related.

I'm going to try other browsers now besides Opera GX / Chrome. But I doubt anything will be different.

Strange behaviour, any luck with different browser?

Try change your dns to 8.8.8.8?

Will it make any difference?

If not try find common problem with your laptops and desktop.

Its either network issue or program issue that you have installed on both machines?

Try removing extensions try find difference

At least thats what telling me.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

4 hours ago, BoomerDutch said:

Strange behaviour, any luck with different browser?

Try change your dns to 8.8.8.8?

Will it make any difference?

If not try find common problem with your laptops and desktop.

Its either network issue or program issue that you have installed on both machines?

Try removing extensions try find difference

At least thats what telling me.

dns? I ain't got a clue what that is. 

I am not having a network issue with anything else but the browsers, particularly YouTube, regardless of extensions. My connection is perfect in games and discord and steam's web browser work perfectly fine. 

4 hours ago, whispous said:

Has this occurred from day 1 of this PC or only recently?

Been going on for the last 3 weeks, so pretty recently, however it has gotten worse over time during those 3 weeks. Today was unbearable.

Do you have other antivirus "suites" installed?  Or it could be AD block. (I have not used it personally).  Some of these products can add themselves as a plugin to your "google chrome profile" (not just the 1 computer) and then they get installed automatically on any chrome browser you are logged into.   This happened with my wife logging into her chrome browser at work, linked Norton to her account and then it installed its scanner and password manager on the home computer.  

You can try running Chrome without plugins (a quick google will show you how to launch it "vanilla" or create a new google user and run on that.  This would be the my main guess as Steam "chromium" runs fine and you are most likely signed into chrome on all your computers.

If it is not that, and it is still slow without plugins, the long shots are to update the video card drivers on your computers but unlikely since your issue is across multiple computers.

It is suspicious is if it goes away with task manager open.  That is a sign you have malware on your computer and the malware goes idle when it sees task manager running..

3 hours ago, Protomesh said:

dns? I ain't got a clue what that is. 

I am not having a network issue with anything else but the browsers, particularly YouTube, regardless of extensions. My connection is perfect in games and discord and steam's web browser work perfectly fine. 

It's really weird might be possible that you 

have malware.

Are you logged in and synced across other devices? If so then that's how its spread to other browsers.

If its not then i would try what @Allan B have told you.

On 1/31/2024 at 3:49 AM, Allan B said:

Do you have other antivirus "suites" installed?  Or it could be AD block. (I have not used it personally).  Some of these products can add themselves as a plugin to your "google chrome profile" (not just the 1 computer) and then they get installed automatically on any chrome browser you are logged into.   This happened with my wife logging into her chrome browser at work, linked Norton to her account and then it installed its scanner and password manager on the home computer.  

You can try running Chrome without plugins (a quick google will show you how to launch it "vanilla" or create a new google user and run on that.  This would be the my main guess as Steam "chromium" runs fine and you are most likely signed into chrome on all your computers.

If it is not that, and it is still slow without plugins, the long shots are to update the video card drivers on your computers but unlikely since your issue is across multiple computers.

I have used them but I never had any issues with them. Not having them doesn't change anything either. The browser(s) will still be laggy without any addons.

My GPU drivers are up to date and yeah it's across multiple computers.

On 1/31/2024 at 3:53 AM, Allan B said:

It is suspicious is if it goes away with task manager open.  That is a sign you have malware on your computer and the malware goes idle when it sees task manager running..

That would be odd since it started happening on multiple computers simultaneously. 

On 1/31/2024 at 6:42 AM, BoomerDutch said:

It's really weird might be possible that you 

have malware.

Are you logged in and synced across other devices? If so then that's how its spread to other browsers.

If its not then i would try what @Allan B have told you.

I am not synced on the computers in any way. 

45 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

I am not synced on the computers in any way. 

Then a program/extentions got updated and it's starting issues try find latest update of which program and is installed across 3 devices.

On 2/1/2024 at 11:47 PM, BoomerDutch said:

Then a program/extentions got updated and it's starting issues try find latest update of which program and is installed across 3 devices.

It's not extensions because I am not using extensions on my laptops and they're still super slow for no reason

2 hours ago, Protomesh said:

It's not extensions because I am not using extensions on my laptops and they're still super slow for no reason

Then its possible that you do have network issues related to browsers.

Try change dns?

Otherwise i have literally no idea how you got 3 devices and all of them is slow.

Hi all,

I have the same issue. I don't remember exactly when it started but maybe November 2023. I have the ad blocker which I am using since 3 years ago and it never created any issues. The biggest difference in speed I see when I use YouTube. It is so slow that my blood pressure goes through the roof. 

Its not a hardware of my PC because its pretty much ok, its not internet because its fast for normal standards (500/300 MBPS) and I think its not ad blocker.

When I use EDGE its working fine but when I switch on Google chrome I can hear the fans in the case starting to spin really fast.

I want to keep using Chrome but I don't see it possible.

Already tried:

- reinstalling google chrome

- clearing browsing data

- clearing cookies

The issue remains. I don't know what else to try.

Sorry for my English.

BR

Filip

btw the spikes in CPU is just from fast scrolling through shorts on YouTube 

image.thumb.png.da752078950d3e572f33c9c88ef07c99.png

Try thorium it's what Chris titus Tech uses.

As for YouTube honestly I'm using their app (andriod) or I'm using opensource called freetube which it does solve fast loading although the searches doesn't always work great.

Have tried going into Chrome settings-->System and toggle hardware acceleration on/off? I have mine set to <off> on my PCs. You'd think chrome would be faster with it on but in my case it isn't. I consistently have 15-20 tabs open all day and no issues with YouTube.

9 hours ago, BoomerDutch said:

Then its possible that you do have network issues related to browsers.

Try change dns?

Otherwise i have literally no idea how you got 3 devices and all of them is slow.

I can't change dns or anything of that kind.

No network issues in any other applications and my phone in the same network works perfectly fine.

53 minutes ago, KCMichaelB said:

Have tried going into Chrome settings-->System and toggle hardware acceleration on/off? I have mine set to <off> on my PCs. You'd think chrome would be faster with it on but in my case it isn't. I consistently have 15-20 tabs open all day and no issues with YouTube.

Yes I have tried that it didn't help at all.

On 2/5/2024 at 1:36 PM, Protomesh said:

I can't change dns or anything of that kind.

No network issues in any other applications and my phone in the same network works perfectly fine.

Why can't you change DNS? Do you have some particular ISP that doesn't allow it?

9 hours ago, silencer12 said:

Why can't you change DNS? Do you have some particular ISP that doesn't allow it?

Uhhh dns can be changed.

3 ways of changing dns

1. Device you're using can be changed in network settings.

2. Router 

3. Modem

Public dns is 8.8.8.8 

Or Alternative add new device with pi-hole installed and direct your dns to pi-hole

Dns is for reqeusting domain's ips

My geuss other programs has already info in order to connect.

11 hours ago, BoomerDutch said:

Uhhh dns can be changed.

3 ways of changing dns

1. Device you're using can be changed in network settings.

2. Router 

3. Modem

Public dns is 8.8.8.8 

Or Alternative add new device with pi-hole installed and direct your dns to pi-hole

Dns is for reqeusting domain's ips

My geuss other programs has already info in order to connect.

Well the OP said he can't change DNS.

I already know how to do it.

10 minutes ago, silencer12 said:

Well the OP said he can't change DNS.

I already know how to do it.

Yeah i know but it's strange if isp isn't allowing it.

Do they own your router or device or smth?

Like why do you ask if OPs isp is not allowing it?