Connecting Headset to Xbox/PS5

strnfrnz

Hi everybody,

I am currently planning to rewire my entire TV setup and ran into some problems … Currently my Xbox Series X and PS5 are both connected to my Sony TV (HDMI 2.1 Port) through a HDMI switch (4K 120Hz). The TV is connected to a Yamaha RN803D through an optical cable. If I am playing single player on either consoles I can just connect the headset (Beyerdynamic MMX300) directly to the receiver.

However, I also want to use the headset for playing multiplayer games with friends (primarily FPS) - because of my setup I am currently stuck with connecting the headset to the controller which drastically impacts the audio quality and is really bad for controlling the microphone/headphone volume.

Because of that I am currently looking into different devices that allow me to connect the headset directly to the Xbox and PS5 to improve the audio quality. I already looked at the

• Astro Gaming MixAMP Pro TR (Xbox)
  • SteelSeries Game DAC Gen2 (Xbox)

but they are only advertised to work with the Xbox/PC or PS5/PC … if there are any workarounds for these devices or if you have a better solution for me I would really appreciate your help. The budget would be about 150-200€ (Europe).

Thank you in advance!

strnfrnz

If you are directly plugging the device to the console using usb, then they should be compatible with both consoles, even if it is only designed for one. However, I am not an expert, so probably wait for someone else to confirm. I have had a PS5 before and have connected audio devices not designed for the console that still worked.

The Steelseries Arctis 7X and Arctis Nova 7X(newer more available version) work on both Xbox Series S / X and PS5. 

As far as a adapter for your current headset, I'd have no idea. Some headsets just aren't compatible with both, and some Dacs/adpaters are console specific. Unless you can try just plugging it in via USB, that may just work, the problem is sometimes features don't work like the volume adjust or microphone, it's always best to just buy a headset that works with what you want. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Thank you both for your answers …

20 hours ago, ulookuglynoob said:

If you are directly plugging the device to the console using usb, then they should be compatible with both consoles, even if it is only designed for one. However, I am not an expert, so probably wait for someone else to confirm. I have had a PS5 before and have connected audio devices not designed for the console that still worked.

My headset (MMX300) can only connect via a 3,5mm combo jack or 2x3,5mm mic/headphone jacks - unfortunately there is no USB connectivity. 

Thats the reason why i need some AMP or DAC in-between that connects to both consoles via USB and has a 6,5mm or 3,5mm output for my headset.

19 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

The Steelseries Arctis 7X and Arctis Nova 7X(newer more available version) work on both Xbox Series S / X and PS5.  

Do you also know if the Xbox version of the Arctis Nova Pro works on the Xbox and PS5? If yes the GameDAC should also work with both consoles with other headsets.

3 hours ago, strnfrnz said:

Do you also know if the Xbox version of the Arctis Nova Pro works on the Xbox and PS5? If yes the GameDAC should also work with both consoles with other headsets.

I have the Arctis Nova Pro Wireless, I have not tried it on anything other than my PC personally. However, when doing the research for the headset I did notice a lot of reviews saying the Xbox version worked with all three, Xbox via the Xbox port and PC/PS5 via the USB port for PC. That is only with the included DAC and only with the Xbox/PC Version of the headset. The SteelSeries DAC included with the Arctis Nova Pro Wireless only works with that headset if I'm not mistaken. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |